“Great find”
Review of Carpe DM Hotel

Carpe DM Hotel
Ranked #1 of 314 Nha Trang B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the middle of the main strip of Nha Trang but in the middle of the local houses so you don't get any noise. We were in a room on first floor over looking the football pitches and were never disturbed it was very peaceful. The room is immaculate and cleaned daily however cleaner kept forgetting to lock balcony door but no harm and would be difficult for someone to get in. Mini bar not much more expensive than local shops and good quick laundry service. Did not eat there as wanted to sample the local offerings which were all good. Would stay again great stay

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank katie23Wakefield

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We booked our room at the Carpe DM well in advance of our intended holiday and Danny, the owner, was very helpful and prompt in replying to our emails.

We arranged the airport pickup a couple of days before arriving and it is well worth it - the hotel would have been difficult for us to find on our own.

The location of the hotel, although at the bottom of some quiet lanes, is very central for restaurants and bars, and is only a 10 minute walk to the beach.

We booked a superior room and it was absolutely brilliant and by far our best room in Vietnam. The giant bed was lovely and comfortable, the furniture was of a good quality with plenty storage and a comfy leather sofa and chair. We had a flat screen tv with plenty of channels, if you were having a night in. Wifi access was very good. Room cleaned daily.

The bathroom was spacious and modern with plenty hot water and towels changed daily.

As well as keeping the rooms spotlessly clean, the stairways, passages and all public areas are constantly cleaned by the housekeeping girls - they take great pride in their work.

Breakfast was very good and excellent value at 60,000 dong pp. Eggs (fried, scrambled, omelette etc), bacon and tomatoes. Plenty of tea or coffee and fresh orange juice. Crusty baguettes, cheese and jam.

We should also mention that there is 24 hour security here. The security guy lets you in at whatever time of the night you return!!

Danny, Tho, their family and all the staff are brilliant. Nothing too much trouble, they were always around in the background if you needed anything, but not pushy in any way. They are very knowledgeable about the surrounding area.

We stayed here for 19 nights and enjoyed every minute - we hope to come back for longer next year.

In our opinion, this has to be the best value hotel around. Highly recommend.

Thank you Danny, Tho and Family for making our stay so enjoyable.

3  Thank aljuan
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at around 2am due to our overnight train being delayed by four hours. The older gentleman that oversees the hotel at night let us in but had to wake up someone to sort out our checking in process. We were very glad that there is someone at the hotel 24/7 to let us in at a ridiculous hour!

The room was incredible. It's very big and includes a bath/shower combo and a balcony to chill out on. A double bedroom was more than big enough for our five night stay.

We didn't see much of the owner Danny but his son was more helpful when we needed it. We woke up quite late each day because we spent a lot of time around Nha Trang at night, so can't comment on what the breakfast was like.

Carpe DM is down an alley shaped like a square. The taxi driver that took us to the hotel knew where it was. If the taxi driver doesn't know where it is, just say Oasis Bar or Booze Cruise, the alleyway is between the two. The hotel is close to that main road and walking distance to most places. I suggest taking a bus to Vinpearl as it's cheap and Vinpearl makes for a great day out. Also try Ganesh's Indian Restaurant along the same road as Booze Cruise, it's probably the best Indian we've ever had.

I can't bring myself to give Carpe DM five stars, especially when comparing to some of the other places we've stayed at and the minor problems that we had during our stay. Don't let this put you off though, as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Carpe DM. There are two football pitches close to the back of the hotel, and Vietnamese locals are playing football as early as 5am. Some mornings there was even loud music coming from somewhere, this was also as early as 5am and woke us up several mornings of our stay. The staff behind reception aren't as friendly or communicative compared to what we've experienced on our travels of south east asia. They help you when you ask but no more than that.

Again, a great stay, very close to the beach and a very good price for the standard of the room.

1  Thank Troy P
Danny D, Owner at Carpe DM Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi Troy, Thank you for your nice and constructive review. I decided to respond to this review (I don't do it often because reviews, in order to be informative, should lead a life of their own) because there are a few observations well made and absolutely worth my consideration.
About myself : I'm mostly working in the background (excepting in the morning when I help out with serving breakfast and if someone wants my help at any moment), but as you mentioned, my son is a worthy replacement (I taught him my ways rather than the Vietnamese; apologies).
"They help you when you ask, no more than that" (your words - the undertone is like you're a little bit disappointed and I detected it in some other reviews). My family and myself lived most of our lives in the western world. Hence we concentrate in the hotel on cleanliness of our rooms, polite attitude (no unnecessary interference with guests as they are not here to see us), prompt response to whatever request (information, deficiencies in the room), etc. . A very western approach. And I hope it's fair to say that many people also appreciate this kind of approach. Personally I would be alarmed if someone tried to help me if I don't ask for it and in Asean countries a lot of people make a living out of trying to help you without you asking for it.
As for the military music : it is allover Nha Trang in the morning (a 25 minutes recital, 5 days a week). Together with many other hotel owners we decided not to even try to interfere with Vietnamese state matters. The noise from the football pitch (due to the early rise policy of the Vietnamese) is (I think) a minor annoyance if you compare it to 'bar noises' late at night or the 'street noises' early in the morning. I cannot stop the Vietnamese to live their lives and the area where the hotel is located is one of the quietest in Nha Trang (one of my guests told me : this is so quiet that people start thinking that the slightest noise pollution is a violation of there privacy).
I am also a guest in this country and there was a time when I thought : "those bloody Vietnamese, they wake you up at six and when everybody is awake they go back to sleep!", but I've learned since that integration is about acceptance (we all have different ways often culturally rooted). I have still a long way to go, in many ways... .
By the way Troy, I'm sure you must have seen me in the Booze Cruise as I also like my daily beer(s).

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Great value, great location, great service and great owners.

Room was clean and in very good condition. Danny, Tho and family, and staff were fantastic and friendly.

Breakfast was simple and value for money. Hotel is ideally located within walking distance of the main strip and the beach.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank rntruong
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stopped at the Carpe DM in March and although a touch tricky to find at 6am after just coming off a sleeper bus was not disappointed .. $18.50 for a double room and value for money indeed, a nice big room and a very clean and lovely room, the best one I stayed in while in Vietnam. Danny the owner was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, I stopped here on my own and nothing was too much bother, I also rented a Moped from the hotel $3 for the day. A must stop in Nha Trang, about 6mins walk to the beach and situated very near the bars and restaurants but not too near to be noisey.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank P4J
Reviewed April 3, 2013

What a great place to stay. Everything is still as good as new, rooms are quite spacious and the value for money is the best we found in all our travels throughout Vietnam. Would not hesitate to recommend anyone to stay here and book early. Helpful and friendly owner. One of the best value for money hotels in the world and in a great location near all bars and restaurants

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is incredible value even by Vietnamese standards.Spotlessly clean hotel and room.The
suite we had was large with a nice balcony.Other benefits were the in room safe and a well stocked bar fridge at excellent prices.Danny and his family were very friendly and helpful but not at all pushy.A nice quiet location a hundred metres from the action and a little further to the beach.

3  Thank 40scarsdale