“Great relaxing spot”

Diamond Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 215 Hotels in Nha Trang
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a fantastic place to stay and relax. Pool is superb. Stayed in a hotel room not a Bungalow.The room was very generously sized clean, bed was comfy and the room had all necessary items. The bathroom in our room was a bit dated and needs some updating. BUT it was clean and a good size. (I am not a fan of shower over bath). I would stay here again and recommend it to friends and other travelers. We were in Block 1 on the ground floor. I have read comments about the rooms being noisy. There is a little road noise but didn't lose any sleep over it :) Next time I would ask for one with balcony facing garden not the back where the road is.
It is a big resort but you would not know it. The grounds are stunning and immaculately kept. It was almost full but defiantly has the space and at no time felt crowded. The shows are in the evenings FOC and were great.
Alot of Russians as others have said but they are no problem. Friendly enough, just most cannot communicate. The staff are great and mostly speak good English to accommodate your needs.
Only down fall was they need to refine their check in & out. Very slow and unorganized.

Room Tip: If in the hotel get one facing into the garden not facing back to the road area.Blocks 2 and 3 prob...

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We went on a family reunion and stayed at the resort for four days. The rooms were pretty average, needed fixing up. The bungalows were much nicer and more updated. Service staff didn't speak much English so communication was difficult but they were very pleasant. Breakfast was fine, your typical fare, nothing special. We spent time at the spa but it was not anything special. We used the tour around the islands and snorkel which was convenient. Lunch served on the snorkeling tour was delicious and at at a secluded beach off one of the islands. It was so beautiful there that we decided not to got to the fourth island and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the beach. Although it was pleasant enough, I would not return. The services and facilities didn't merit the price.

Room Tip: If you book, book the bungalows, much nicer accommodiations.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank CO-Frequent-Traveler
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel is in a great location overlooking the bay.
We arrived early about 9am - I had requested an early check in, but this was not available so had to wait until 2pm. I even asked about an upgrade, but that wasn't available either.
The room itself when we finally managed to get in was fine. Clean, spacious but getting a bit dated - bathroom cupboard doors hanging off!
Bar service was shocking. You had to wait so long for poolside bar service even though we were sitting next to it.
Our first evening we thought we would go to "Happy Hour" at the bar overlooking the bay - it was advertised in the room directory as 30% off all drinks. Well the staff didn't know anything about that and we could only get 1 drink each as we became invisible after that. We waited so long we gave up and thought we would leave without signing - they obviously couldn't see us. They did run after us -so we signed. I did go to the reception the next morning and complain about the "Happy Hour" that wasn't. The bill for the 2 drinks was discounted by the 30% as advertised - how many people haven't complained????
We asked about the buffet for dinner the first evening - it was $23US each - which is quite a lot when I have a lap-band and can't eat much. So we went to the Asian restaurant calling in at the beach bar on the way. Again we were invisible - no drinks there. Service at the Asian restaurant was good and the food was nice.
The next night we thought blow it we would give the buffet a try only to find out the price had increased to $31US due to a cover charge for the band that was playing there that night!!
Gave that a miss and went back to the Asian restaurant - that was much busier than the previous evening.
Just found this hotel over rated and not quite what I had expected.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We found this resort after spending a night in Nha Trang city which is currently one big construction site. We opted for this as (we hoped) it would be a pleasant, quiet, luxurious resort to finish our SE Asian travel.

We booked online (through their website) a Garden Bungalow for U$160 p/n for two nights.
We arrived at about 12pm to a crowded temporary lobby (normal is being renovated).
After a ten minute wait just to speak with anyone they asked us to sit and wait. After a 30 minute wait a staff member finally came over & told us they were overbooked and were going to upgrade us. We thought great! However the room wouldn't be ready for another hour so we opted to go exploring.

We went and had lunch at one of the many restaurants. Food was average and very expensive. We returned to the lobby after 1.5 hours and after more waiting asked if the room was ready. Please sit we were told.

They had taken our passport - we assumed for copying - and we requested them returned. They had just left them sitting on the air conditioner with a pile of other paperwork. This request generated a flurry of back and forward between staff members and we were finally asked to leave them there.

We insisted. In two months of traveling throughout Asia we had not come across this demand, it was a surprise at a 5* resort! I offered instead for them to take an impression of our credit card (they already had our details from booking through their website!) but this was apparently not possible. Instead they asked us for a cash deposit. We said no and after more back and forth they gave us our passports back and we hoped that would be the end of it.

Sometime later we were on the golf cart and heading towards our room. As we got on the cart a staff member frantically hurried after us, wait I didn't get any details from your passport!

We got to the room perhaps 3 hours after we initially arrived and were pleasantly surprised by it. It was huge! Unfortunately it was a smoking room (unsure if they all are, no one mentioned it) and it stunk but we did our best to forget about it. As a final snipe the staff member instructed us NOT to charge anything to the room as we hadn't paid a deposit. Wow. Here we were paying U$160p/n & being treated like we couldn't afford the shirts on our back.

We regrouped and thought a quick dip at the gorgeous pool would help and off we went. The towel situation is odd; they make you sign a register which is administered by two surly staff who put you through the ringer. No matter the pool looks great.
After sitting down for no less than 10 minutes it became evident the staff were setting up for something. The loungers were rapidly disappearing with tables, temporary bars and even a stage replacing them.
Wondering why this wasn't mentioned to us at check in, I asked one of the pool bar staff and all he could muster was "Gala Dinner". Not long after this explanation did the rehearsals begin. Loud, obnoxious music, worsened by the instructors shrill voice directing traffic.

I decided an enquiry to the front desk was in order. The response was dismissive and I was told we received a letter. Notwithstanding we didn't I was appalled by the "Customer Satisfaction" member who decided closing two bars / restaurants and the pool at 4pm was not an inconvenience. She proffered a 10% discount on drinks at the one remaining bar. We later learnt one of the closed bars usually has happy hour offering 30% off drinks from 4pm (more on that later). So the compensation was to pay 20% more! NB the "Gala Dinner" was not open to guests it was in fact the end to a business conference.

We went back to the room where I poured myself a stiff drink. We decided it would be best if we shuttled into the city centre for the evening to avoid the impending Gala Dinner. We found the hotels compendium and learned they offered a free shuttle service (we had read about this before booking) into town regularly. Excellent. So after four or five more scotch's (fortunately the British Open was on) I was feeling relaxed and had forgotten about the preceding peccadilloes.

We decided a pre-dinner snack was in order and called room service. This arrived in good time and I signed the receipt without thought. About twenty minutes later another knock and the poor staffer sheepishly explained his "Captain" said we must pay cash! This was for the equivalent of U$5. I was hooting. We paid and off he went.

The shuttle was set down for 7pm and at 6.50pm we departed for reception.

The staffer charged with the shuttle service informed us the timetable had changed and pulled out a copy of the timetable (as we'd looked at in our room) but with the times twinked over! He bluntly told us to come back in one hour. Thinking I should have finished the bottle I wondered if Customer Satisfaction would have an explanation for this. She did! They were in the process of changing the information and gave us the updated timetable. I explained we'd relied on this information, had dinner plans and asked if there was anything they could do. You can taxi and you pay was her ever helpful rejoinder. Brilliant.

We got into town had dinner and missed the return bus as this had also changed (10pm instead of 10.30pm) so we were forced to taxi back (U$20) which we did a few hours later. On our return the Concert / Gala Dinner had finished and the poolside was a mess. Rubbish and cans everywhere.
Oh well tomorrow is another day!

We awoke late the next day; our room was nice and quiet. We decided the safest course of action was to limit our interaction with the staff and to just take it easy. The poolside was busy but we were able to get loungers. After meeting the requisite towel background checks we settled in. It really is a beautiful setting, they've done well.

We ordered lunch sometime later; I conveniently went for a swim leaving my partner to handle the interaction. The drinks arrived which were quickly spilt all over my jandles to much apologising from the staffer. Two new drinks later arrived and safely made their way onto the table. Unfortunately they were not cold. Lunch soon followed which was average. This grub isn't cheap and you'd really hope for better but by this stage it wasn't a surprise.

After an unremarkable afternoon (thank god!) we returned to our room which we now called "The Safezone". I suggested happy hour down at the Seawood Restaurant which was advertised in the elevator and the compendium to run from 4pm - 7pm. At approx 6.15pm we ventured down. This bar is at one end of the pool and was closed the night before (GALA!). It juts out into the man made bay; setting superb!

We sat and were given the Russian menu. After much gesticulating the English version was given. I enquired as to happy hour. They hadn't heard of it. I explained further which caused great confusion amongst three staff one of which eventually returned with a note pad with the number 6 written on it. Apparently happy hour went until 6pm! We took deep breathes and ordered two anyway. U$11 a pop and they were rubbish. My partners was essentially undrinkable but it wasn't possible to explain this or return the drink. We paid the bill (not charging to the room!) and left.

We were still after dinner and consequent of the changing shuttle service weren't really up for going into the city. We tried the Rosy Restaurant which had a good looking buffet going on. They wanted U65$ for the two of us, drinks on top, and we weren't that hungry so on we went. We sat at the Vietnamese Restaurant and waited. I ordered the signature fish dish and was guardedly optimistic; it sounded great. How silly of me! I was told a few minutes later by the staffer who took our orders that this dish was "finished". OK. I ordered another dish which wasn't bad.

The next day we were due to check out. We headed down to the shambolic lobby and were told to wait while they got our bill ready. We paid it (to their great surprise!) and reconfirmed our airport transfer later that afternoon.

As we waited a western family arrived and begun checking in. They had major difficulties with their reservation, the hotel trying to charge them for an extra room. This all sounded sadly familiar.

On reflection the location and facilities are terrific. However the staff/service at that pricing make this place intolerable. Our stay was meant to be a relaxing end to months of travel however we were left frazzled and harangued. I could not possibly recommend this place.

17  Thank Traveller123419
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Exactly what we were looking for - spacious, tropical with many offered services and facilities. Room was gorgeous. Staff - kind and effective. Free shuttle to town offered a convenient solution to the distance from down town. Would gladly stay again in this resort.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

After getting screwed over by another hotel and nha trang being fully sold out. I found this on expedia for $140($280 when we called to make sure it was available). So I went there and double checked they had a room available before I told them I had a reservation booked 20mins previously online. They then seemed liked they didnt want to give me room and took for ever.

Next morning I asked about train and they said we need to have your reservation again to make sure if its ok we stay (???? We just slept the night, of course its ok).

Other then that room was ok with old crt tv. Good food posioning of room service carbonara. Pretty much full of russians (which is fine). ok private beach. Rooms are miles from lobby, not sure if you call golf buggy to get you or walk 15 mins.

3  Thank perthguy83
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We're 4 friends traveling Vietnam together, and we wanted a day with lots of bathing, seaview etc. We booked 2 bungalows with a seaview, and everything looked good until we came to the bungalows. There is precious little seaview, and it really should be specified that you can't bathe in the ocean close by. The ocean is full of litter, and so shallow you need to be a midget to take a bath. We've so far only eaten lunch here, but so far it looks cheaper to take a taxi to Nha trang, eat dinner there, and taxi back. The food was mediocre at best. The bungalows have a big bath, and a big bath, but it's pointless since there is not enough waterpreassure to fill it in a reasonable amount of time.

3  Thank C F