“Good Value and Good Food”

Same Same But Different Cafe
Ranked #44 of 555 Restaurants in Nha Trang
Cuisines: Thai, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small family run business operating in Nha Trang for approximately 15 years. Our aim is to provide delicious Vietnamese, Thai and Western food to travellers in a clean, friendly environment. Recently we have been awarded a TripAdvisor certificate of excellence, of which we are very proud! Please join us for a good value breakfast, lunch or dinner. Hope to see you soon.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ate here last night, the place was very busy. We had a stewed pork clay pot and a chicken Vietnamese style with rice - both good size portions and very tasty.

Tried the local rum and coke - very nice and made a change from beer.

Really good, pleasant service - would recommend.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the first 'Non-Smoking; restaurant encountered in Nha Trang.
The menu is Same Same, the cooked food is Same Same, the price is Same Same.
There is nothing different or outstanding from all the other restaurants in the neighborhood.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Same, Same but Different Review - 03-10-13

After reading many reviews on Tripadvisor, we couldn’t resist finally coming here to eat. I had been thinking about Pad Thai for the last couple days. We must have gone to the wrong SSBD restaurant. Based on our dining experience, their rating is way too high.

I arrived at the restaurant shortly after 5 pm and my wife joined me about 30 minutes later. We finished dining and left the restaurant well after 6 pm, when only two other tables were being occupied. The place most mostly empty.

I heard our waitress speaking fairly good English to people at the table behind us. They seemed to recall seeing her work at another restaurant, and she had. The waitress explained that she had bounced around restaurants but was now happy here at SSBD. You really couldn’t tell by “matter-of-fact” attitude and her service. She really looked painfully bored and could have cared less if you ate there or not.

Waiting for my wife to arrive, I paged through the menu and decided on the following:

Large Tiger beer - 25,000d
Bruschetta Toscana - 35,000d
Fish, Grilled in banana leaf - 85,000d
Pad Thai - 85,000d

Unfortunately, the Tiger beer turned out to be the best value item we had off the menu. The first item to arrive after the Tiger beer was the bruschetta, which consisted of three toasted pieces of bread with each piece carefully topped with barely enough of the tomato topping, not much to look at and lacking flavor. Give me a break! Tomatoes are 10,000d/kilo at the local market. TIP: Eat bruschetta at this restaurant first and then go directly around the block and have bruschetta at Olivia. The difference is like night and day.

The next dish to arrive was the Pad Thai. Considering that Pad Thai is chiefly made with noodles (chow fun noodles preferably) this dish was also a disappointment. There were barely any noodles in the dish, and rice noodles are one of the cheapest food items to buy in Vietnam! The dish was heavy on sprouts. I had ordered the shrimp pad thai and found about four or five small shrimp in the dish, another let down.

The Grilled Fish in Banana Leaf arrived last, the leaf turned back to display what little fish had been cooked. Prior to ordering this dish, I asked the waitress if it was the whole fish or a fillet wrapped in the leaf. She indicated it was the fillet, which was fine. I also asked about the portion size, which she indicated was “medium”. Obviously, we disagreed on the definition of size. The one served to us was apparently one side of a small fish, the portion served being perhaps 100 grams (maybe four ounces). Moreover, it had been chopped up into small, tiny pieces. We knew before ordering the fish was going to be basa, which is an okay white fish and extremely cheap to buy on the local market.

Indeed, my wife and I took a bus ride out to the west side of Nha Trang a couple weeks ago and bought a kilo of basa for less than $4 at the Metro Mart. I would have been surprised if our portion was more than 100 grams. TIP: If you like smoked basa, eat breakfast buffet at the Novotel or Sheraton. Also, I almost forgot to say the fish came with a small dish of steamed rice, which off the menu is an inflated 15,000d.

If you’re still tempted to eat at SSBD, I’ve listed some prices of other dishes off the menu below. Expect small portions, so be prepared to order double portions or multiple dishes if you have an appetite.

Chicken with cashew nuts - 85,000
Vietnamese sour fish soup - 40,000
Club sandwich with chicken, bacon, cheese, egg and chips - 75,000
Fruit shakes from 25,000-35,000
Canned soda (like coke or diet coke) - 20,000

My sentiments were the same as ChrisW79HoChiMinh’s in her review of February 1st, “May be same, same its just ok”. Also, after further thought, I also wonder what their specialty item is; Italian, Seafood, Thai, what? Most of it bordered on the bland side of taste. Sorry; omitting the rating for "Romance", 2.5 stars max.

Richard

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Restaurant small but very simpatico.
breakfast, lunch, dinner ... is always the best anytime.
recommend toffu grilled with lemon grass or squid with ginger
and finish the freshly brewed coffee ...

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Hands down our best meal of our trip so far. Large vegetarian selection. We started with fresh vege spring rolls. Absolutely perfect! Next we had a tofu & vege curry + mushroom stir fry which was also great. Drinks are also really cheap. I am surprised this place isn't more popular. I think the name possibly puts people off. We will return for sure!