“For the price, can't really be faulted”

Than Thien Hotel - Friendly Hotel
Ranked #25 of 122 Hotels in Hue
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I hate to be pedantic, but if not for the poor wi-fi, Than Thien would definitely get 5 stars. The rooms were clean, the bed and shower excellent, and while the room was small, for the price it's incredibly reasonable. The breakfast was also one of the best we had while in Vietnam. We were on the 3rd floor so the signal for wifi could definitely have been stronger.

The staff certainly live up to the name of the place - the receptionist helped us chase up some Livitrans tickets by making a couple of calls off her own mobile which was really helpful. There are also plenty of restaurants right around the corner, and markets just over the river. A really nice place, especially for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Than Thien in a deluxe suite for $25 a night including breakfast. In short, extremely clean and spacious rooms with excellent showers. The staff really live up to the name of the hotel, which means 'Friendly'. They were very helpful and courteous, even going so far as to memorize our names. In truth, we had only planned to stay one night and ended up staying three. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to stay in Hue.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel is the place where you have to stay in Hue, it is probably the best value for money I had for an hotel in my entire life ! I hardly paid $10 for a room which has nothing to envy with some 4* hotel room. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was really nice, the shower was powerful, the design was really “chic”.
The buffet breakfast, included in that killing price, was varied, was presented and products were so well cooked and very fresh.
The staff was very welcoming and helpful. You can ride bicycle or book some tour if you want to. The situation of the hotel is very good as well. You can even book a shuttle to go to the airport for 80.000 dong, pick you up at your hotel on time, avoiding you to pay useless 250.000 dong for a cab.
I cannot see how to find a little drawback. I recommend so much this hotel !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
watervietnam, Owner at Than Thien Hotel - Friendly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear pitt1912,

Thank you for staying at the Than Thien Friendly Hotel, Hue, and we very much appreciate your words of praise and would thank you for taking time to share them on TripAdvisor.

It is heartening to learn you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were pleased with our facilities, ambiance and services offered. We are glad you were able to point out different areas of the hotel that you experienced. As you know we try to keep low price for our guest and also take care guest carefully. Guest will get much benefit if they book Deluxe room of my Hotel.

Whilst thanking you for your patronage, we look forward to seeing you to indulge you with more of our Than Thien Friendly Hotel, when you visit us again in the near future. Please write to me at xthuy64@gmail.com. Have a nice trip, good health, happiness.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I will stay here for 10 nights (have been here for 8 already). The staff are all attentive, welcoming & strive to provide good customer service. The staff speak very good english. The rooms are clean & cleaned well each day. There is reliable wifi & working public computer for use. There is good variety on offer at the buffet breakfast! I really appreciate all the little touches - like the hot water thermos provided, when i had a tummy ache & room upgrade later in my stay. This was the 1st hotel in Vietnam to actively request feedback on their service - I was asked often if I was happy with the room & if not to please let them know. The hotel manager was present & regularly engaged with guests! I recommend this hotel & would stay here again. Thank you to all the staff at Than Thien Hotel - Friendly hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I were really happy with this hotel.... We got picked up at the train station by the owner himself (Thuy) just because he so happened to have nothing to do that day! We felt quite special and he was such a nice man - he pointed a few things out about Hue on the way to the hotel. Once we got there, we were greeted very eagerly by his incredibly nice staff. They quickly checked us in and showed us everything about our room - which was VERY nice by the way. We got a deluxe room since it was only 4$ more and it had a window. We highly recommend room 306, very modern, tasteful and the bathroom was very nice too!

My only minor complaint is that we couldn't find a way to turn off or dim the screen on the air-con unit. It was so bright that it lit up the room while we were sleeping. So we found something to stick in front of the screen and then it was fine. So no biggie.

The breakfast is pretty good! Fresh fruit, nice assortment of dumplings and rice, noodles, bacon, bread etc... They also had some cooks taking orders for fresh cooked eggs which they bring to your table.

Honestly, this place is best bang for your buck in all of Hue. The staff is genuinely nice, taking interest in having conversation with you about your day and they offer pretty good recommendations on tours and places to eat. Thank you Than Thien hotel! :)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChristineAlbanese

Dear ChristineAlbanese,

It is heartening to learn you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were pleased with our facilities, ambiance and services offered. We are glad while you say OK with our Upgrade Package, at that time you pay 4$ more and get much benefit to stay in Deluxe Room. As you know some love meeting people so if I have free time I drive to Train/bus station to pick guest up for free. Talk with guests make me happier.

Whilst thanking you for your patronage, we look forward to seeing you to indulge you with more of our Than Thien Friendly Hotel, when you visit us again in the near future. Please write to me at xthuy64@gmail.com. Have a nice trip, good health and happiness.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Friendly hotel lives up to its name - the staff were always smiling and saying hello to you and they all spoke good English. The room was looked new and was well equipped and clean, and the bathroom had a lovely shower! It was great value for the price.

Breakfast was also excellent with a lot of choice and some made to order options.

It is close to many shops and restaurants and about a 20 minute walk to the citadel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kennyb929

Feb 6, 2013,
Dear Kennyb929,

It is heartening to learn you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were pleased with our facilities, ambiance and services offered. As you know, I have thrown myself wholeheartedly into my work, days and nights, to design an online booking system, train the staff, and to find out the explanation for the “customers’ satisfaction”. It’s not very likely that you will be as “satisfied” living in a 5-star hotel room of hundreds of dollars as living at our Thân Thiện Friendly Hotel of just several tens of dollars. Specifically working out the explanation for “Thân Thiện”, which means “Friendly”, together with the staff we have spent years doing research on this, and we have always borne in our mind the meaning “Thân Thiện – Friendly” so as to express our character in the right way throughout our customer service.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hi, my boyfriend and I stayed here for a night and I have to say I was very impressed by the quality of the room. For only $12 for a double room, the interior design was to a high standard. Everything looked new and clean. Great value for money. You will not be disappointed. Staff were friendly too! :) Breakfast area was very nice and the food was good. I would say this hotel is of a Western standard but a South East Asian price :) I have noticed that some reviews stated that the rooms have no windows or no view. Our room had a window looking out onto the corridor but for the price of $12 this did not bother us.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snuggles10_11

Dear Snuggles10_11,

It is heartening to learn you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were pleased with our facilities, ambiance and services offered. As you know, you were very lucky while book room with 12$ and stay in good room. Some time we do that for hot deal, but not often because if room price at 2$ my staff will have very low salary when they work hard and give guests good service.

Whilst thanking you for your patronage, we look forward to seeing you to indulge you with more of our Than Thien Friendly Hotel, when you visit us again in the near future. Please write to me at xthuy64@gmail.com. Have a nice trip, good health.