We were Australian travellers doing a 'tasting plate' trip through Vietnam. We had already travelled to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Ha Long Bay and were in Hue to experience a more laid back time in Vietnam's ancient capital.
We picked La Residence, partly because of its historical importance as the old French Governor's residence and because of its quieter location on the Perfume River. It is a wonderful combination of Colonial art-deco architecture and modern extensions, surrounded by superb gardens, a good sized pool and even tennis courts (remember to play early in summer).
We booked into a deluxe colonial room in the older part of the building, with a room facing onto the front of the hotel. The room was extremely elegant and stylish with a large bathroom, with full bath, and a dressing room across the passageway.
The only draw-back was that when the city woke in the morning, the sounds of traffic could be heard in the bedroom. Anyone who is familiar with Vietnam would know that the Vietnamese navigate their road traffic using their car and motorbike horns, the sound of which can penetrate bedroom windows.
This may not have been a major issue, that's just the way Vietnam is, but my wife suddenly became ill with a bacterial infection that became bronchial. So she had a very sleepless night and was not going to be able to catch up on sleep the next day.
So, at about 6:30 in the morning I went to ask Reception if they could do anything to move us to a different room further from the road. They said the hotel was full, but that they would see what they could do when some guests had checked out later. I went back to my room with little expectation that anything would happen quickly. But to our surprise we received a call twenty minutes later and were given the choice of two suites in the new section of the building, to the rear of the hotel away from the roadway.
We were helped by the concierge to move to the suite and we settled into our new more relaxed and quiet surroundings. Then even more to our surprise, we received a phone call from Anthony Gill, La Residence's General Manager, saying that he had heard that my wife was ill and could the hotel do anything to help? We said no, rest was all that was needed, but he insisted on sending up a pot of ginger tea with honey and some paracetomol. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and the tea was delivered.
And often you can be in hotels where the staff don't remember you from one day to the next, but Reception kept asking after my wife's health during the rest of our stay.
The hotel has much to offer its guests. It has a really good spa offering a wide variety of treatments. The treatments are carried out in an area of the hotel that has been specifically designed to compliment the Art Deco aesthetic. Both my wife and I had massages and were very happy with them.
The Le Parfum restaurant is excellent and has, along with other cuisines, a good selection of traditional VIetnamese food.
The restaurant is also where breakfast is served and has an extensive buffet selection and a chef to meet guests' cook-to-request orders.
When we come back to Hue, we will certainly stay at La Residence again. But this time, for more of a treat, we will stay in the semi-circular Deluxe Colonial Suite overlooking the gardens and pool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step back in time to Art Deco's golden age with a stay at La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa. Nestled along the fabled Perfume River and overlooking the imposing Imperial Citadel - once home to Emperors and now preserved as a UNESCO World Heritage Site - La Residence is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. Endowed with opulence and warmth, this former residence of the French "Resident Superieur" has been painstakingly restored and refashioned into an enchanting luxury boutique hotel with 122 guestrooms and suites, which offer visitors the chance to relive the pleasures of a bygone era. Food is a passion at Le Parfum Restaurant. Visitors will delight in a fusion menu of Vietnam and Europe's very best culinary traditions. Allow yourself to be swept away with the signature cocktails "La Residence Monsieur and La Residence Madame" in the cozy ambiance of Le Gouverneur Bar. Indulge yourself in our award-winning Spa and relax by the large saltwater swimming pool overlooking the river. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Residence Hue Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Residence Hue Hotel Hue
- La Residence Hue Hotel And Spa
- La Residence Hotel