“An Authentic Vietnamese Culinary Experience”

Family Home Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 385 Restaurants in Hue
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Greeting from Family Home Restaurant! With the aim of serving our valued guests fresh & delicious dishes,we always buy food daily from the markets and only cook the food right after you order your dishes.( Meanwhile other restaurants may prepare the food in advance and they just rewarm it when you order).Besides, we also put the hygienic standard on the highest importance. Also, we would like to introduce to you several local specialities by guiding you the way of cooking if you prefer ( cooking show). We are pleased to welcome you !
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This tiny restaurant is well named, as I felt as though I was eating in someone’s home dining room, and I was! Several generations of the host family were sometimes watching TV in an adjacent room while I was eating, and I enjoyed the family atmosphere. They smiled at me but kept to themselves, so were not an intrusion. I ate here all 3 days that I was in Hue because the food and prices were so enticing that I couldn’t see any point in patronizing anywhere else. It seemed that I was eating authentically prepared Vietnamese food, and this was something I was keen to experience. I had the stir-fried beef with peppers and sesame seeds, and it was among my favourite meals in Southeast Asia. The shrimp spring rolls were also great, as was the shakshouka breakfast. It can take a little patience to get your food, because everything is made fresh to order. This place is located in a busy alley, and is easy to find, and well worth the effort. I’d asked the travel agent down the street to recommend a place to eat nearby, and this was her suggestion. The service was always friendly, and I felt that this was a good occasion to leave a sizeable tip, even though this is not common or expected in Southeast Asia. I found that this was very much appreciated.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went here for lunch and ordered iced coffee with (extra) condensed milk, fresh pork spring rolls and pork noodles. This was way too much food - there were about 7 spring rolls (so I ended up having them packed to take away)!
Service felt a little slow considering there weren't many people in there when I went, but staff were nice :)
Personally, didn't think the food was that great, but at least I was full!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This restaurant is right opposite the hotel we are staying in so popped in for dinner and it turned out to be a great place. The vegetable curry was so tasty and really big portions for a great price. Also tried the fresh vegetarian spring rolls that were lovely as well.

All of the food on the menu is reasonably priced and they have a fantastic range and a good vegetarian selection.

Staff are very friendly and it has a great atmosphere. Definitely one to try in Hue.

1  Thank Elmzie
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Verdict: The BEST value-for-money yummy food in Hue!

Tip: Family Home Restaurant is located on a small lane off Nguyen Tri Phuong road. Look out for an Indian restaurant on Nguyen Tri Phuong road. Beside the Indian restaurant is the small lane.

I tried 3 restaurants in Hue - Family Home Restaurant, Nina's Cafe and Les Jardins de La Carambole. Family Home Restaurant is the winner for value-for-money. Les Jardins is great for atmosphere and quality & presentation of food (and you pay for it, of course).

What's great about Family Home Restaurant:
1. Freshly cooked food (no frozen/pre-prepared food; and thus, expect to wait 15+ minutes for each dish to be served)
2. Great selection of food available
3. Authentic local Hue/Vietnamese food
4. Helpful, smiley and English-speaking waitress (daughter? daughter-in-law?)
5. Relatively low prices (e.g. freshly squeezed orange juice for 20,000 VND or US$1.00)

Check out the photos (sorry I don't remember the name of the dishes!). Absolutely mouth-watering! Did I mention cheap?

We basically rolled out the door. We were that full! Soooo good!

1  Thank LifesExplorer
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Then have a coffee and banana shake at Family Home. You can also try it with mango or pineapple but we thought that to be a little too adventurous. We had the rice and shrimp thingies, ban beo I guess, which were a little strange in consistency. The main course was nicer, though there could have been a little bit more meat in there. Cudos for the skaes though!