“We keep coming back here.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Com Ngon Lanh
Ranked #146 of 477 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
“We keep coming back here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We have been in Nha Trang for about a month now. We have eaten at dozens of restaurants but we always seem to keep coming back here. The quality of the food, the service and the good value can't be beat.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vonghost

Los Angeles, California
“Review Redux”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Com Ngon Lanh - Review 03-05-13

I reviewed this restaurant a little over 14 months ago. Sadly, the same experience was not had this evening, and I have to agree with most of the recent ‘average’ reviews and czhunty’s review of March 2012, “I was expecting local priced gem as it used to be..”. I also concur with jeera27’s review of 2-23-12, which was the reason we returned last night.

We arrived at the restaurant just before 7 pm. We waited for a server to seat us, even though there was only one table available on the first floor, where we were placed next to a couple guys that were smoking. Normally, I don’t mind sitting near smokers if the area is open air or there are some fans blowing. We had to move the table a bit away from them.

There was only one server, shuttling plates of food up and down the restaurant's two floors. In addition, she was taking orders, handling dinner bills and returning change. When we ate here in December of 2011, there were no less than two or three wait staff. We were handed a batch of menus (five I think) to peruse while I waited for a beverage. Like the last time, the menu is the most extensive one I’ve seen in Asia. Is that now a problem? Do they now offer so much to choose from they cannot provide a few spectacular offerings?

We finally ended up choosing two bowls of Hu Tieu - My Tho (40,000d each), Fried ‘Chem” (chim?) fish, perhaps also known as pomfret (55,000d), and Roasted duck, Peking style (70,000d). Oh yes, we also had to pay for steamed rice (5,000d). It’s a minimal price but sort of insulting when so many other restaurants would include steamed rice with your entrée. The Saigon beer was the same price as last year (15,000d), which is sort of a surprise since our total bill was half again as much as it was last year and the server said that we only ordered one bowl of Hu Tieu, when I quite sure that we had ordered two but only received one. Was she so busy and stressed that she got the order wrong?

My wife is from My Tho, and she said the Hu Tieu - My Tho was nothing like what they serve in the Delta region. I agreed. The server didn’t even offer to bring us out another bowl if we chose to order and pay for one, so we passed.

The fried fish, even though it was a flat fish, was overcooked or overfried. It didn’t have much body to it, and it certainly wasn’t moist. The same went for the duck. To be clear, we expected small portions for the price paid but they were not prepared as nicely as in December 2011. Had the restaurant changed hands since our last visit?

Unfortunately, the service was much less than expected and the food was not worth the price charged for the portions served. The only item that shined at dinner was the Saigon beer, still the same price and quality of a product not substantially controlled by the restaurant. The pendulum has swung - 2.5 stars.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Richard G
Nha Trang, Viet Nam
“Best priced meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Best price for a "real" restaurant (meaning one that has tables and normal sized chairs, table service, napkins, menus, etc). Extensive list of real Vietnamese foods (meaning same names as you will find in restaurants that cater to the Vietnamese).

My favorites include banh cuon and sinh tho xaoi.

Eat up stairs and try to get a balcony seat.

Only oddity is that although they have a breakfast menu they do not open until 9:30

Visited April 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
“touristy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

i was expecting local priced gem as it used to be but it's slowly disappearing between the concuration. Taste is nice, portions small but still reasonably priced for the area, service chilled during no rush hour, I know this is 'russian city' but you can still walk for 5 minutes and get great food with locals for half of the price. In the end it's nice place close to your hotel but for vietnamese atmosphere look somewhere else.

• Visited March 2012
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Not a good meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

We visited this restaurant a couple of times when we were last in Nha Trang and found the food delicious so returned for our first meal this visit. We were very disappointed. as a non meat eater I chose the meal had previously eaten here - simmered tofu with curry sauce - it was tasteless, think they had forgotten the curry sauce as the only taste was from the few green peppers sprinkled on it.
When we arrived at 8pm the restaurant was empty which should have told us something, the 2 waitressess were busy making chopstick covers and we had to go and ask to be served. We will be in Nha Trang for a few weeks and were looking forward to eating here but will be taking it from our list of favourite eating places.

• Visited February 2012