“Too pushy about tours”

Ranked #6 of 120 Hotels in Hue
Bath, United Kingdom
“Too pushy about tours”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is a nice hotel tucked away in a alley off an alley. We liked the quirky little decorative touches. We stayed twice. It's hemmed in so there are no views, but our room was at the front and was light. It was clean and well decorated. The only problem was that the shower had no cubicle/curtain so the floor was flooded after a shower, and the only mirror and wastebin were in the bathroom. In the second room we had, there was a miniature bath designed for sitting in under the shower! As this had a step in it, it made it hard to stand under the shower, while doing nothing to cure the 'water on the floor' problem. A small breakfast was included - there was no choice, but it changed daily. The staff seemed friendly and welcoming, offering drinks and fruit etc, but we felt it was all a bit artificial. Nowhere we have stayed have staff been so insistent about getting us to go on their tours - we wondered if they were on commission! At breakfast the first day they told us about their tours to the tombs etc. Fair enough. We said we were going to walk round the citadel that day. The next day we were interviewed again about tours. We were evasive. We went off to check out some agencies and surprise! The tomb tour was available elsewhere for significantly less (we finally went with on Thu Wheels who provided a very nice car with driver). When we arrived back after dinner in the evening a member of staff asked us as we were going up the stairs what we were doing next day! We told them politely that we had things arranged and didn't need any help. When later we said we wouldn't take a car with driver to Hoi An but were going by train, they declined to book tickets for us and said 'you have to go to station' even though other hotels in Vietnam have happily booked train tickets for us. When we needed a bus ticket to Savannakhet, again, the price they quoted was significantly more than quoted elsewhere and when we asked if they would match the lower price, they declined and said 'must be a different bus'. This shows either ignorance or a lack of truthfulness, since there is in fact only one bus to Savannakhet per day, and all the hotels/agencies are doing is selling an over-priced pick up and transport to the bus station in addition to the bus ticket. We think it's fair enough for a hotel to let you know what they can offer, but pushing so much made us uncomfortable. We would have enjoyed this place far more without the hard sell.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, India
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This hotel was a lovely experience. The room was pleasant and clean with a lot of attention to detail and little extras. A breakfast was included in the price and free coffee was always available on request. The decor of the place was very lively and colourful, especially around the reception with the extra touches for Christmas and New Year still up. The staff were always helpful and making an extra effort..

We came here because it was recommended and were not disappointed. Having said that, there were other good options around in the area at a lower price. So it is probably still worth shopping around if price is an issue.

1 Thank G_A_Karl
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Let me start by saying that I was here over New Year's Day.And what a wonderful way to begin 2014 !
When I checked in, I was welcomed with a plate of cut fruit and a juice. My My at reception ,helped me book my sightseeing trips. I returned early evening .And as I sat down at the lobby computer , a cup of green tea and a lemon cup cake appeared at my elbow !
Then came the invitation to the party that the owners were hosting that evening ...

As I climbed the stairs to my very peaceful room , the aroma of baking and spring rolls being readied for the evening's celebration , wafted up my nostrils ..Yes Ms Thu , the owner's wife was busy in the kitchen. What a lovely , homely feeling..

My room was not very large , but very tastefully decorated . The bathroom was tiny, but more than adequate , with the best hot shower by far, that I experienced in Vietnam.
The New Year's eve party was quite simply , overwhelming . We were plied with wine, beer , and all sorts of goodies. Two of the guests had a birthday , and a huge cake was provided by the owners. I think , not a soul at the table that evening could have been left untouched by this warm , ample generosity . And presented with such quiet humility too.

The hotel is tiny. The owner , Mr Thang , I discover is an artist. And his aesthetic is quite evident in every detail of the décor.
The staff are themselves treated like family, I noticed . They in turn, treat the guests quite so. A special thanks to Kim, and An who even revived my cell phone .

I arrived , a solo traveler, amidst strangers on New Year's eve. And was treated like family. I hope 2014 is full of such lovely surprises...

The next morning , after a nice breakfast , Ms Thu gives me a little bag with a small bottle of water, and a sweet fruit . And I am seen off ,on a nice comfortable bus to my next stop in Vietnam.

I am sorry, if I sound like I am gushing. But I think I wouldn't be wrong in saying, that all this is more than one can expect of family these days..

The more I say, would not be enough for this tiny place .It's not just good value for money. That is the very least.
It is a touching, overwhelming experience. STAY HERE !

Smita Kudva
Mumbai

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room or bathroom if you need one .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank magicloomgirl
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed there with my friend. My friend and I arrived there in the early morning and got a really nice breakfast for welcome. The room and the bathroom were very spacious and clean. The hotel offer really good breakfast everyday. It is made so lovely and different every day. U can also book tours and train/bus tickets with them with a very small service fee. In addition the location is good, lot of street kitchens and restaurants around but still quite. I would stay at the Huenino again, and can highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We arrived early in the morning on the overnight train from Hanoi during which I felt every sleeper on the track. Its fair to say we were a little tired. We arrived at Hue Nino with no advanced warning to staff of our arrival time. We were greeted by Kim who offered us a complimentary breakfast to thank us for staying. We were only staying for the one night. Without any pressure, Kim had thankfully rented us a couple of bikes, given us a map and marked out a suggested a route, generously expanded my modest Vietnamese vocab, organised laundry to be returned later that night and booked a car for our trip to Hoi An the next day explaining what would be good to see along the way before breakfast had arrived. Mr Thang (the owner) then excitedly gave me a ride on a three wheel bike he had just made and I was happy not to break anything when I promptly fell off!

The room was modern, very clean, spacious and well appointed with a bath. It was on the fourth floor but the walk up was worth it.

After a long afternoon biking around the city, bargaining for some of the best buys and eating some of the best food on our trip, we returned to the hotel and Mr Thang was around shouting guests beers.

Hue Nino is a beautiful little family run hotel. You are made to feel like family or given the space that you need. It is the best value stay in Vietnam. Thank you Kim, Trang, My My and Mr Thang for everything and hen som gap lai!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This hotel offered, by far, the best value in Vietnam in our 3 week experience. The quality of the facilities and amenities, the breakfast, and the friendliness of the staff is superb; it's astonishing that the rates can be less than $20/ night, as the ambience is that of a boutique hotel. The hotel appears to have been recently renovated, with marble floors in the bedrooms and common areas, and nice dark tiles in the bathrooms.

The location is good; about 10 minutes walking from the bars and restaurants of the "backpackers' district" and a nice stroll across the bridge or a short cab ride to the Citadel.

The breakfast offered (e.g., omelet or noodles, toast with passionfruit jam, with tea or coffee) is quite good as well. Upon arrival, we were welcomed with lemonade and warm buns (bao) with coconut filling, which were actually the best sweet bao we've ever had.

The staff was helpful and friendly, though upon arrival we had to sit through their pitch for book guided tours and transportation arrangements, even though we wanted to go to our room after a long day. We didn't book anything through them (except for the initial pick up from Hue airport), so I can't speak to the quality of those arrangements (I can tell you that the tour we booked independently through the Stop & Go Cafe was terrible).

I would recommend against the two rooms on the ground floor, next to the reception, if possible. Privacy as you enter and exit is afforded by a panel cleverly placed in front of the door; however, your door is two feet away from the dining / common area in which other travelers are having their breakfast in the morning or skyping with their friends in the evening.

Despite of these small negatives (the gentle pushiness of the staff and the room location), the value of Huenino is so exceptional that I can only give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Don't book the rooms on the ground floor, next to the reception; a bit noisy, less privacy.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a highlight of our 3 week trip to Vietnam. We spent 3 lovely nights in Hue, and with the help and advice of the staff, we enjoyed the best of the city. Our room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. One of the best aspects of a stay here is how the friendly atmosphere encourages guests to sure their experiences and become a little like family for a few days. We were lucky to arrive on Christmas eve when the staff welcomed all guests to a delightful dinner and celebration. The hotel arranged reasonably priced excursions that made the most of our time, and then they welcomed us back at the end of the day with fresh fruit juice. Finally, I'll just have to go back when I run out of the delicious passion fruit jam they serve daily at breakfast (I bought 2 jars to take home).

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple