“Getting yelled at and bugs crawling in the bed”
Review of Phong Nha Hotel

Phong Nha Hotel
Ranked #57 of 122 Hotels in Hue
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We arrived with bus near the hotel. A lot of locals wanted to sell and advertise for their hotel. We said we already have booked and did'nt need their help. A local man got angry and yelled ---- off, we don't need dirty persons here, ---- off ----off". We were quite shocked, since it came unprovoked. He then went in to a shuttle bus driving away yelling and cursing after us, out of the window (i have never tried or heard about anything like that). On the back of his bus were the name of our hotel. Great!
We walked there and wished to complain, but their english were to bad to understand so we just got our rooms. Rooms were pretty in first impression but cigarette burns in bathroom and bugs in the bed was wery nasty. My girlfriend got bitten a couple of times.
Food was average.

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night in mid November 2011 and paid $10pn for a large double room with ac and en-suite. The price also included breakfast. We haggled in advance by email to get this rate.

Positives
The staff were great and helped with everything we needed.

The proximity of the hotel to Cafe on Thu Wheels was also a bonus as the food is cheap and good and the atmosphere in there is great. The room was big with a double and single bed, we only asked for a double but it was nice to have the extra space. There are two decent computers downstairs and free wifi throughout the hotel which strong enough to work in the rooms.

In terms of location, the main backpacker district in in walking distance, as is the ancient city although those with tired feet.may prefer the cyclo option.

Negatives
Felt a bit like a hotel on the way down. There was a bit of a musty smell in the lobby downstairs and the decor was tired.

There is also a huge building site directly next door to the hotel which sprung into action at 6am, which was a nice surprised! The noise from this woke us up but we had friends in the hotel who slept right through so maybe we're light sleepers.

Overall
It's difficult to argue with the size of room for what we paid and free breakfast was a bonus. Make sure you email ahead for a good rate as people who arrived without reservations were charged $15 without breakfast which is too much. Luckily for those without reservations the hotel is on an alley of budget hotels so you can aim for the area and haggle hard!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed ih Phong Nha for 3 nights.
After a little bargaining I got a nice, new looking corner room with big windows, a double bed, aircon, hot water and tv for $ 8,- Which is a good price for Vietnam.

However, I soon noticed the room smelled a little stale. The culprit seemed to be a moldy foamrubber matras. Also the waterpressure was almost too low to get a decent shower. When I told the reception about this they did apologize and let me change to a similar room, with no mold and a better shower.

Another, temporary, annoyance was the building project next door. With construction starting at about 7 a.m. it's hard to sleep after that time. Ofcourse Phong Nha is not to blame for this, but it's good to know if you are a light sleeper and planning on staying here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed here for three nights and thought it was great value for money. I had booked the first night and because a room at the rate was not available they upgraded me. Staff were helpful and didn't hassle or try to get me to buy anything. Fab cafe across the road and overall in a good location. There is building works behind but they didn't disturb me and my room was at the back. Not bad for just $10 a night!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank jakeyboygetslost
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed for two nights here and loved it. The location is a little away from most of the nightlife but is just 2 minutes walk from the Sinh Tourist office where a lot of open buses stop. It also has the fantastic and cheap cafe on thu wheels right opposite.

We had an AC room with ensuite for 9 dollars a night with TV and seats. The only criticism is that the AC wasn't the best. It took a while to kick in but once it did it was fine.

This is a good middle of the road place to stay, not right at the heart of things but good enough.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Staff is helpful and speaks English and is comprehensible English! Our room was very spacious, it had a private balcony, air conditioning and en-suite bathroom. It was clean and comfortable. They can also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can book tours and tickets at the reception desk. Free internet. The location is in the backpacker area and close to many restaurants and bars. There are 4 floors and no lift, so get ready for the stairs!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I chose this hotel based on its guidebook recommendation and was not disappointed, staying here 5 nights with no problems with the staff or service. I thought the room was impressive for the price, with large windows, a big comfortable bed and a bathroom with a combined bath/shower for $8 per night. The water temperature is very good and it doesn't take long to run a bath!

Other than one caveat which I'll get to shortly, the location was excellent. It is central yet largely free of traffic noise due to its being situated on a narrow alley. It is within walking distance of a lot of cafes, restaurants and tour agents, and closer to the bridge to the citadel than the guesthouses in the more touristy Pham Ngu Lao area.

I made much use of the free wi-fi when I stayed here, and most of the time it was reliable and connection speed was good. Occasionally it went down temporarily; the staff were helpful in trying to get it working again. Apart from one grumpy one, I found the staff to be friendly and I did not have any of the bill-related problems reported by previous reviewers, nor did I find them to be pushy about tours. I did use the minibar and laundry service provided by the hotel though not the restaurant. I did make sure to keep abreast of how the bill was counting up during my stay, which may have precluded any difficulties come check out time. Also I gave a photocopy of my passport rather than the passport itself on checking in, which was accepted without any fuss.

The one problem I had with the hotel was something that I suppose is not under their control - adjacent to the hotel at present is a building site, which my room overlooked. Though there was not noise at night, on some days they started work quite early in the morning. I would suggest asking for a room on the other side of the hotel to this construction site if available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo