“Stunning art deco hotel, peaceful location”

La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #10 of 120 Hotels in Hue
Brisbane
“Stunning art deco hotel, peaceful location”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed in a pool/ river view room in may. I was booked into a garden room but perhaps as it is lower season, I was upgraded. It is a beautiful room with a perfect view over the river to the citadel flag tower. This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have seen. The level of attention paid to furnishings and design is incredible - if you are a fan of art deco, make this an indulgence in your trip as it is so well done. While the location is a bit out of 'town', the hotel has free bicycles for guests. I've borrowed bikes a few times to go to the citadel or find some lunch in the main areas. it would only be a 5-10 minute ride. As long as you avoid busier hours as people to to work, there is not much traffic - I felt very safe on the road and it is a beautiful way to get around, cycling along shady tree lined boulevards. the benefit to the location is the peacefulness - all you hear is the puttering of the river boats, cicadas and the many birds in the area.
The pool is lovely and very welcome after a hot day exploring the citadel and pagodas. The restaurant is very good - while prices are higher than local restaurants the food is good (and it isn't expensive when you think about what you would pay at home). The food at the pool bar is also great - as is an iced Vietnamese coffee!
All the staff are helpful and friendly.
If you are looking for some luxury in your time in Vietnam, definitely give this place a go.

• Stayed May 2012
ManagerHue, General Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear paddo_jo

First of all on behalf of the entire team we would like to thank you for the time you have taken to post your valuable comments on Trip Advisor; as a team we are carefully monitoring this channel and using all the feedback received here to make direct improvements on our product and service. All the team will be very motivated to read your comments specific to the level of attentiveness and friendliness you have experienced during your stay.

As you have written during periods of lower occupancy we will always try to offer the best location of room (subject to availability) and I am happy to read you have seen the benefit of this policy. Also I can see that you have enjoyed all of the other aspects of the hotel product and service including the various food & beverages you have consumed. As you have mentioned we are priced higher than the local restaurants as we are using professionally qualified chefs, international hygiene regulations and the best in imported produce at all times.

Finally thank you for choosing La Residence for your recent visit to Hue and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything further in the future.

gmo@la-residence-hue.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Buenos Aires
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed here for a night just two weeks ago. I must say this is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The attention to detail in everything, the cleanliness, the staff friendliness AND attentiveness were outstanding. The room was very comfortable. The restaurant, excellent. I did not use the Spa. The decor and setup inside the hotel are really in line with what you'd expect in the Governor's residence.
Hue is not a destination one would go again and again to, (I live in Argentina), but I would definitely use this hotel as an excuse to come back to Hue. Congratulations!

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor, a corner room, at the end of the passage. Very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear roxo

First of all on behalf of the entire team we would like to thank you for the time you have taken to post your valuable comments on Trip Advisior; as a team we are carefully monitoring this channel and using all the feedback received here to make improvements on our product and service.

It is very rewarding to read your very positive summary of your hotel experience including; “not to be missed”, “one of the best hotels ever”, high attention to detail, cleanliness, comfortable room, excellent restaurant and most of all the staff attitude comments. We do aim to ensure that all our guests are welcomed to our hotel in the manner you have been and the team will be motivated to see what you have written.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in late April 2012, and it was excellent.

We had had a rather sticky and noisy overnight train from Hanoi and La Residence was such an oasis of comfort and luxury to come to!

The hotel's art deco design has been beautifully and meticulously restored. It used to be the French Governor's residence in Hue and it has retained the ambience of this period. The pool area is super and the food we had for lunch was very nice.

By Vietnam standards it is all very expensive but it was truly worth splashing out on!

Our room was large, spotlessly clean, with a nice big bath tub (hurray!) in the bathroom, which was also a generous size. The furniture in the rooms was modern repro but very high quality and carried on the art deco theme. Really, the whole place is a bit of a work of art!

All the usual in-room facilities: mini bar, safety deposit box, air con, satellite TV - and excellent thick curtains!

The breakfast buffet was absolutely top notch!! Definitely the best we had during our 4 weeks in Vietnam. Try the local "Hue Pho" with lemongrass. Allow yourself time to enjoy breakfast properly if you can!

There were free bikes to borrow for a cycle ride if you wanted, and we used them to go and visit the Citadel - much more comfortable than walking in the heat, and free is always nice.

I didn't use the hotel spa but I checked the prices and I have to say, while still expensive for Vietnam, they weren't as expensive as I expected. Worth checking out perhaps? I would have definitely gone for a treatment if we'd been there longer.

The hotel organised a trip on the Perfume River for us - we know this was more expensive than we could have got locally but we were short of time and just wanted to get it booked. However, it wasn't too horrendous price wise, at $35 for the day on our own boat, and we had a great time (although if you do this trip, check in advance whether your lunch is included).

Taxis locally were inexpensive, metered and easy to get, whether at the hotel or in town.

Tip: If you are coming by train, from the station go over the bridge in front of you, head up that road for 300m and the hotel is on your left. Unless you are particularly infirm or it is raining cats and dogs you really don't need a taxi from the station.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fierydormouse
Dear Fierydormouse

I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the entire team to thank you for choosing La Residence for your recent visit to Hue and for the time you have subsequently take to post your valuable synopsis on Trip Advisor. We do share all comments received via this medium as this is very rewarding and motivating for the hotel team.

It is great to read your very positive comments you have posted including; incredibly well maintained, beautiful design, super pool area, large clean room, great size bathroom/tub, top notch breakfast buffet and free bike rental. All your comments go a long way to providing honest insight into our hotel experience for all our future guests when they are researching places to stay in Hue.

Finally, please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything further at all in the near future or if you have friends/family coming to Hue.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This hotel is the former residence of the French governor with two wings added. So it is an older building that has been very tastefully refurbished. The rooms are small but very comfortable, especially the beds and pillows.

The breakfast is good with the hotel having the best baked goods that we have had in our travels in Asia so far. The restuarant staff are very friendly and speak good English. Middle management are empowered and make decisions quickly. On our second night my wife ordered something that was not on the menu. It did not taste all that great and she did not eat it. The restuarant manager without any hesitation said we would not be charged. We then went back to our room to find the airconditioner had broken down. In less than 5 minutes the front desk manager had arranged for us to be moved into a suite.

The grounds are lovely on the edge of the Perfume river and there is a very nice pool.

All in all, a lovely stay

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear randtrip

It is a little disappointing to read that you have had a less than great restaurant experience and some issues with Air Con in the room; however positive to see this has been well recovered by the empowered middle management.

Finally thank you so much for the overall positive elements of your feedback and rest assured all of this will be shared across the team. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything further at all in the near future.

gosier
Reviewed May 9, 2012

room booked was a river view deluxe room. When we arrived there was no doorman, so nobody to carry our luggage nor open the door...
Check-in was fast and room upgrade was done (Accor club card)
The bath room was not large, though amenities were nice. Fruit basket was in room. Breakfast was OK. The Parfum restaurant was good for dinner, 100 Euros for 2 people (creme brulee were excellent)
Pool was very nice, apple juice was offered upon arrival.
To visit the city, take a taxi instead of cyclo.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerHue, General Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear amexGosier

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to compose your valuable Trip Advisor review; it is great to read your very positive overview of the hotel experience.

I have noticed that you have commented on the breakfast buffet being “OK” and I would kindly inform you at this point we are upgrading the whole area in the first 2 weeks of June; this will be a significant enhancement to the breakfast area and live stations for egss, waffles and pancakes etc…

Finally thank you for choosing La Residence for your recent visit to Hue and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything further at all.

London
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We have stayed in La Residence for 3 nights. This was one of the highlights of our trip to Vietnam. We absolutely loved the Art Deco style of the hotel with the great attention to detail in furnishings and decor. The staff were incredibly helpful and polite. I have booked a twin room by mistake and when I asked to change it to a double room the reception swapped our room without any problems. The room itself was spacious and comfortable. As the hotel is set away from the road our room was quiet and we enjoyed a good night sleep every night. However, the location is good for both the citadel and only a short taxi drive from the main centre of town. The is a boat stop just next to the hotel which is very handy if you want to enjoy the Perfume River cruise.
The overall service was great, we got home baked biscuits every nigh and complimentary fruit salad and fresh orange juice at the pool side. The breakfast was varied and included a number of home made goodies. We also ate at the restaurant both at lunch time and dinner and on each occasion had fantastic food.
Everything was perfect and we hope to come back soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mugs_001
ManagerHue, General Manager at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear mugs_001

I would like to thank you for choosing La Residence for your recent visit to Hue and for outlining the hotel as the highlight of your trip in Vietnam. There are many positive elements within your feedback and kindly rest assured that this will be shared accordingly with the entire team; it is great to read that your room change request was well handled.

All the additional comments pertaining to the other parts of the hotel and the small touches you have received are well received and provide excellent insight for future guests.

Finally thank you for the time to compose and post your synopsis and we do hope you will return to see us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

The hotel & building itself is wonderful. The old residence of the French Governor, you get a feel of what it would have been like. Our room had a balcony & was a good size. Only fault was that the rooms aren't sound proof & we could hear every time someone got out of the lift or opened or closed a door on our floor. The buffet breakfast was great. We ate a few meals in the Restaurant, and it was ok, not great & it was quite expensive. We had massages at the Spa and they were also a little pricey. On a whole we loved the hotel, but we won't be returning to Hue-not much to do there & more of Vietnam we'd prefer to see!

Stayed May 2012
Dear AndMLee

I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the entire team here at the hotel to thank you for time you have taken to post your valuable comments on Trip Advisor. This is a channel that we focus on a great deal in order to collect very valuable and direct feedback and we appreciate very much the positivity of your comments.

I can see you have mentioned the noise transfer between the rooms and this is something we are working to correct in some affected rooms. With regards to the restaurant & spa experience I can see that there was some shortfall in expectation vs price and I would very kindly ask for some additional details if possible; please write to me on the below email to outline the items you have consumed that I may research similar comments. We do price check with all other 5 star hotels in Vietnam regularly and ensure we use only the very best ingredients and products, often imported, to ensure guest safety.

Finally, please do not hesitate to contact me if you require anything else or if you have friends/family visiting Hue in the near future.