“Quan Bun Bo Hue - 17 Ly Thuong Kiet”
Review of Quan bun bo hue

Quan bun bo hue
Ranked #81 of 488 Restaurants in Hue
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed April 13, 2019

There seems to be a couple of resturants doing Bun Bo Hue side by side on Ly Thuong Kiet. Our street food tour guide brought us to the one at number 17. The food was truely excellent. Best Bun Bo Hue I tried. 17 Ly Thuong Kiet, Tel: 0905 303 303

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank chuckymustdie

Reviewed March 11, 2019 via mobile

Good bún bò, the predominant flavour was lemongrass. It was nice to be able to add chilli, lemon, herbs and sauces to slightly change the flavour accents of the broth (which I happily did several times whilst eating). The portion was good for lunch. The pork sausage was good but had a whole kernel of pepper in it. The chunks of beef (shank I believe) were not all of the best quality.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

This review is for #19 with the metal tables.

My fiancé and I just arrived in Hue and were looking forward to trying the local specialty, bun bo Hue. Based on good Trip Advisor reviews and proximity to our home stay, we chose Quan Bun Bo Hue #19. The dish itself was mediocre. We received no traditional blood sausage and the rest of the meat was just okay. The crab ball was the best part, although the clear broth was decently flavored.

Halfway through our meal, one of the ladies smiled and set a plate of coconut jelly in front of us and said, “free for you!” I said, “wow, thank you!” There were two small plastic cups with coconut jelly with coconut on bottom and 3 pieces of jelly in coconut slices. My fiancé and I both grabbed the cups. He didn’t care for the textures, so I finished his cup. I also had a slice, to try it out. It was delicious and the best part of the meal!

However, when we went to pay with a 100,000 note (70,000 VND since each bowl of bun bo Hue was 35,000), the ladies started acting weird. Refused to give us change and claimed the coconut jelly was not free and were 10,000 each. Again, we did not order the coconut jelly, they put it on our table and said, “free for you!” When we repeated that back to them, one lady claimed she had said, “3 for you,” even though their were 5 pieces on the plate, and then they all pretended to understand no English, after their English had been fine moments before.

SCAM ARTISTS with mediocre food. Will not return, do not recommend. Do not go here. There is surely plenty of amazing bun bo Hue options, especially at breakfast time. Don’t waste your time and money here.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank kassHoD
Reviewed January 29, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I went to this local restaurant for lunch on December 24, 2018. It was a raining quite heavily that day in Hue, The taxi driver dropped us off and we were immediately picked up by the waiters who used umbrellas to keep us from rain. We ordered large bowl of the rice vermicelli (bun). There were several ingredients on top, pig’s blood, crabmeat cakes and a large piece of pork...... etc. The piece of pork was so big that it seemed like the chef was too lazy to slice or cut it smaller, very rough. The soup was not really tasty and not too hot, but only the crabmeat cake was good. I had very little of everything. Don’t get it wrong that I was full at that time, I did not even had breakfast that morning, so with an empty stomach, I could have eaten a lot. It was just not tasty. I also tried there coconut jelly, not too good as well.

Then, after my husband finished his half bowl (we both could not finish our bowls), we paid and then left the restaurant. Just when we were about to see where we should go, we saw another one next to it serving the same food. I was going to give it a pass, but my husband said we might as well give it a try, so we did. I did not regret! This time, it was very good! The soup was tasty and boiling hot, all the ingredients on top were delicious! However, I need to tell you that the service here was no good. It was not busy at that time, but no one wanted to serve or take orders. But they did care about what they were cooking for guests, they all concentrated in cooking and nothing else.

For clarification, the good Bun Bo Hue is on19 Lý Thường Kiệt, Phú Nhuận, not 17 next door. It is the one that is smaller, darker and with a small open kitchen on your right hand side of the entrance when you walk in.

So this review I am writing is for 19 Ly Thuong Kiet. Make sure you go to this one.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank pearlywk
Reviewed January 2, 2019 via mobile

Our family of four had the normal bun bo hue which was a very nice bowl of noodle soup with beef and a crab cake. Lots of fresh ingredients to add to the soup as well, for dessert we had rice cakes a coconut jelly, would definitely go back. All for about $12.

Date of visit: January 2019