“Nice view - food okay”

Dining options: Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice view - food okay”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The top of this disneyland-looking construction is a great place to sit and watch Hue go by, if you can get a riverside table. The food isn't terrible, certainly the salad and spring rolls we bought to snack on were reasonably tasty. And the staff were friendly and nice to us.

• Visited August 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
“Pathetic”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Period.
We wanted a table at the river side. Even though they had one free, they did not offer it to us because it was previously reserved by other clients,which I obviously understand. Meanwhile, we waited on the bar having some drinks until some other table was free. The drinks were horrible. Do never order a Mojito here. Worst taste ever. After 30 min some tables at the river side got free, but we had to run after the waiter because he was going to give them to clients that recently showed up. Once we got our table,the worst experience began. We ordered our food. The waiter seemed to barely understand what we wanted even pointing the order with our fingers on the menu card. Since that moment, nothing went right. I had to remind the waiter to bring tablecloth,cutlery and drinks. Drinks came first but warm. After a long wait came the first dish, which had nothing to do with what I ordered. Neither tablecloth nor cutlery yet. We ordered a capresse salad as starter which never came as starter but as second dish. Tomatoes were fried and it had some kind of strange cheese on it. It wasn't bad but obviously it was not a capresse salad. My wife ordered a rare T-bone steak. Chicken came. We told the waiter who hardly tried to convince us it was a T-bone. Now I was getting mad!!!! They finally brought the T-bone and I don't know why I was not surprised when I saw it was all burned,not rare. My wife hates to eat burned steak. The outcome of this experience was completely a disaster. I will extremely recomend to everyone not to get even close to this restaurant or whatever you want to call this place.

• Visited August 2013
Hong kong
“Deluxe”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Dine here a few times, food mostly same as other Vietnamese restaurant. However, the whole presentation, food fresh and cooking oil are all nice.
The BBQ is good.
Experience dined on the roof top ,feeling was perfect , viewing the city on both sides of the river , looking at the sunset ,viewed deeply the river course at both ends, then city lights blooming the city else where....then the busiest bridge lighted up in changing colours.
Once came with a friend prefer less meat more vegetable.....then found a bit expensive, 2 people no order any wine but cost more than a million ..

• Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Awful. Stay away.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Heavy rain led us to forgoe our hotel's recommendation tonight and take refuge in the Song Huong Floating Restaurant. In hindsight, I wish we had kept walking in the rain.

Our meal started out pleasantly enough. The setting is beautiful - right on the river (hence the "floating" part), and we had a view looking over towards the nearby bridge during a spectacular thunderstorm. The service was pleasant enough, and drinks arrived promptly. My "vodka tonic" might have passed near vodka at one point in its life albeit not recently, but that was fine. My wife's "amoretto colada" was tasty though.

The problems started with the food. I ordered the Vietnamese four-course combination, and my wife ordered a hamburger.

Right from the start, the food was bad. I had "fresh" spring rolls that were so dry they were tough and had started unrolling before they even got to our table. The taste was bland too. Not a good start to the meal.

I'm not sure how to describe the bun bo that came next. You know how when you're walking around Vietnamese towns and you can smell a weird combination of foods that might be good or might be something rotting - you're just not sure? That's what this tasted like, and it wasn't something I wanted to eat. I had a few mouthfuls and left the rest. We had the same dish in our hotel this morning and several other places over the last few days and each other time it was delicious, so this was very disappointing.

Next up came my wife's burger (we shared courses to this point as she wasn't too hungry) and my Vietnamese steak. Her burger was very disappointing - it took her until about half way through the burger to get to any beef, and she ultimately left much of the remainder. My "steak" meanwhile turned out to be a very thin pattie-sized piece of beef that - despite them asking how I wanted it cooked (medium-rare) was thoroughly cooked all the way through. I'm not sure that medium-rare was even possible with something that thin, but either way they asked how I wanted it and then delivered something that was neither good nor how I ordered it. After 10 minutes of trying to get the waiter's attention we just asked for the bill and left before my final course - we'd had enough at this point. The poor server, who was doing fine on her end, was mortified so we went very easy on her in terms of messages back to the kitchen - something I regret in hindsight as they should know how bad this was.

We paid the full price for everything (including the course that I didn't have) and got out as quickly as we could.

I just finished a second (aka first) dinner in our room at our hotel. I ordered a burger. It was delicious. My wife tells me it was twice as good as the one she had for dinner.

If you come to this place, come for the view and maybe a drink if you're up for the risk. Don't even think about coming for the food. Ugh.

• Visited July 2013
“Great location...& that's it. Menu's hugely exaggerated, moody confrontational staff.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Went for a drink here as the location looked amazing. Sat on the roof and it was beautiful. Had a look at the menu & it sounded incredible. Very fancy descriptions & some very reasonable prices. This persuaded us to order some food & we planned to stay for dessert too.

I ordered tomato soup based on the description: "tomato soup served with avocado and crab mouse, basil oil, Parmesan crisps and crotons"...sounded amazing. What arrived was the smallest bowl of tomato soup with none of the above. I had to go and find a waiter as all 6 on duty were sat behind the bar chatting and when I explained that I seemed to be missing everything apart from the soup the confrontation ensued. He accompanied me back to the table and started shouting at me about everything being inside the soup...it was not. Then he grabbed some leaves from a plant and started ripping them up? Thought they were headed for my soup but he just threw them on my chair in anger...weird. He was then joined by a woman who also shouted that everything was mixed in the soup. After a few minutes she confessed they had forgotten to put crab in my soup?! Even though it was never supposed to be IN the soup! So frustrating. I honestly don't think any of the accompaniments ever existed...to me it feels like they copied an upmarket British menu from somewhere without actually having a clue what it meant!

My friends had a beef pho (not bad although meat pretty bad - good value for portion size), and a vietnamese pancake (also cheap but tiny).

More confrontation when I refused I pay full price for the soup. Shouting and then 6 waiters deliberating and left waiting 15 minutes while they decided to give me 30p off!! Bored of arguing we paid and left...

Such a shame as a great location. Disinterested and very rude staff coupled with a menu which is a bit of a lie means I would not recommend this place!

P.s watch out for the 5% service charge just for sitting on the roof!

• Visited July 2013