“How to turn a hotel with a lovely location and a lovely villa into a one star experience” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ana Mandara Hue

and 1 more site!
Ana Mandara Hue
Ranked #30 of 122 Hotels in Hue
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked for four nights in a beach villa in January. Passed through Hue between Saigon (Park Hyatt) and the Hanoi (Metropole).

First the good. The beach villa we stayed in was spectacular. Great bathroom and big open space. Had the weather been better we would have been better able to avail ourselves of the outside areas. Still, great views of the beach and the waves crashing.

Now the not so good. Only at the very end did we see anyone who worked there who looked to have much authority. The English spoken by the staff was not up to par, so it was difficult to get them to understand many things. Well meaning, yes, but not up to concierge standard (don't you need that for a 5* hotel?).

Furthermore, there is little attention to detail. The DVD players are old and Region encoded so you can't bring your own. There were two lights which had burned out. The couches had spills on them. The towels had holes in them. The walls had holes in them (note to management: behind the left bedside lamp in room 141). None of this is 5 star standard.

The food is poor. At dinner the only night we ate there we ordered three courses and all of them were flawed: morning glory tasteless in a puddle of oil, pancakes where the chef "forgot" the filling, and four prawns in a cereal bowl with a few half cooked onions (for Dong 360,000!). Breakfast was similarly poor. Soggy breads and cold coffee from a thermos. Again, when was the last time you went for cold coffee in a 5* hotel. Twice in succession I asked for an espresso, which I was told I would have to pay for, and twice it was reversed by (invisible) management.

After two nights we had enough. We decided to book a suite for the final two nights at La Residence (I'll post a review of that soon) and eat the costs of the beach villa if necessary. Before leaving the Ana Mandara, I asked to speak to management so I could explain why we were leaving. We were directed to the front office manager, who was a lovely woman who understood the issues we raised. But she was unable to process a refund for the unused two nights and I asked to speak to the General Manager (AussieTony on Tripadvisor).

I was willing to give this review three stars until my meeting with the general manager. He was unwilling to meet me in our villa - we wanted to show him the holes in the towels and the wall - but he said he wanted to be on "neutral ground". A stunning comment coming from a hotel manager. (We thought we were guests in a property managed by him.) Apparently he was there when we had the espresso charge reversed but failed to introduce himself. (Why wouldn't a GM introduce him to a guest?) I pointed out the reasons why I felt that the property wasn't 5 stars but insisted it was and he asked me if I knew where he stayed when he was traveling. Then, he said that we stressed out a staff member because she was three months pregnant. (I was equally shocked that he would betray private information about staff.) Finally, he agreed to process the refund as long as I would end the discussion. Later, I did try to shake his hand and thank him upon check out but he turned his back on my wife and me. We did receive a refund for all four nights, which he promised, I hadn't expected or asked for.

The point of this is that this is not a bad property which proper management or attention to detail couldn't fix. But until it is fixed, we recommend that you avoid.

Room Tip: Beachfront villas are a must.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tintable
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I wish to Say that Rules on trip Advisor to respondents are very strict, I full expected this review, and There are always to sides to every story,

I have sadly an extrem;ley good recollection of the Events, lasting all but 3 minutes, with the reviewer that is why he was given a full refund as he required, and that I prefer to make no ,more comment

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel does a good job of creating a four star experience. However to be five star you have to have an outstanding feature on site. This hotel does not meet this test.

Rooms and grounds were clean. Really friendly staff. Other than horrifying our dog loving family with "eat dogs" stories by a friendly staff member we enjoyed this hotel. A wee bit remote, Skip if night life action is important to you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Doughkat
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments, taking the time to review your stay is appreciated, your experience with the conversation regarding dogs would have been not one that would have been at all comfortable, I have been working in Asia now almost 30 years, and while it is often spoken about in western conversation, I have not heard anything personally, it would have been very un comfortable

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the resort for two days over the Christmas Holidays. We live in Hue so we go out there because of the excellent value we get to stay in a beach front resort. The rooms especialy the Beach front Villas are great, well furnished and lots of choices in the bathroom for full bath, shower inside or outside. I travel all over the world and never have seen larger bathrooms.

Food is ok but a little high in price and the breakfast buffet is ok. Beautiful pool and nice beach make it a pleasant stay if the weather is nice, but we got usual Hue winter weather for two days which made the beach and the pool mostly unusable. We have stayed in he summer though and it was great to use the facilities.

