“Peaceful Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ana Mandara Hue
Ranked #30 of 123 Hotels in Hue
“Peaceful Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just returned from our trip to Vietnam and this hotel was fabulous. The rooms were amazing and have the most comfy beds we had slept in. Breakfast was great lots of different choices. The evening menu I think should be improved with a bigger selection as I think if we were staying longer than 6 nights it could get boring eating the same. I recommend the chicken hotpot which comes to your table with all the raw ingredients for you to cook yourself, special thanks to Ha who helped us with this. The people of Vietnam are really so friendly and I'd especially like to thank Ha and Nhung who really did a great job of looking after us. I could tell they made a real effort to learn English, which must be very difficult. Thanks for leaving us with great memories of Vietnam and hopefully we will be back. Debbie & Pete

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Debs5082
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Debbie and Pete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us recently, they are very Much appreciated, and especially your words on Ms Ha, she is lovely, and is so kind and cares so much for our Guests to ensure they enjoy Hue, and she portrays genuine Vietnamese affection for the Country

Actually all our staff are Special people, and when the day comes when I leave here will be Hard to say good bye, when all seems against you In the Job as a Manager a Big warm Smile and a good Morning from a Gardener or House keeper makes it all OK again

Be nice to see you Back here again

Kind Regards

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

The location is great though away from Hue city (25 mins drive ) but beautiful beach in a quiet village. Signs getting there is limited so taxis often get in wrong which can be daunting getting home late at night.

We had a pool villa which was beautiful and nicely layer out with indoor and outdoor shower. The one complain I have is everything in the rooms aren't well kept. They are still mostly comfortable and welcoming. The draining for the shower ( both indoor and outdoor ) isn't the best as it collects water quite badly, one of the sliding door handle fell off when we try to open it. These are all down to management investments in maintenance. Personal choice but bed was too soft for me.

The overall service tend to be slow and nervous. Again this is down to investment in training as we both agreed that the staff are trying their best. Probably a little understaffed too. House keeping appeared rushed and things aren't always replaced.

If you can see past all these, this is a great place to be. If they don't improve on the maintenance and staff training, it will go down in rating very quickly and the area is popping up with so many new resorts few hours south towards Danang..

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank waysted
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for your Comments on your recent Stay at Ana Mandara, it is appreciated that you take the time to review on Trip Advisor, and those comments are Appreciated, and are used to improve what we do

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Because we were staying for 2 weeks over the Tet holiday, I’d done my home work and read everything I could about Hue, the Tet and what to expect during it, and the Hotel, before we arrived. All I can say is nothing let us down we had a fabulous holiday. The Hotel was just what we wanted away from the hustle and bustle of a hectic life, there was an amazing beach with warm white sand that went on for miles that we practically had to ourselves.
Spring arrived as we did and apart from one cloudy day and a couple of rain showers on the Chinese New Years Eve and day (which according to what I read is supposed to be lucky for the New Year) we had wall to wall sunshine.
We were warmly welcomed on arrival by Hang one of the hotels receptionists. We no problems understanding any of the reception staff during our stay. We were given a refreshing ginger tea (which is supposed to be served cold, except to the trip adviser who wanted it hot..lol) and was just what we needed after a long journey. At this point I’d like to thank Toni the hotels Aussie manager for the upgrade to a beach front villa. It was spectacular and I could have lived in it permanently. (I’d noted from reports left on trip adviser there seemed to be a lack of senior management about the hotel .well that’s because you did not know who you were looking for, Toni lives on site and was only a couple of villas away from ours and was easily recognizable from the hotels Facebook pages. He is one of those managers who blended in with the guests but always had his finger on the pulse of how the hotel was running and he had a great knowledge of the resort, its surrounding village and Hue itself.) The Villa was amazing and I used the outside shower every day. The bed was huge and was so comfortable happy dreams came easy. In the morning we drew back the curtains to a light sea mist with the sun breaking though.. Buffalo walking on the otherwise empty beach and by 9ish the sun was up the mist had cleared and the day and I began to bake.
But before that there was breakfast. What a spread - there was continual, full English, American pancakes , Chinese soup and noodles , fresh toast, fruit juices tea, coffee fresh fruit, nuts . Breakfasts were great and so was the service. Thank you Nhung, Hung and Nguyen hai oc for looking after us so well and Tran Qang Cuong for the fry-ups. Don’t be late down as the hotel does cater for coach loads of tourists, who are travelling around Vietnam and rest up for a couple of days, eat everything in sight, and then off they go again and then peace returns.
After breakfast we would go exploring the local village, we went down all the little back alleys where the locals were cleaning and painting their houses ready for the Tet a great tradition of sweeping out the old ready for the new. The Vietnamese are totally family orientated and it was lovely to see how friendly they are and the children playing in the street. Every where we went there was always a friendly hello, where you from, what’s your name and never once did we feel vulnerable. It was on one of these trips out we came across a martial arts school, we were invited to watch. The teacher turned to his class and must have said something on the lines of lets show them what we can do.. And they did kids both boys and girls aged 6- 16 put on a show that I will never forget. Fantastic and freely given.
We used the hotel shuttle service for days out to Hue and explored the Forbidden City and other sites, all worth while. And we also used it to go out in the evenings to eat out, food was a joy, I ate at restaurants and street vendors but our best find was Lien Hoa . A vegetarian restaurant that the Buddhist monks and nuns still use. The food is fabulous.
During the Tet the Hotel had laid on 4 days of excursions to local places of interest, we went on the 3rd day and were not disappointed. The driver also provided us with little bottles of water
. The drivers of the shuttle bus were also polite and anyone who can drive with all the motorbikes , cows, dogs and anything else that wants to use the roads , in my book they deserved a medal.
Over the Tet period the hotel also put on special festival menus as a lot of the restaurants in Hue closed.
One small comment, all the menus could add a few more veggie options and the catering staff need reminding what vegetarian really means.
The grounds in the hotel are beautiful maintained by a dedicated team of gardeners a nice touch for the staff where over the Tet they were allowed to bring their children with them to work.
The swimming pool was great, the water was warm and the attendant put towels ready on the sun loungers.
I think I've gone on too much, I could go on but I think I've given you the message about this Hotel. The Ana Mandara is GREAT
Thanks also to Doan chi Hang and Phan Thi Nham for keeping the villa so clean and it’s a nice touch that with turn down service in the evenings there was always two little cakes left.
Also Hang, Quy and Anh on reception.
Sue and I wish everyone at the Ana Mandara a Chúc mừng năm mới.

Room Tip: Beach front villas are a must
1 Thank ibmerrie
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Well, I have to say thank you for your generous comments, you have really gone to a lot of trouble to highlight the Good things about our business, and I am very happy you took the time to explore the local village as it really is the heart and soul of the Area we live, there may be the comforts of a Hotel here at Ana Mandara, but it is really nice to mix with the locals

I thank you for your Comments about Management being on the job, It is sometimes rather annoying to read "No Visible Management" I sometimes don't know what some people expect maybe it is ego

You have had a memorable time her in Hue and I am so happy for you and your wife, and as you mention being here at TET is also a special time as Vietnamese people really do care from the Heart

Kind Regards

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

After reading the other good reviews here about Ana Mandara, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by the experience. We came to Vietnam for the Tet / Lunar New Year break and spent some time in Hoi An (which I have reviewed) before coming to Hue for 5 nights. Maybe this place suffers a little by comparison or perhaps things were different during Tet, but we did not enjoy it as much. My husband commented that it felt like they had a checklist of all the things that you need at a resort and can say they have them, but somehow they didn't quite pull it off. Some other local businesses let customers know that their staff take time off during Tet to see family and to 'be patient' with the service - I am not sure if that was the case here, but it felt like the kids had been left in charge while the parents were away (we did not see anyone who looked like they were in charge until the last 1-2 days of our stay).

The resort itself is set on the South China Sea and seems relatively new and well kept - the room was a good size and the bathroom was lovely, but the bed in the middle of the room with no side tables was awkward and did not work for me. Small things went wrong for us from the time we arrived and the effect was cumulative. The driver struggled to find the resort off a main road and with no signage, set in a fishing village with nothing around it. The check-in staff struggled to communicate with us - this is obviously always and issue in a non-English speaking country (and we live in Asia, so it's not new), but they struggled more than most and this was an issue throughout our stay. When we finally got into the room, we put items in the safe and then it locked and wouldn't unlock (and NO, we didn't forget the combination) - they got it open but couldn't fix the problem and so got us a new safe. We then had to get them to open the new safe a further two times - and NO, we didn't forget the combination. The shower flooded nearly the entire bathroom on the first night. Housekeeping didn't replace one or two items nearly every day and we had to ask for some items at times.

The resort is relatively small and has one main restaurant and a smaller satellite and pool bar. The menu is pretty amazing with a huge choice, but EVERY meal we ordered, without fail, they did not have at least one of the items we ordered. They would take the order and inevitably 10-15 minutes later the waitress would return to say they didn't have this or that - er, how about telling the staff at the outset you are out of something, so they can tell people before they order? Everything took a long time and sometimes you'd get free bread before your meal and sometimes not. Breakfast was a bit of a shambles, with stuff running out all the time, no plates, no milk for coffee, no coffee, sometimes cutlerty at your table and sometimes not. I went to the gym each day early-ish, so by the time I arrived for breakfast, pickings were very slim and messy from everyone else grabbing what they wanted first.

The fitness centre was just fine and we had a massage at the spa, which I enjoyed. My husband said he had found some of the massage painful to the point he had to indicate the therapist back off a bit and I thought he was just being sensitive, but we overheard two other couples saying exactly the same and in fact one swore off having a massage ever again. We spent time by the pool each day, but competition for the lounge beds was fierce, as it's small and there are not many. The pool is not warm and the sun tends to fade mid-afternoon, so you can't sit out there all day - it can also get very windy with the breeze off the ocean and a bit cold. The ocean seems to have eroded the retaining wall at the end of the resort with the villas and pool villas fairly substantially, with most of the wall now residing on the beach, which would be disconcerting if you were staying in one of those - we didn't have that problem!

