“Enjoyable experience, great place to stay in Nha Trang”

Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel and Spa
Ranked #13 of 215 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Spent 5 nights here and had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. The hotel itself definitely met our expectations of a 5 star facility right from pick up at the airport which had been pre-arranged. The room was new, clean and spacious with good views to the beach. The upgrade to a club room was definitely worth the money just for access to the club lounge for free Wifi and complimentary refreshments throughout the day (handy with school aged kids who were always hungry or thirsty)- we looked forward to happy hour in the lounge each afternoon after an exhausting day of touring. Not many quality vietnamese restaurants in Nha Trang like Saigon within walking distance so we ate in the hotel most evenings. Food in the hotel was good, and we could always be assured of its preparation and quality of ingredients (something that was important to us travelling with children, and after having had bad experiences elsewhere). Breakfast had a good range of asian and western choices (try the vietnamese style yoghurt), while pho (the traditional vietnamese beef noodle soup) was always available. Ate at Steam n Spice restaurant twice. The dim sum and hand made noodle soups were fresh, tasty and reasonably priced. Would have liked to see more vietnamese options on the a-la-carte menu at Feast. We found the concierge staff, staff around the pool, and in the club lounge commendable with friendly and attentive service. A special mention goes to the young lady at Toastina who did her best to help us with special requests, and always made us feel welcomed. We had travelled to Nha Trang to relax so the private beach where one does not constantly get hassled to "buy" as is the case with public beaches was nice. The beach itself was fine..although on occasions (depending on tide), the water was not always clear and pristine. Deck chairs, towels and drink service on the beach provided by the hotel made it a nice place to relax. The inifinity pool is lovely and partly shaded for those not wanting to burn and the kids enjoyed the games room. The private tours organised through the Tour desk were enjoyable, and flexible to our needs. There is still a lot of construction around the Sheraton with new hotels going up . Suspect the area won't be as affordable as it currently is in 5 years time. Would not hesitate to stay here again if we returned to Nha Trang.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sammy04

Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Nha Trang for 3 nights and it was a wonderful hotel. The staff was friendly and courteous. We used points for our stay and we were supposedly upgraded to a beach view room (1 king bed room plus we added an extra bed for $50 for the 3 adults + 1 child).

The hotel is pretty new and the first 5 star western hotel in Nha Trang but not for long. There are lots of construction going on and we see Crowne Plaza and other big name western hotels coming, including Westin. It is on the main beach strip but it is not on the beach, per se. You have to cross the street to get to the beach and Sheraton does have its own private section but just a tiny strip (the width of the hotel frontage). Nonetheless, it was nice to be on the private beach because no touts bothered us while we were on the beach. But being on the strip, it can get a little noisy due to the ubiquitous nonstop honking. The room was very nice and spacious. Bathroom was quite interesting; the shower and the bath are all in the same room and glassed in so that you can see it from the bed (you can close the blinds for privacy. The shower has both the rain shower head and the European handheld shower nozzle. The rain shower feature was wonderful and lovely to shower in.

The hotel was pretty packed the first 2 nights since we were there from Fri for 3 nights. Lots of local Vietnamese families were there for the weekend; our guide told us that a lot of Ho Chi Minh families come here for the weekend to unwind. By Sunday afternoon, they were all gone and the hotel was a lot more peaceful. One of the nice features of the hotel is its pool; it's located on the 3rd floor (I think) and it overlooks the beach. It's not very deep (chest high) but it's quite beautiful. There is a little game room by the side of the pool with ping pong table.

We didn't try the hotel breakfast but we saw lots of people eating there. My son did have Spaghetti Bolognese at the pool and thought it was one of the best spaghetti he has ever tasted... We did book a tour with the hotel tour desk and it was nicely done. We booked the Waterfall + Monkey Island tour and we enjoyed it.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel for Nha Trang.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I was in HCM on Business so I decided to take a week to myself and head to Nha Trang for a solo holiday. I booked the Sheraton Hotel right on the beach at Nha Trang, What a beautiful place. I paid the $20 AUD to get picked up & dropped back to the Airport, I was greated with a nice car, cold drink and wet towel at the airport (Very Nice touch).
The hotel itself is VERY nice, the staff are professional and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. I spent most of the week around the pool and pool bar, or on the Sheraton Private part of the beach (also with service)... it was simply beautiful and just the relaxing time I needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a Beach side room, Fantastic view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NigelPBrisbane
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a typical us hotel chain. The location was great the pool was nice the service was below average for anywhere and especially Asia. I am a SPG member and this hotel was the worst I have stayed in Asia. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Kcc727az
MarcomSheratonNT, General Manager at Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2011

Dear Kcc727az,

Warm Greetings from Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel & Spa!

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. We are obviously very concerned about the service you experienced during your stay.

We would like to learn more on what you have experienced, therefore would appreciate if you could contact us at sheraton.nhatrang@sheraton.com in order for us to address the issues.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Scott H

Reviewed June 19, 2011

We recently spent five days attending a family wedding. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Staff were most accommodating, going beyond call of duty. Management was very helpful in trying to locate and then follow up a lost camera.
Accommodation was superb, food was plentiful and pool and spa were most refreshing.
I can thoroughly recommend staying at this great location

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jhtweddle
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We were travelling around Vietnam and had seen everything from small hotels to cold damp budget rooms to tents. We figured before embarking on the trip that we'd want to relax for a few days, and in Vietnam, for Europeans that's luckily still quite easy price-wise.
We chose the Sheraton based on reviews here and I can tell you, it wasn't just because we were released from the awful night train we had to spend 6 hours on, that we instantly loved this place.

