“Bed BUGS!”

Backpackers House Nha Trang
Backpackers House Nha Trang
Ranked #106 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Nha Trang
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I just stayed at this hostel with a couple girlfriends, and while they only had a couple rooms left in the dorm we decided we would take the room directly beside the girls dorm. We did not check on Trip Advisor before we checked in because we had heard how popular this place was, but after the first night we saw blood on our sheets and were terrified because we knew it was one of the tell tale signs of Bed Bugs! We ended up checked Trip Advisor and were horrified to see the review previous to this! We checked out immediately but they insisted we pay half! I could not believe it, we just paid to get our passports back and get out of there! But don't stay there!!! I feel like they are doing nothing to help this issue!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alexandra G

Reviewed December 14, 2012

My girl friend and I checked in for 6 nights and only stayed for 3. We have never had bed bugs before and so we didn't know what to look for. After the second night we noticed some blood on our bed sheets. We assumed that we had scratched some mosquito bites in our sleep. After the third night we noticed even more blood and then we became suspicious. We looked up signs for bed bugs online and found out what to look for. We did a quick search of our mattress and sure enough there they were. We immediately packed our bags and left. We refused to pay for our room and insisted that our passports be returned to us at once. The hotel manager then called the police and immigration and told us that 10 police were coming to take us to the police station and that they would get the money from us... The manager also shouted obscenities at us both and told us that "This is my country and you can't do anything about it". Not wanting to deal with the corrupt police we left and called the embassy. We are still waiting for a resolution on our passports but we are assuming that we will ultimately have to pay the hotel bill and put this horrible event behind us.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank 1234567ph
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

They let me check in at 10 pm when I arrived with the train from Danang. They gave me a great service - a man helped me up on the third floor with my bag!
I only stayed there one day cause I had to take another night to HCMC 10 pm next day. They let me check out at 12 am, leave my bag in the receptionist and take care of my valuables while I was at the beach...
Breakfast is included!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Booked a double room, they honoured the booking via hostelworld. Good location with a good bar and restaurant. Our double room was clean but small with no outside windows and shared bathroom for 3 rooms which was always clean. However we were right above the kitchen so from about 6am all you can hear is the staff yelling at each other and plates etc being banged around. Not great. They keep your passport and the guy asked why we wanted it back when we asked. We had already paid so they had no reason to keep it. Overall, it's average, good bar to hang out in but for value I would go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get a double room right above the restaurant kitchen!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I made a booking for a private suite, on arrival they informed me that only mixed dorms were available even though I'd already made the booking, the staff weren't even polite about it. Than there's no where to place ur stuff and the cleaners are dirty thiefs, at least 3 people had money stolen. In which the staff didn't even give a damn...
Stay somewhere else, it may be cheap, but not worth the risk of missing ur money/passport

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Boo M
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Nice hostel. I had good wifi reception in the female only dorm. Only one shower and toilet for 10 girls isn't fantastic but the dorm wasn't full.

Great busy bar on site. Breakfast is the normal options. The beds are a good size and not too crowed.

Be careful to make sure you close the door. The magnet lock doesn't always click first time.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed the first night at the Backpackers House in the female dorm. My friend discovered the next morning that she was covered (from head to toe) with extreme itchy bumps (it looked a bit like she was burned) and on her sheets where like 1000 little black dots: bedbugs. When we told the staff, they were sorry for her en they gave us a bed in the mixed dorm, but it was hard to get a discount. In the mixed dorm we had to share a very small bathroom with 12 other people, so you can imagine it was pretty dirty and wet over there. The next day we were very glad we could leave this place. My friend is oke now, after 5 days the bumps and the itch disappeared..

So please don't go here, it's not worth your money!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends