“Really good food, service, and atmosphere”

Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 587 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Description: We have been operating since 2008 and hold half day cooking classes for visitors to Nha Trang. It is a great experience of travelling to the local market, buying food and then preparing 3 dishes as chosen by the guests. We also provide a small recipe book at the completion of the tour, as a memento and keepsake. We are also keen to differentiate ourselves from all the other dining places in Nha Trang and give the customer a unique Vietnamese experience. One area is, we are strongly supporting 12 local orphanages. I spent 2 months travelling through Nha Trang & Vietnam & spent a lot of my time with the children at orphanages. As a result, I am trying to give back to these kids, by teaching them life skills and how the real world operates, outside of the usual visits and photo opportunity.That's where the idea for Lanterns came. We invite kids and their careers to each at least one day per month, but any time they wish to come.
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Lantern's is one of the best restaurants in town. The service is really friendly and they have fantastic food. The Pho is excellent. Our favorites are the hotpot with beef, the ginger chicken, the lemongrass chicken, and the vegetable spring rolls. The only thing we didn't really like was Chicken in a Coconut. It wasn't bad, just a little too bland for our taste. If you're someone who finds ginger or spicy pepper overpowering then the Chicken in a Coconut may suit you. We love the mango smoothies with yogurt as well. For the price, the portions are excellent as well. Lantern's also offers cooking classes which we will do in the future. Overall, a great experience every time we go.

1  Thank BenH45
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Hello and thank you so much for the generous words in your review. Glad you enjoyed the dishes but i will mention to the kitchen about the Chicken in Coconut to make sure it is up to the standard we expect for all dishes that leave our kitchen. Always happy to hear from customers and do hope you get the chance to get to one of our cooking classes. All the best and enjoy Nha Trang

Write a ReviewReviews (4,056)

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Had an amazing experience there twice!

First time around we ordered a mini BBQ to the table. The chef marinates the chicken for you and you can cook it or if you don't trust yourself the staff can cook for you at your table. We just found this fun! you can order pork and I think beef.

Next time around had Lemongrass chicken which was nice and spicy. Never do this normally but ordered it twice at the same dinner. Not that the portion wasn't good i just got greedy!

Veg spring rolls came out fresh and piping hot. They went down a treat!

I also had a tropical twist smoothie which was nice.

2  Thank jasdhiman
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Hello, just wanted to send a big thank you for your kind words in your recent tripadvisor review. I must admit the Sizzling BBQ is a favourite of mine and the novelty is still fun for me no matter how many times i tried it.

I am really pleased that you went back for dinner again, in a very competitive market and travellers coming and going, it pleases me to know people value our food enough to come back and eat again.

I am really glad to receive your feedback and will be sure to pass your comments to all the staff. We will keep working hard to maintain our quality. Thanks from everyone at Lanterns

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Being the top pick in Lonely Planet we were always going to try Lanterns and are glad we did. Very pleasant surrounds and the food was excellent. What was important to us was the quality of the ingredients such as the pork, chicken and beef. This is often an issue in Vietnam and we were very happy with the meat used. Its worth spending a few thousand extra dong to dine here compared to some of the other more modest establishments. Still very good value at under AUD$20 (for 2) for entree, mains and a couple of drinks. We made a point of returning to Lanterns on our last night in Nha Trang to ensure we left on a high note.

2  Thank WombatTraveller
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Hi there, i just wanted to pass on my heartfelt thanks for the kind words in your Tripadvisor review. We place great importance on the freshness of our ingredients and being a westerner myself, i understand how important the quality of food is when travelling anywhere, especially South East Asia. Luckily, we have a good group of people working at Lanterns who also understand this concept and work to achieve the same quality to everyone who eats at Lanterns. I know we need to keep working hard and we dont always get it right, but i am happy to see they get it right more often than not :)

We make sure we source the best quality meat and produce that we can to ensure our food is prepeared and served fresh. I am really glad you could identify our subtle differences and more importantly, i was really glad you returned again.

As with all reviews, i will pass your comments to all our staff and the kitchen and we will make sure we keep improving and building on our reputation. Thanks again for your review, appreciate you taking the time to write. The team at Lanterns

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We enjoyed our BBQ pork grilled at the table, the spring rolls and water spinach. We ordered the fried noodles with chicken...they reminded me of instant ramen noodles. They may very well not be instant noodles but that's what they reminded me of. I love any and all noodles so I liked it but my husband wasn't as impressed and didn't eat much. The pork was very flavorful, the water spinach cooked just right.

The staff was friendly, attentive and started grilling for us to show us how it was done. They even had pasta for the picky little eaters in our family.

1  Thank OregonianExpats
Soccarooby, Owner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write your review about Lanterns. I am pleased to hear you had a good night at Lanterns and that you enjoyed the noodles and Pork. I will make sure the staff are aware of the great job they are doing, as i always praise them as they are very hard working and friendly. I do know our western menu is very limited so i am glad there was enough of a choice for the kids. I am glad to hear the positive feedback and hope you get a chance to return one day soon. All the best from all of us at Lanterns

Reviewed March 13, 2011

We went to a few restaurants before visiting this one and were not really impressed until we ate at Lanterns.

We ordered the BBQ Pork and it was lovely. There was no fat on the meat and the lady was kind enough to cook it at our table as it is supposed to be done by us. The Pho, curry and noodle dishes are also great.

You will not be disapointed.

2  Thank neckiii

Hello, I want to say thank you for your kind words in Tripadvisor. I am happy you enjoyed the meal and glad you found the quality of the food to a good standard as we work very hard to get the freshest food available. I will pass on your comments to all the staff at Lanterns and hope you get an opportunity to come back and visit again soon. Safe Travel, the team at Lanterns