+ swimming pool - overlooking the (somewhat dirty) beach of Nha Trang, it was a really good hangout.
+ room - big plush room you're expecting from a 5* hotel in Asia. Very comfy bed, good shower
+ breakfast - you'd almost want to stay an extra day just so that you can sample all the items on offer! We had breakfast included in our room rate, it's worth it in this case.
+ there was a blocked off area on the beach for hotel guests

- Nha Trang is just not that much of a paradise city. For crisp white sandy beaches, choose another country. Nha Trang's beach is good looking and good for relaxing while touring Vietnam, but we did get put off by the trash along the sand - don't think you can have a swim!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HelenAmsterdam
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was staying at a cheap hotel across from Nha Trang beach. It was a typical $20 US a night. I was with my 8 year old daughter. We could not sleep our first night because there was a group of people arguing at 2am. We were on the second floor and were able to hear all the yelling. After a sleepless night, we were once again awaken early in the morning by a large family. They were speaking very loud out in the hall way and kept going in out of their 3 rooms.

Soon after, I got on the computer and searched for another hotel. Luckily, I found the Sheraton just 1/2 a mile away. I booked online and rushed my daughter and I over to the new hotel.

We walked in and were very impressed with the huge lobby. The high ceilings and spacious ground floors where magnificent. They did not receive my confirmation from Expedia, but still allowed me to check in. Our room was a partial ocean view. A few minutes after we settled into the room, someone knocked on the door. A well dressed server offered us to choose fresh whole fruits from a bowl. Once we chose mango, he immediately sliced off the peel and cut the fruit beautifully and placed it on two plates for us.

The room is spacious and well decorated. The view from our window showed the ocean, the beach, and the busy street.

We didn't hear any noise from outside nor from the rooms next to us (thank goodness!). Our booking included breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet is impressive. There is a wide variety of pastries, hot dishes, an egg station, different types of traditional Vietnamese dishes, all sorts of fruits, fresh bread, locally made yogurt, all sorts of fresh juice, and they even make smoothies for you.

We ate at the dim sum restaurant in the hotel. It wasn't great. It was over priced and tasteless. I would recommend to order the noodle soups instead. The service was excellent.

We tried the buffet at night and was not very impressed. I think the breakfast buffet is a better choice and value.

The spa is beautiful except the staff were confused and disorganized. It took them 30 minutes to figure out how to get my bath ready. The gym has new types of equipments and I appreciated the large size of the room. I enjoyed the large jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room in the ladies' lounge. They offer yoga classes in a beautiful wood floor room.

The pool although gorgeous, was too cold, and boring for children. It's difficult to get a tan because the pool is blocked from the sun ray with their room tower. It's great if you are someone who wants to keep their skin light.

If you want to get some sun then head out to the beach across from the hotel. There is a Sheraton employee that helps you cross the busy street to the beach and back. The are private sun beds, beach umbrellas, and towels available for guests. You can even order food while soaking in the sun.

The cocktail lounge is fantastic. It's beautiful and the drink menu is filled with exotic mixture of "East Meets West" influence. The price is a great value. They use high end imported alcohol and charge a minimal amount compare to other bars in town.

The downfalls were two things:

Internet- it sucks! no free wifi. Most hotels (even the cheapy ones) give you free wifi. Sheraton gives you a card with a temporary code that gives you 45 minutes of free internet. I had to go through several cards and it only last 30 minutes. This issue caused for me not to return to this hotel, as often as I would like. I live in Nha Trang now and I don't use their bar lounge for business. Mainly because of the inability to access the internet easily and free. (most coffee shops in VN give you free unlimited internet).

Customer service- there was a mixture of good and bad service. For the cost of the hotel, I did expect service to be above average. I was hassled twice about my daughter's breakfast buffet pass. The front desk personnel and the hostess kept saying that my room did not include two breakfast buffet. I kept insisting that it did since I booked a room for two. Finally, they saw that I was right and left me alone. By then, I was turned off by their lack of professionalism.

No phone calls allowed in the late evenings- I was going through a family crisis and I was expecting late phone calls in the evening from family members. I was wondering why I was not receiving my phone calls. I had to go downstairs and use the public computers and pray that my silly internet code was going to work. One did and I reached my sister and she informed that the operator did not let her call through my room. There was nothing I could do. *I would think that the Sheraton group would understand that their hotel chains are all over the world. Therefore, clients are traveling from different parts of the world as well and may not have a phone that works in certain countries. In addition, there are different time zones to consider when accommodating world travelers.

For these three reason, I will re-consider whether to stay in a Sheraton when traveling out the country.

Room Tip: Get a partial or full ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank 411worldtraveler
MarcomSheratonNT, General Manager at Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Dear 411worldtraveler,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel & Spa!

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel. We note your kind words on our facilities and services, however I am disappointed that on a number of occasions we failed in our service delivery, for this please accept my sincere apologies. I have personally addressed these issues with our Spa manager, F&B Director, and Front Office Manager.

I have also followed up on the time problems you experienced with our complimentary Internet at Link@Sheraton on first floor.

411worldtraveler, thank you again for your comments and once again our apologies for the service failures.

Scott H