“Tours, tours, tours”

Bao Minh Hotel
Bao Minh Hotel
Ranked #65 of 130 Hue B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2010

This hotel is good value and has nice rooms for $7, however, they will push tours on you. I caved in and agreed to a city tour with the young guy who worked there. I agreed $8 and went on the back of a motorbike. I thought I'd get a bit of insight into the history of the city but apparently it turned out that $8 only buys you the services of the a motorbike driver and fuel! The first stop was an awkward visit to a village that makes and sells incense where you're hassled to buy stuff whilst the guide...er driver....smokes and drinks tea. The rest of the time I had to put up with him insinuating I should pay him more if I wanted to know any history and when I tested him on one or two things I did know, his knowledge was questionable anyway. When I asked him 'where next?', he'd just say, 'up to you', at which point I'd have to consult my Lonely Planet.
I would recommend staying at this hotel, but not the tours.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank OinkyPig
There are newer reviews for Bao Minh Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night in December 2010. We checked out a few places on the 'backpacker alley', with most places offering very similar quality rooms. This room however, was $1 cheaper than the other guesthouses. The room had all the basic amenities, including cable TV (ESPN, Movies etc) and a minifridge.

We spoke with Hung, the manager of the place and he gave us some ideas about sights and activities. There was never any real pressure and we ended up doing a motorbike tour with him and his brother, which was nice enough and best of all, we did it at our own pace! Their driving was safe and the price of the tour was reasonable.

Overall, a very good place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed one night in this hotel and would definitely stay again. I guess pretty much every hotel on the same street offers similar rooms but i doubt anyone can beat Bao Minh motorcycle tour around the town.
Accommodation is basic with nice beds and bath, wireless internet and cable TV, and only for $10 per night.
I asked to arrange a tour around Hue and my driver was very accommodating by taking me off beaten path for a 12 (!!!) hours ride. And then they helped me to arrange a car with a driver to go to Hoi An for $90 (with a stop at My Son and 5 other places) which was fantastic.
The hotel is also very conveniently located next to the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I am not a fussy person & i had stayed in alot of lousy hotels / Guesthouses

but I seriously would not recommend this Guesthouse to anyone though the rates are low;

This Guesthouse is sister company with Thanh Thuy Guesthouse so if TT is full,
you will be transfer over to Bao Minh, which is just side by side;

June 2010;
I got x2 rooms on 4th floor, both room's air con were not working
nor even producing any cold air;

When ask for rooms change, this fellow name Mr HUNG (Brother of the boss) kept insisting us to wait for the room to be cooled,

after waiting for 5hours, the rooms are still hot / warm like oven
yet he can say its COLD & giving us that cold freezing look on his face!

He just refuse to change our rooms & insisted the hotel was full
which in fact was not!

He is more interested in selling you his bike tours in HUE;

You feel like you're living in an toaster box especially in a hot place like HUE which is already so warm, you are suffering when you're suppose to be on holiday;

There are better choice hotels in this area though you might have to pay $2/$3 more;

Stay away from BaoMinh Hotel & Thanh Thuy Guesthouse;

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2010

The Guesthouse may lack a little character compared to some of the other guesthouses in the area but this is well and truely made up for in the service provided. We felt really at home here! The rooms were really large and there was even a bath tub! (fantastic after a month on the road!)
We hit it off with the staff and was taken on a personalised and reasonably priced tour of the city. It was a great day and best of all there was no hidden agenda (no being taken to coffee houses or souvineer shops and being pressured to buy) just a great day out soaking up the sights! Very safe drivers! If i was in Hue again, I would stay here!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Bao Minh - $10US a night. We found the location to be very good being only a few minutes walk from the main restaurant area and the Perfume River. The central market, on the opposite side of the river, was also an easy 15-20 minute stroll away. Being down an alley off the main also meant there was no traffic noise.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and although there were no lifts in the building we did not find climbing the stairs to be a great hassle...if anything it probably did us good. The room itself was not big but was ok having a wardrobe (only 2 coat hangers) fridge and TV as well as FREE WIFI and a small balcony overlooking the pool in an adjacent guesthouse. The bathroom had a shower over a bathtub and nice hot water. A bracket to hold the shower head would have been useful.

Breakfast was available at the hotel eg. 2 baguettes, 2 fried eggs, tea, coffee, butter and jam - 37,000 dong. However, reasonably priced breakfasts could also be purchased from restaurants nearby.

Hung ( pronounced Hoong) the hotel supervisor was very friendly and spoke very good English. We did a day tour with him and his friend on motor cycles for $12US ( excluding lunch) visiting a number of tombs, a monastery, incence and conical hat manufacturers and a hill overlooking a beautiful part of the Perfume river. Would recommend it.

Also a visit to the embroidery gallery over the road at the end of the laneway is a must see!! The work is unbelievable and you can actually see work in progress.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2010

The only annoying thing about this hotel was the pick up, which is usually a nice perk, but on this occasion we were told before getting in the taxi that he put us in that it would cost around 40,000dong. The meter only ran up 14000 dong on the journey but they insisted on 40000 when we arrived at the hotel.

This is not a scam hotel though. It is situated down the backpacker alley near all the other ones mentioned in the guidebooks. It is clean with some tables in the lobby for breakfast and two computers with decent free internet connections but which are otherwise all in Japanese, a bit difficult if you don't speak Japanese!

The room, 16$, was standard fare for these places: hot water shower, cable TV, a/c which worked, and plenty of space. No balcony. It was clean with no roaches or other visitors! The receptionist was quick to get in and offer us one of the many tours run in Hue. We opted for the mixed citadel/perfume riverboat tour as time was against us and it was a well run tour with a solid local guide which brought us to all the big sights.

All in all, this place is a solid competitor with the other guesthouses in the area, some of which are more expensive but offer little more. It lacks any real charm or charisma but the staff are warm and helpful and very much working hard to make a name for their hotel, which always works in favour of the guest!

Try and get a room on one of the lower floors as the stairs climb is a killer!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple