“Gerbera..mixed review”

Ranked #38 of 122 Hotels in Hue
Auckland
“Gerbera..mixed review”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I spent 2 nights here in the Deluxe Cityview room.
The room was clean, modern and spacious with a good view of the city and a peak of the river. Being on the 8th floor it was quiet not that Hue was that noisy anyway.
The bed was comfortable and there was an electric kettle, tea and coffee. Air conditioning helped to keep cool.
Gerbera is also well placed close to restaurants and river and shops.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing finding it under par with other Hotels we have used. There was quite a selection with cold meats, fruits, cereals, pastries, salads, some Asian foods and juices but lacked in the hot continental breakfast. This amounted to bacon of reasonable quality, baked beans, and cubed sausage. Another person may find what they have on offer is more than enough, I would rather had less choice for a poached or scrabbled egg and/or omelete. The first morning the coffee was terrible, the next bearable.
Dinner was not much better with lack lustre food and the service was just not there even though we were the only ones dining in. My stir fry prawns were veges and unpeeled tails which I spent my dinner peeling which by the time I had got through half my meal my fingers were covered in stir fry sauce and I had lost any enthusiasm eating only for nutritional value. My drink stayed empty throughout the meal.
The next day I tried to break a $100US note for smaller denominations to buy goods which a young man at reception did. Thankfully when I returned to the vendor down the road it was made apparent to me that most the notes I was given were either damaged or marked and would not be valid to use. Very poor.
Due to my experience here I would not rate this hotel as a 4 or 5 star and as such have given it a 3 star rating.
It would really benefit from an experienced hospitality workers leading some of the less experienced. Though enthusiastic it needs some direction.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TikiGeorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The view from our room was amazing overlooking the Perfume River. It was far too hot in Hue for me, but the room air con worked perfectly for us! Interesting that there was a glass partition between the bedroom and the bathroom but luckily there was a pull down blind in the shower. I don't think my daughter would have liked the sight of me in the shower. Unfortunately the bath was very high to step into and to have a shower I thought it was quite dangerous. We walked one tiny block to the DMZ bar and had a great dinner and kept walking around the block and had a haircut for $5AUD. We would have loved to have a go in the pool but we were too busy, but as there was no cover, we could have got badly burnt, being 37 degrees when we were there 2 weeks ago.

Room Tip: Room with a view!
1 Thank iRubber
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a former Mercure that was built very recently, so the rooms are done up to the modern Mercure standard. Nice bright room with modern furnishings and funky bath with rain shower and normal shower, very comfortable beds and balconies overlooking the city and river. The staff are really genuinely friendly and helpful.

The pool was clean and refreshing and I had it to myself 2 of the 3 times I visited. The Sky Bar on the top floor is perfect for a few drinks to watch the city at night.

The hotel offers excellent value for money, but I think standards have slipped ever so slightly since it is no longer an Accor hotel, that said I'd definitely stay here again and say it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in for comfort in Vietnam.

Room Tip: Get a high up room for the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AaronB101
South Yorkshire
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Gerbera for two nights. It is. Entrally placed very close to the Perfume River. The rooms are of a decent size and the beds are very comfortable.
The pool was a welcome addition after a day not touring and the pool attendant very efficient in replacing wet towels.
Breakfast had an extensive choice and the staff very helpful. Checking in and out was efficient and courteous.

Room Tip: Can not remember the name but go out of the hotel turn right and in about 50 yards there is a bar wh...
1 Thank cathrat
vancouver
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Gerbera but were particularly pleased with its location. It is situated just half a block from Perfume river and the local boats that cruise to the Thien Mu Pagoda. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms spacious. We requested an iron and ironing board but were told they weren't offered at the hotel and we would have to use the hotel laundry. I can't remember what they charged us for the ironing but do remember thinking it was a bit much by Vietnamese standards. The Skybar on the top floor offers a fantastic view and during happy hour local bottled beers are only $1.00/20,000 Dong each. Breakfasts were good, offering both Vietnamese and Western food. Staff were exceeding friendly and helpful. The Gerbera was a good stop!

1 Thank VancouverGinger
stonemob
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel has wonderful views over the perfume river from the bar on the top floor. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was good, but a little pricey. Buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stonemob
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough goof things about this place so let's start at the beginning :)
LOCATION - Perfect ! Just round the corner from DMZ Bar and the lively part of town. Far enough away to not be able to hear anything but only a 2min walk to restaurants and bars.
ROOM - We had a twin room and at £20 each for the night it is the most expensive hotel we've stayed in but well worth it.
STAFF - FANTASTIC ! They couldn't help us any more than they did whilst not being too over the top. After a bad experience in Hanoi (scammed and taken to the wrong hotel) we were a little wary but we booked our tour of the DMZ through the hotel (£10) and they even provided us with a 'packed breakfast' as we missed breakfast at the hotel. We had a minor issue with our sleeper train ticket not materialising from a Travel Agent across the road (fully booked) but no fear, within 10mins the hotel had sorted us flights down to Ho Chi Minh at a fraction of the cost that the Internet quotes ! Women on reception spoke great English, had a decent bit of banter and even let us stay in our room on the last day till 2pm :)
INTERNET - Routers on each floor, perfect reception everywhere.
FACILITIES - And this is the winner !! Pool, Gym and stumbled across the SkyBar on the first night !! 11storeys up and easily the best views of the city and surrounding countryside, AMAZING sunset :) Free towels and bathing robe to use around the pool. Lots of free goodies in the rooms.
The only downside I can think of is that the laundry service was a little pricey (?!?!)
Would I come back here, hell yes :) !!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends