“Dirty facilities and unscrupulous manager”
Review of My Long Hostel

My Long Hostel
My Long Hostel
Ranked #110 of 215 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed here only one night. They call themselves My Long Hotel instead of hostel. This hotel keeps motorbikes in their lobby. Their bathtubs are old. Their plumbing seeps. Their rooms (we stayed in 2 different rooms) have ashtrays and faint odors of smoke. The breakfast is just a fried egg with some tomatoes and cilantro for color, and a cup of tea. No choices, no menu. The manager kept pressuring us to buy tours from her. We finally book a sleeping bus through her because she spoke so highly of it. The Cuc Tung bus experience was unpleasant, starting with a pick up 30 minutes later than promised, followed by a broken sleeping chair, drivers who smoked while driving, and passengers sleeping in the aisles on both sides of me.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dancingirl_11

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Hotel was booked via the Tuan open tour company in Saigon. Brochure is deceiving, no sea view, awful bathroom, shower on top of toilet, VERY noisy, family made a racket until late at night with 2 children aged 5 or 6 running up and down the stairs, no outside window. Worst stay in Vietnam thus far. Over priced. Tip is not to book hotels through the bus company agents, over priced and sub standard.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed March 24, 2011

MyLong guest house was such a breath of fresh air compared to so many other hostels in Vietnam. The room was clean, cheap and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The tours they organised for us were so much fun and were definitely highlights for our time in Nha Trang. Definitely worth the stay in Nha Trang.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VivianLy23
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Where to begin...? The air conditioner didn't work, so we were moved to another room which had the same problem a long with 3 single beds pushed together disguised as a big bed... The bathroom smelt horrible, and staff were pushy and as useless as a ham sandwich in Jeruselum. Half the tv channels didn't work. Every time we left the building we were accosted about 'where are you going' and ' why do you not want to take a tour?'. The constant persistance to sell tours grew tiresome. When we finally booked a bus to Hoi An they couldn't even give us the name of the bus company. The place had an overall bad vibe. Highly not recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed April 26, 2010

SORRY THE REVIEW IS LONG BUT STAYING HERE WAS A NIGHTMARE!

Synopsis:
Toilet door didn`t shut.
Cleaned room once in 3 days.
scary night staff.
cockroaches, ants, fleas, bugs, rats etc.
pushy tour seller.
nothing like leaflet.

My wife and I booked a double bedroom here through a travel agent. (Vinaday, Ho Chi Minh) We based our booking on a fantastic looking leaflet which has pictures of modern clean rooms and a fantastic looking rooftop swimming pool, to be honest the leaflet made the Hotel look like a 4 star hotel, we thought how could we go wrong for a modest $21 a night (delicious breakfast was extra). We were told we where very lucky to get a room as it was a public holiday and everywhere was booked up. (alarm bells)

We arrived at 5pm they offer a 24hr check in system eg. you check in at 5 you leave at 5 the next day which works out well sometimes but bare in mind that if you arrive at 6 am you will need to be out the door by 6 am the next day so be warned. As the other reviews have said the first impression is not to bad, we where met be a smiling young lady who helped carry our bags from the taxi chatting and smiling all the way. She handed us and another couple who had just arrived our room keys and showed us to our room. As we ascended the 3 long flights of stairs we where taken a back by just how different the hotel looked to the leaflet. When we got to our room were we were sure this hotel was not the same as the leaflet and it never was, even if the photos where taken 30 years ago there was no way it was the same place it was horrible, there where cracks in the ground where ants and bugs where erupting out and there where horrible creepy crawlys all over the bed (3rd floor) there where empty bottles and general grime from the previous guests who had stayed there. We sat there in shock, bugs where everywhere even crawling on our bags we where not brave enough to check the bathroom we came out where the other guests were freaking out they left straight away after paying $18 to get their passport back.

As we have stayed in some very run down places in India we thought we could cope and asked to change room (we had already paid the travel agent in HCMC). The next room we had was an improvement so we agreed to stay.

The problems we had with this room and hotel continued throughout our stay, there was no hot water, the air conditioner dripped a bucket of water, there where loads of cockroaches (I bravely fought off these evil devil creatures with the complimetery jelly flip flop they leave moulding in the corner of your room) The TV was dangerous it made funny noises and most channels where un-watchable, there was a fridge but no plug socket for it, the other power socket sizzled when in use, the toilet door could not be closed, the bugs where everywhere, the wardrobe was permanantly open and could not be closed. there are no curtains so people can and door peer in your windows.

