“Great meal and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Refuge

Refuge
Ranked #21 of 487 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: An establishment convivial and welcoming. A decor atypical in wood, a chalet in Vietnam. A change of scene in Vietnam, where you will find great french meal, delicious and generous. For sure a place you should test !
“Great meal and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We had the chicken cordon bleu and pork chops. Both meals were excellent - presentation, quality, and taste. The service from Dimitri was also great.

• Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“A French restaurant with personality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is an interesting place. The omni-present owner, Dimitri, runs the restaurant with his Vietnamese wife. It is a tiny place - like a small log cabin - in which Dimitri's extrovert personality rules supreme. There are only 5 tables with a maximum capacity of around 20 people. Clearly at least one customer writing for Trip Advisor found the owner to be overpowering - over the top. My friend and I thought he was welcoming, good fun and professional - all rolled into one. We had a very pleasant evening and some very good food.

I had the cordon bleu (breadcrumbed chicken breast with oozing cheese in the middle), which was copious and delicious. My Vietnamese friend made a wrong choice as it happens. She cannot eat a huge plateful of food (unlike me); so the dish she ordered, which was a plate consisting mostly of potatoes, mixed with pieces of beef and various other ingredients, accompagnied by a green salad - a hearty, good but rather stodgy dish - was too much for her.

I ordered a green salad with the cordon bleu, and was given the ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt) along with a small bowl and a spoon to make my own vinaigrette, which was absolutely fine by me. The strawberry ice cream was delicious and the chocolate mousse was fine. I would classify the food as good and generous home cooking.

Dimitri's voluble personality may not be to everybody's taste, but I take my hat off to him for the energy and attentiveness that he has presumably offered to all his clients since he first opened the restaurant. That's quite a feat.

So Refuge certainly has character, and I would put it half a star ahead of Le Bouchon restaurant in Nha Trang for that reason.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Tim B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Finally! A quality and sensibly priced restaurant outside hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

A small French restaurant with a menu to suit Europeans or Asians.

Food quality better than most restaurants in Nha Trang. A limited wine list but very sensibly priced. A good sized food portions, well cooked, good for sharing. An excellent French host who tries very hard to please all the guests and who's Russian is now better than his Vietnamese.

The Refuge deserves to do well in Nha Trang because the owner is putting quality before quantity and is trying to upgrade the quality of restaurants in Nha Trang which is generally fairly poor just above KFC and pizza quality.

Well done to the Refuge. Worth a visit for anyone visiting Nha Trang for the first time and looking for a decent restaurant. Our empty plates says it all.

Children friendly. Walk-in okay. Cash only basis.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
“Fantastic Food, Service, and Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

The minute the taxi pulled up at the restaurant we were already impressed. We walked into a log cabin and we were immediately greeted cheerly by the owner. We asked for suggestions and ordered our glass of wine (which was fantastic, by the way). My husband ordered the pork chops and I the cordon bleu. To say that we were impressed with the food is an understatement. We repeatedly told the owner that our meal(s) were the best we had eaten in years. It was fresh, hot, and it smelled delicious! The potatoes (side dish) were perfect, especially with the blue cheese and garlic dipping sauce. The owner was exceptionally helpful and friendly during our visit.

We were so satisfied by our experience that my husband literally walked the streets handing out business cards to passers-by as if he worked there. One gentlemen even ask my husband if he was receiving commission!

All this to say we will most certainly be visiting this restaurant again before our visit in Nha Trang is over. We highly recommend it to everyone!

Hong Kong
“French Restaurant?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'd been there just due to some good TA comments. However, a bit disappointed. Neither the decoration nor the food impressed me that it's a typical french restaurant. I'd tried their crocodile main course. I can't say it's not good, but just not so delicious. The most disappointed thing is the baguette. It's not the crispy and fresh type that we used to eat. It just liked it's made last night. A good french restaurant can make anything wrong, but not baguette. Service is also not very good, especially the lady who seems to be the wife of the owner.