“Good hotel but avoid the dining!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mondial Hotel Hue

Mondial Hotel Hue
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Hue
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but avoid the dining!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Like one previous reviewer of this hotel, I am surprised how this hotel gets good ratings.

Although centrally located, unlike the Hotel Morin, it is not on the waterfront.
It is not a bad location but then you just put up with it. The view from the top floors sre not inspiring.

The rooms and the bathrooms are spacious and clean and my room came with a balcony.

My problems with this hotel was the restaurant and dinner. I dined there on the 24th of February 2013 and the service was bad. There was just myself and a French couple in the whole dining room which should have been a warning. There were more staff than customers.
I ordered a glass of red wine and it came chilled! The red wine was chilled! The French couple were laughing but the waitress could not understand why I was complaining.
For the benefit of the Manager: Red wine is NEVER served chilled. I did ask to speak to the manager but the staff just laughed and were only keen on my signature on the bill. I stood my ground and eventually a lady assistant manager of sorts appeared when they realised that I was not going to sign the bill.. She could not understand English and a main reception girl had to come in as interpreter. I still don't think I got the message across.
(I must say that I am British and do speak good English just as I can write!)

I then ordered Spaghetti Bolognaise and what I got was spaghetti stirred with a brownish sauce!
My repeated requests to speak to a proper manager got the standard response that the manager was away.
The next evening I ordered Beef Curry from room service. What I got was a beef stew with more potatoes than beef and no trace of curry!

I did make a written complaint asking for a reply but so far I haven't heard anything.
I notice that the Hotel Manager does respond on Tripadvisor but only to favourable reviews. I wonder why!

On the plus side I did have a reasonable 60 min massage in the Spa.

Room Tip: From a top room you do get a view of sorts.....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mondial Hotel H... V, Assistant Sales Manager at Mondial Hotel Hue, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Mr Gyan,

First of all, on behalf of Mondial Hotel Hue Management, I would like to thank you so much for the time you have taken to post your valuable comments on TripAdvisor. Please accept our deepest apologies for the recent inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to the service at restaurant at our hotel. We are all disappointed to read that your hotel experience has not been up to the level of expectation because of the bad service in the dinning room and the lack of English skill of staff you have mentioned.

On my return to the hotel the issue was reported to me and I apologize that I did not have the chance to see you before you checked out. I then sent immediately to you a letter of apology to your email address written on the hotel’s comment. I wonder why you did not receive it. Thank to your review on tripad, in response to your kind feedback, I’d like to explain as follow:

- As the information I received from the Duty Manager that night, after a glass of chilled red wine, our restaurant had realized their mistake and served you 2 next glasses of hot red wine and offered you a discount for the first wine glass and Spaghetti on the plus. All your responses we received were that you didn’t want any discount but talk to General Manager. We wish our Manager was there but he had gone for his famtrip.
- Our Hotel Management had a meeting to all duty managers including F&B manager to ensure that such problem will never happen again and the hotel’s staff must be non-stop trained to have more extra carefulness to the guests the next time.

Once again, I want to express our thankfulness to you for the feedback you have provided. It is my sincere belief that you want us to improve our service and will give us opportunities to provide the better service to you for your next trip to Hue City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We weren't thrilled when we realized that our travel agent put us at a hotel that catered to bus tours. We also weren't thrilled when we found ourselves in a room facing the main road. Our concerns were unfounded, though. The Mondial is a cookie cutter hotel, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The ungraded room we had (501) was spacious, with sufficient air conditioning - something crucial in Hue. The front desk was helpful and was eager to help us with restaurant recommendations or help us get a taxi. The breakfast was unimpressive, which I would say was a downside. The other strange quirk was that they wouldn't let us leave until they were sure that we didn't "steal" any of their towels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not sure what other options there are in Hue but didn't see much else than this. All in all Hue seemed like a waste of time (we were there for three days which was far too long).
The hotel itself is dated, rooms were better than what it looks like from the outside but nothing incredible. Have to say that they had a wide range of breakfast options which was good including a wide range of fruit and western/Asian breakfasts.

We ordered room service two nights and found it very annoying that I had a lovely vegetable curry the first night, ordered it the second (as did my sister since it had been lovely) and then was given a totally different and disgusting curry the second night which was very disappointing.

Lots of outside noise too which was very irritating. We were on third floor (fitness centre level) and were constantly woken up in the early mornings by service carts and I believe there is a staff eating/break area outside next to the room so we were constantly woken up by loud talking and noise from there. Room 307 is one to avoid at all costs but our family members in the other level 3 rooms were also woken,vjust not as much.

Room Tip: Avoid third floor rooms (and ninth if there are rooms there as that is dining level).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. We loved the balcony we had with our room. Breakfast on the 9th floor was really nice with a great view as well. We booked a few tours through the hotel. We had a private tour to Hoi An which was great but expensive compared to other private tours we did on our trip. The half day city tour was pretty awful. The group was just way too large and we didn't care at all for the buffet style lunch. The tour ended somewhere in the middle of Hue and we had to find our way back to the hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable. I usually stay in smaller hotels but for a large hotel this wasn't bad at all.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. Our's overlooked the street near the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mondial Hotel H... V, Assistant Sales Manager at Mondial Hotel Hue, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Anne r
We’re so happy to see your great review to our Hotel via Tripadvisor. I myself had a nice speaking to you & your family the day you checked in & we are glad to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us.
For the private tour to Hoian, although the price is expensive compared to other Travel Agent, but this tour was includes Tax, service charge and travel insurance as well as meal, guide and entrance fees. We have tried to bring to our guest the best service as we can so the car and restaurant in the tour were selected carefully. Our goal is always to make sure that all of our guests have a wonderful stay with us; to achieved this goal is a real satisfaction and a great motivation for the Team.
We hope to welcome you back in our hotel soon. In the meantime, should you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us directly.
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was a "holiday inn" at best. I felt like I was in an old hotel with extremely poor lighting. It was fun to have a balcony in our room and a large "bedroom" but that was it. This was my least favorite hotel of our entire trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
gold coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great hotel, the rooms are a lot larger than what it says on agoda.We had a city deluxe was 30m 2.Very Clean and comfortable with a view and great buffet breakfast in the rooftop restaurant.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andreakim0
Dear Andreakim0,
Thank you very much for your great time to write a review. I appreciate your comment, and I do hope that we could continue serving you with our best service. Moreover, I would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that we have different room categories; therefore please rest assured that we will try our best to offer you and all of our guests the most comfortable stays.
Thank you again for sharing your experience. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Your sincerely.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the X'mas holiday. Hue is a small Vietnamese city with an important past and looks like it is just getting on to the tourist bandwagon. That being the case, there aren't actually any international hotel chains present (I believe) so the Mondial is one of the larger hotels around. Was pleasantly surprised; was expecting a smaller outfit but it first came across as clean and modern.

Pros:
- Nice, large rooms. Relatively clean and new, decent though basic amenities
- Nice breakfast spread

Cons:
- Internet was spotty. I had no problems with it on the 7th floor but my sister on the 3rd floor could not get connected at all and the hotel staff was of no help
- Service was enthusiastic, but subpar. Our dinner on the 9th floor cafe took almost an hour to arrive. Room service for an ice cream dessert (and ONLY ice cream), took almost half hour. Language skills were poor. Still, to be fair, they WERE trying
- The spa is a bit dingy. Still, it IS cheap so if you're not too fussed about cleanliness, try it out!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family