Room Tip: Try to get a beach front villa or a beach view superior room. The standard rooms are a little under...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to Comment on your Stay at Ana Mandara, it is appreciated, and even more so, as you are a Local, it is great to have local support, to enjoy the facilities and the beach,, as you say shame about the Weather especially when prior to Christmas New Year it was so unseasonably nice, but I guess the winter is drawing to a close and the Good weather will be with us again soon, so hope to see your here again

Regards
Hue, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the resort during the new year and this is the fifth times we comeback .We love the room ith ocean view and it so relax when you are seat next to the swimming pool and be able to watching the peaceful ocean at the same time

Special the bathroom is so huge ,you can have three different style of shower ,such as outside shower like you are in the countryside and indoor shower with thr glass around and then will be nice bathtub to look out the garden ,it is beautiful and we will comeback more if we can get our oceanview room .

Room Tip: Ocean view room,pool villa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Hana3012
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments, And 5th time staying with us, for that we are Very Grateful, I think I may know who you are and I want to Offer you something Special for your 6th Visit

Please let me know when you decide to stay with us again

We Really Appreciate your valued Support, Happy New Year 2013

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the Ana Mandara. It is a beautiful resort. But for someone wanting to see much if Hue town it is too far away(20 mins). The resort does offer a free shuttle service but only goes into town 3 times a day.. Which for me wasn't frequent enough. The cost of food at the resort is a bit more pricey than you'll find in town, though it is nice. There aren't many places to eat near the resort. Staff were very friendly and the pool area and beach is nice. My partner and I have stayed at many resorts that are a bit further out from the action during our SE Asia trip and it wasnt a problem but for us this resort is too far away.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Sarahel9
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent Stay with Ana Mandara, we get mixed comments regarding the location mostly favourable, in Peak times we do increase the Free shuttle to more frequency especially during the day

Many people staying here are on a extended Vietnam Tour and welcome the beach Location as a few days rest after a hectic Schedule and many stay here just for the beach alone, But I guess If you want to be in the City of Hue and you don not like the 20 minute journey.

There are a number of food outlets here on the beach however they have closed for the Holidays, They are good value and in expensive Especially the sea Food (when They Choose to Open that is)

Happy 2013

Tony Shepherd
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Ana Mandara Resort in Hue was a welcome retreat from the hustle-bustle that is daily life in Vietnam. At first we thought we would have preferred to stay in Hue city as the Ana Mandara is a few kilometres out of town, but after realising there isn't a lot to see in the city, we were happy to be where we were. It's situated on a lovely beach, and is reminiscent of places you'd expect to see in Bali. The resort has everything you need - lovely rooms and grounds, wonderful staff, fabulous restaurant and pool, and an outdoor bar as well. Walking up the beach, we found heaps of fishing boats pulled up onto the sand, and watched as the sun set behind them.
It's too far to walk into town, but taxis are cheap. We dined in the restaurant every night and were never disappointed with our meals. Would definitely recommend it to anyone, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Limotrav
AUSSIETONY, General Manager at Ana Mandara Hue, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Fellow Queenslander,

Thank you very much for your comments, they are truly helpful to our positioning, and to those torn between Staying in Hue city or Taking advantage of a wonderful Beach destination, and you said it well, Thank you

I am very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and hope you return again to AMH and Vietnam

Regards

Alicante, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Beautiful resort Hotel 20 minutes outside Hue town.
Rooms are spacious with elegant decor,
The staff are friendly and go out of their way to accommodate you with any.request you may have
The pool is very well maintained and the restaurant staff are helpful.
It would be a good idea if the shuttle bus ran more often but otherwise all was good ,apart from the weather!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you pay more you get one overlooking the beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 512Jill
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your Recent stay at Ana Mandara Hue, we do appreciate that Guests make the effort to share their experiences with others. and those deciding to choose the Hotel they are going to spend time,

as we are a beach front Property and the only one in Hue, and our Guests do find it a welcome relief especially if they have been travelling around for some time, to wake up to the sounds of waves crashing
As you mentioned the weather, I guess it was bad timing as the weather has been unusually good for this time of the year and all the locals say the same, so it is unfortunate you did not experience the Nice side of Hue Weather

Tony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hue
Vedana Lagoon Resort & Spa
Hotel Saigon Morin
Hotel Saigon Morin
#23 of 122 in Hue
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,435 reviews

Been to Ana Mandara Hue? Share your experiences!