“You get what you pay for”
Review of New Life Hue Hotel

New Life Hue Hotel
Ranked #67 of 129 Hue B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Classic cliche but it's very apt in this case. Can't fault it too much as the price was good for Hue and did include breakfast (which was better than a lot of the included breakfasts in Vietnam).
The bed was terrible though. After travelling in Asia for some time we're very much used to uncomfortable beds but this one was really bad. The bed springs were totally exposed and dug right into your body. The AC was pretty good but the room was pretty drab. We accidentally broke a mirror in the bathroom and they charged us $10 for it on check out! Not happy with that especially as it was the cheapest, nastiest mirror you can get.

They are helpful though. Although, I asked 2 staff members where I could go for good local cheap food they both said to go to the same restaurant which I think they must have a deal with. Went once and it wasn't very good. I did ask the staff where I could buy a cable for my laptop and one of the guys took me around the shops on his bike. I didn't buy one as the shops wanted way too much but I tried to give the guy some money for his trouble but he said no.

Decent location as it's slightly away from main streets of crap bars and restaurants although in easy walking distance. Hotel is quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Vietnamese first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel is located in an alley, which can be quite difficult to find in the beginning. However, when we became familiar with the place, it is actually not difficult to access it. What made our stay a wonderful on was the hospitality and warmth of the staffs, particularly Tommy (it spelt her name correctly), whom we could genuinely feel her warmth and sincerity in trying to make our stay comfortable. Thanks, Tommy! We would definitely stay here if we should go to Hue again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marco b
Dublin
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel is amazing! The most helpful, conscientious staff you will come across. Rooms were large and clean with excellent air-con. Free water in the fridge, tea and coffee available all day at reception and a great breakfast. Ok, the decor may be a little out-dated but at such a reasonable price you can hardly expect absolute luxury. Full marks New Life!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie M
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

The girl behind the front desk is really friendly and very helpful. The room we were allocated was nice and spacious although the TV didn't work, but we weren't too fussed about that.
We were told we would get free water, but we were actually charged for this when we came to pay our bill.
We only stayed 2 nights and on our last day my girlfriend discovered that £60 had gone missing which she had left in the room hidden inside her passport on the bed side table.
The only person other than ourselves to enter the room would have been the cleaner. We approached the girl behind the front desk and she seemed genuinely concerned and spoke with the cleaner who denied any knowledge of the money. We couldn't prove anything, but it was pretty obvious who took the money. I'm guessing she needs the money more than us, but it was a shame as we thought we found a good deal at Newlife, but infanct ended up £60 down on our already tight budget.
I hope his doesn't happen to any future guests and that if it does, perhaps action can be taken to the one responsible.
I would reccomend his hotel still as its perfect for back packers on a tight budget. Just keep your money on you and "don't trust the cleaner."

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Mantho84
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We read the reviews on here before booking which are perhaps a little flattering. The rooms are not 5* but good enough on a budget. That said you do get a large room with TV, good location and free breakfast. they also arrange transport to and from train station and airport for us and the staff were very friendly. They also looked after our bags for us while we were away.

We booked a day trip around the Hue historic sights which we thought was great value. BEWARE, you then have to pay for all the sites you visit on top which trebles the cost of the trip. Apparently this trip is often mis-sold.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

...or more specifically faulty shower. I checked into my room only to notice that the showerhead had been broken off, I headed downstairs to mention it and they informed me that the previous occupants had broken it but it would be fixed later that day. I'd just got off a miserable nightbus from Nha Trang so I badly needed a shower but was happy to wait a few hours, however it didn't get fixed or replaced that afternoon and again when I returned in the evening nothing had been replaced.
Cue a procession of various members of staff trapsing up to my room to gaze in a puzzled manner at the broken shower that I'd pointed out to them 10 hours previous, again they told me the previous occupants had broken it (really? I know that!) , perhaps I could wash in the sink? maybe just use the headless shower to douse myself like a hosepipe, or even quickly use next doors shower as they were currently out for the evening! No, no and no.
Eventually after I threatened to check into another hotel they managed to find some electrical tape and temporarily fix it, 36 hours later a new showerhead was located!
Now I realise its not their fault that that shower got vandalised, (I'm not sure if there had been a full scale UFC bout in there as the doorhandle and the towel rail had been ripped off too) but they cheerfully checked me into the room knowing fully well that it was broken, and had no immediate plan to fix it, and that's not acceptable, nor is the fact that they kept telling me it would be replaced immediately, leaving me to constantly keep asking when it would be fixed and pressure them into finally doing something about it, hassle I can do without.
It's entirely unprofessional and no end of smiling, free coffee, yogurt or bananas are going to paper over this first world annoyance.
Pitiful service aside. The hotel is in a decent location & reasonably priced, the ineffectual staff are friendly but I'm not sure which room is on the photos but it's an lot nicer and better decorated than the one I got given. I think they photoshopped it.

Room Tip: Despite one of the previous reviewers apparent good fortune, the mini-bar is not free.