Its not that close to the beach and they seem to shut up the place and turn the lights off really early at night there is some fellow who sleeps in his dirty beige underpants in a chair and unlocks the door if you knock hard enough to wake him. The day time staff are rude and abrupt and are only interested in selling tours (some with dancing bears and cycling monkeys and there was a tour with some kid riding an ostrich) if your not interested in paying to fund animal cruelty they wont talk to you, everytime I spoke to the lady about anything she would turn away from me and make a phone call. they cleaned our room only once in 3 days and huffed when I asked for a dry towl after 2 days. The 2nd day when we came back from the beach the lady at reception kept shouting "go home, you go home" which was hysterical and scary at the same time, we reckon it was lost in translation and it was another attempt at selling a tour, which they where very keen on pushing at every oppurtunity. We where due to catch a night bus at 8pm but as we checked in at 5pm we asked if we could stay another couple of hours whereby the owner said No! we would have to pay another $21 to stay another 3 hours she then started to go on about how in Singapore some hotels are charging $200+ a night, as if we should be greatfull we are only being charged $21 to stay in this dump.

We had a good time in Nha Trang its really a great place where there is loads to do but The My Long was the real thorn in our side, this is the worst hotel we have stayed in. in vietnam.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Princeprawn
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Was recommended by the hotel that we stayed with in in Hoi An and based on the leaflet that they gave us, which looked very nice (pool on the roof, lovely fresh bedrooms, 80's bathrooms, great view), felt on that basis it would be ok. Arrived in Danang hoping to be met by a taxi that was arranged for by the hotel. It wasn't there on our arrival but turned up after a phone call and 15 minutes later.

Eventually arrived at the hotel and were met by a very nice lady, who then offered us drinks and tours. We expressed interest in a cultural tour the following day that she agreed she would be happy to book for us. After about 10 minutes where we discussed the tour and cost of hotel, 30 dollars. The 30 dollars supposedly also included breakfast, fruit etc etc. (although the book suggested only 18 dollars match) In the meantime my friend went to the loo and came back horrified. The rooms looked squalid, the bathroom was dirty and the loo was unwashed....we still hadn't been shown to our room! My friend said she didn't want to stay so based on this, I asked where the pool was and showed her the leaflet which at that point she outlined that they got it wrong and the leaflet is incorrect. That was in fact her aunts hotel.
So to cut a long story short we went to her Aunt's hotel that was very nice, clean, pool on roof etc and had two very pleasant nights there.

However this lady from MY Long said that she would still book us our cultural tour so the rip off merchant. It was advertised at 45 dollars each but she said that she would get us exactly the same tour for 37 dollars per person. So we gave her the money (so stupid) and subsequent to chasing her down the road to get our money back, needless to say an a/c van did not turn up, nor did English speaking guides, nor did we get our mud-bath trip, or lovely lunch in a Nha Trang...the list goes on. A complete rip off and lost 74 dollars. Do not trust this lady or stay anywhere near here. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Yes, at first I thought too that it was a friendly place...
Arriving on the 18th of March I slept only one night there. On the 19th of March I had to catch an overnight train for Danang. My long Hotel's manager booked my train ticket charging a fairly big booking fee which initially I thought was fair enough. To cut a long story short I specifically asked for a soft sleeper and paid for it + a booking fee. When My long's Manager handed me the train ticket, another piece of paper was stappled over the ticket price. On that piece of paper she wrote my room number & paid. Trusting her, I went to the train station that evening to find out that instead of booking a soft sleeper she had actually booked a hard one. Then I checked my train ticket and looked under the stapled piece of paper to find out that she hid the price of a hard sleeper. How nice! So for her to make $2, I spent the night in an overcrowed hard sleeper which contain 6 sleepers (we were actually 9 persons in it!). I would have prefer if she had charged me an extra $2 on the booking fee if she was so desparate...
Finally before I left My Long Hotel I noticed a dead rat in the pond near the reception. I discretly told the manager thinking it would give a bad impression about her hotel. She promptly removed the dead rat before anymore customer took notice. She thanked me for letting her know before anyone else could see it.
Anyhow I will NEVER recommend MY LONG HOTEL. To me the manager is just dishonnest and very sneaky. This place is not friendly, they are just cheaters.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo