“Good homely food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Refuge

Refuge
Ranked #21 of 477 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: An establishment convivial and welcoming. A decor atypical in wood, a chalet in Vietnam. A change of scene in Vietnam, where you will find great french meal, delicious and generous. For sure a place you should test !
London, United Kingdom
“Good homely food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Unpretentious home cooked food. Good value for money with large portions (maybe too large) and a friendly, welcoming, but not overwhelming host. Cordon Bleu, which the owner does push hard, was just alright, nothing special and far too big. Fantastic chocolate mousse.

• Visited November 2013

• Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Hoi An, Vietnam
“owner way too commercial and obstructive - Food ok...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

As you step into the door, you are quickly sat and told what you should order. The owner is way too pushy and really tries to get all the dongs out of your pocket. Nothing wrong with suggesting meals but there it was too much for my liking. My wife also made the same comment when we were back at the hotel. He raves about his cordon bleu which honestly is just a big portion but nothing memorable and of course the blue cheese sauce that he of course forgets to tell you he will charge you for it (2usd).Which was good to recommend in some way as the cordon bleu would have been extremely dry and boring to eat.

My wife has beef steak, OK - pepper sauce was simply the cheapest compromise of a pepper sauce. We make it better at home maybe less tight on the important ingredients.
We eat all the food so I wouldn't say it was bad but really when we left at 30usd for 2; I felt like I got robbed for what I got. And that's just for 2 main course and two glasses of budget wine ( he sure does pull 6 glasses per bottle in servings)

If you dont mind being told what to eat and hear how amazing the owner is about all he does and you are ok to spend quite a lot for very average food give this place a try otherwise go somewhere else.

Advise to the owner as I see I am not the only to comment on the same negatives greet the customer but let them breath a little if they want to talk to you they will themselves.

Much more impressed with le bouchon restaurant. food, value and service

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Alex H
Grasse, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“almost sympatic, some very good dishes, some "standard"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

The dishes are very good and "really french".
Cordon bleu and tartiflette were terrific.
I don't agree with the "ungood" notes:
yes, boss was really present at the beginning, but let us eat and discuss afterward.
the dishes are very good, and very french (I'm french)
Only issue we had, was a group of 5 men coming at the end of our diner, which were very drunk and speaking very loud.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Pierre L
Christchurch, New Zealand
“totally fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were greeted by the owner when we arrived for lunch and he recommended some excellent dishes. The meals are filling and big; definitely good value for money. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the owner so friendly that we returned that evening to have dinner. My favourites were the crepes, I had the mushroom one, the Nutella and the apple and cinnamon, all amazing! We felt very relaxed, welcomed and at home in this restaurant. I fully recommend it to anybody who needs a break from the bustle of Vietnam. The grolle cocktail was fantastic, you must try it!

• Visited September 2013
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“A fantastic French dining experience in Vietnam.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I just relocated to Nga Trang, Vietnam, and stumbled upon this restaurant. It doesn't look grand from the outside, but thats because they have the door closed because its one of the only places in town with air conditioning! The proprietor/owner greeted me in French and English and from there collaborated on a fantastic dining experience, giving his recommendations from the menu, helping me with pairing wine, and letting me sample items. He even encouraged me to try the chocolate mousse, which I am eternally grateful because it was the best I'd ever had. There was a fun mix of French nationals, travelers, and vacationers in there, all interacting and laughing in the intimate environment. I really recommend this place for those people in Nga Trang who want to get away from the touristy restaurants and instead have some great local French-Viet fusion cuisine.

• Visited August 2013