The resort operates a shuttle to and from the town about 25 minutes away at fairly regular intervals if you want to shop or eat in Hue. I didn't personally find Hue very interesting, but there are some sights to see. We booked two 4 hour excursions to see local landmarks, but I thought they were not particularly good value for money and they did not provide the promised towel and water on one of them - small, but given what we were paying, not unreasonable to expect. The guides they contracted were very good, but I thought we could have combined the two tours and managed it in 4 hours without the cheap meal they include with each. There are free bikes you can use at the resort, but there is nothing much to see IMO at the fishing village (despite the comments about local business and farming etc) and most people seem to use them to stock up on water and beer to avoid the resorts prices. They provide one tiny bottle of water per person per day, which is not enough and then charge you mini bar prices for more. There was free WiFi at the resort, but we had trouble getting and staying connected some of the time, but not a hugely big deal. There were a number of families staying also with smaller kids and they seemed to struggle to find things to occupy them, which I guess can always be an issue when going away as a family. The other place we stayed made a big deal out of Tet and decorating it and having some of the traditions explained to guests, but we saw virtually no mention of it at Ana Mandara.

I understand why some people loved this place - it was new and clean and in a lovely setting. Some might also say that you need to give people a break in a developing country. I think if you're paying these kind of prices and there are other places that can do it better, then you should expect the same. Overall it was not a totally bad experience, but cumulatively, it was not great either - I think they could do a lot better, if they tried.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for Staying at Ana mandara Hue, and Thankyou for taking the time to detail your experirnce on Trip Advisor, I am sorry we did not live up to your expetation,However in defence it is not easy running a Business that has a 10 day Public Holiday break, everything closes including banks and more, Suppliers closed for almost 18 days

All Comments are welcome constructive comments help us to improve our delivery of service

We are pleased you Had an enjoyable time at least In Vietnam

Marbella
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just spent 2 nights in this hotel in a deluxe room. It is in a lovely beachside location with a beautiful swimming pool. However, it is situated about 20 minutes outside the town of Hue, but the hotel runs a shuttle bus. The buffet breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice. However, for an elegant looking room, it has many dificiencies. Firstly the lighting is very poor, there is only one chair in the bedroom, despite it being quite a good size room. There is a rather uncomfortable sofa on the terrace, with no small table to put drinks. Also there are no bedside tables and you have to actually get out of bed to switch off the lights when reading. The bathroom is excellent with both a bath and excellent shower cubicle. The room is a classic case of nobody actually checking out the practical aspects of using the room.

2 Thank TPW2
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Ana Mandara, There is a plus side to be located a short drive from Down town Hue and apart from the fantastic beach there is a very much local working Village with people who derive their income from Aqua farming, Land Farming, Children going to School and Just to walk around the Village is a delight
I note your comments on the room fit out, and design, and Yes I guess at times those who do design and Build, sometimes over look the obvious, I do not Know of hown many Hotel pools I have seen over the years that have been biult in an area that gets the least amount of sunshine

I am Pleased you enjoyed your stay

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hotel on the beach beautiful so quiet and peaceful. Staff are lovely thank you phong (butler) for our wonderful trip, the rooms are clean and well appointed could do with a table and chairs on the balcony, also a small digital clock by the TV would be helpful as no bedside table. The shuttle bus to town is great and just enough time to have a meal,massage and a few drinks perfect evening.

2 Thank SunbatheKent
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank You very much for taking the time to comment to T/A on your most recent Stay with us, and i appreciate your feed back, we are very gratefull of your suggestions

I guess that the room you had was a duplex, why they did not build or install day lounges on the balcony as with the deluxe rooms I will never know, so improvise for the moment, we have placed some furnishings on the Balconies of the Duplex rooms and are in the process of installing more permanent fixtures for the future

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am getting ready to check out after three nights and four days and want to let my Trip Advisor friends in on this secret. It is a great resort for adults and parents. Rooms are great -- we had a villa right on the beach. Twice had about ten water buffaloes wander past in the morning. spa and drinks are pricey, but a walk into the fishing village right outside the gate drops the diet cola and beer -- two staples -- cost in half. The local economy appreciates the business as well. As for the resort, the staff s friendly and speaks some English but is fluent in hospitality and warmth. Turly a pleasant experience. Also, the maybe one of the best hotel beds ever!!! If it wasnt for the food and sunshine I could have stayed in bed all day listening to the waves.

Room Tip: take the beach villas!!
1 Thank NewJerseyJim01
Thank you for Taking the time and effort to inform your friends and others about your stay with us, it is very much appreciated, and by the way there is nothing wrong with staying in bed all day relaxing to the sounds of the waves crashing on the beach, but then again being out and enjoying what we have on our door step is not to be missed

I am pleased you went into the local village and supported the economy, it is important for the Resort and its guests to inter mingle, it is the real Vietnam once you spend time with the locals, something you will not experience in Danang or the Big cities, and their welcome smile is very warming

Tony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hue
Vedana Lagoon Resort & Spa
Hotel Saigon Morin
Hotel Saigon Morin
#23 of 123 in Hue
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,437 reviews

Been to Ana Mandara Hue? Share your experiences!