“A paradise in Hue”

Ranked #20 of 122 Hotels in Hue
Hoian
“A paradise in Hue”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Located in the heart of beautiful Hue city, Romance hotel is truly a wonderful place to stay.
We checked in very late around mid-night but the Front Office team there still gave a warm & friendly welcome. The most surprise was that our room was set up lovely & romantic for our honeymoon stay.
We got up early to come to the Romance restaurant on the 11th floor in the morning & breakfast there was more than our expectation. A buffet was set up & decorated luxuriously & professionally with the selection of more than 30 dishes. After enjoying the breakfast, the staff at Front Desk arranged the tour for us to visit Citadel, Thien Mu pagoda, Dong Ba market, Nam Giao esplanade, Tu Duc & Khai Dinh tomb. The weather there was a little bit cold to the local but ideal for us. When we came back the hotel after a long day travelling, the staff recommended us to enjoy spa treatment with 30% discount, we also came to try & DID DID enjoy foot massage & aromatherapy. When we came back after walking around some streets nearby, we came back & they already made the turn-down to help us sleep well.
How pity was that we had no time more to come to enjoy royal music at the restaurant as introduced.
We had to leave the hotel for the early trip to Hoian. The team helped us to enjoy the trip so much, especially in our honeymoon.
We will come back to Romance next year on our wedding anniversary and will highly recommend our friends to come there as no choice is better than this.

Room Tip: High floor is better to see the city
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynda C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The Romance Hotel in Hue was a frustrating experience for me at a time when I really needed a good hotel. I was not feeling well and wanted to stay in bed and recover before continuing my travels but I had some business to deal with at home and needed to use the Internet. It didn’t work… Apparently the Wi-Fi signal on some floors in the hotel is not good and since I indicated I was a tourist and not on business I got one of those rooms. The management repeatedly wanted to send people to my room – nothing could be done with my laptop, it was simply a weak Wi-Fi signal. After a person (did not speak English) came into my small room and sat there fiddling with my computer for longer than necessary - with of course no result - I asked them to leave. I would be in the middle of an e-mail or banking transfer and get disconnected from the Internet – very frustrating. On the third day FINALLY The Wi-Fi signal seemed to be strong enough to allow a good connection.

I needed to order food from my room because I was too sick to go out but there was no breakfast menu. The person I called in room service did not speak English so after about 10 (only a slight exaggeration) calls back and forth I just told them to bring coffee and toast. The hair dryer was placed out of sight in a drawer in the bottom of the closet and when I called about that they (of course) sent someone else to my room to retrieve it. The bathtub had two shower heads but I could not see how to get water into the tub itself. When I tried filling the tub with the showerhead it sprayed all over the bathroom and into my face. I called about that and of course they sent a couple more people up to my room to check it out… Their solution was to move me to another room with a working bathtub and stronger Wi-Fi signal but I was just too sick and exhausted to pack up and move again and told them so.

Housekeeping was beside themselves not being able to get into my room but I had placed the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. They put notes through the door asking if everything was OK.

That night just as I was about to fall asleep the manager called and asked if they could deliver breakfast to my room the next morning because I was too sick to go out. I said yes and gave him a time and what I wanted to eat. Somehow the breakfast delivered to my room was completely different than what I discussed with the manger?

Then I tried a massage in the spa and honestly although the masseuse was very sweet, I was not sure if she had ever given a massage before… I could go on but think you get the picture. As with many hotels in Vietnam and Cambodia I’ve found that if you are on holiday and have no needs at all except sleeping you are fine. On the other hand if you have any problems or issues with anything, many of the hotels cannot deal with it – there are a few notable exceptions.

I must say that two of the employees at the Romance Hotel were very helpful and went out of their way to be of assistance. Ms. Chung at the front desk helped me find and an ATM and actually walked me there and later exchanged some of the larger bills and made sure all the money was there. Without the help of Mr. Linh who rode with me to the train station and helped me find my seat and move two large pieces of luggage I would have been lost and could never have got settled on the train.

Guess I’m getting grouchy in my old age but I’ve been traveling for 7 great months and it could be time to go home! Maybe if (as part of their training) some of the staff at Romance Hotel could be transported to a foreign country where no one speaks their language very well, they know no one and have no idea how to get around and then become sick they can relate to how I felt in their hotel - with people constantly and needlessly coming in and out of my room and not really helping or understanding my needs as a guest.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 2016msm
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Romance has nice enough rooms and chirpy friendly desk staff. This is nothing special in this price range in Hue though.

I must say though of hotels in this class the breakfast is exceedingly bad. Concentrated papaya juice ? No orange juice? Instant coffee in viet nam? For real? We requested Vietnamese i.e. fresh coffee... Were asked to pay? C'mon seriously?

Anyhow its a fair point in terms of comparison given I stayed at two other similar priced places in Hue this year already. Both did proper drip coffee..

Dollar for dollar though the rainshower here is a step up from the other two places in terms of water pressure...

• Stayed January 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Romance hotel has a lot of modern amenities and nice clean rooms. My room surprisingly had a large jacuzzi with bath salts, very welcome on our week long trip through Vietnam.

The hotel is walking distance from a number of popular restaurants and bars and good shopping. The staff is courteous and breakfast was more than adequate.

Room Tip: Try getting a room with a jacuzzi -not all rooms have them.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hvnair
melbourne
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Pros: Xmas eve gala was amazing, Spa service is good, Staff were good, Rooms were clean and modern

Cons: Staff appear to expect tips for everything, fitness center advertised but none there

Stayed there for 2 nights over xmas. The staff were great with helping us organsise a private car to Hoi An and a day tour around Hue. The tour was done through Dmz Tours and was excellent. The tour guide was very memorable.

There was an xmas eve gala/banquet held at the hotel that was free to attend. The acts they had were quite good and the magician was awesome.

The double bed was massive and the rooms and bathroom were clean and modern.

They say there is a fitness center/gym along with the spa but when we were there, we were told it was still under construction which was a shame. The staff always linger for a tip. Im not sure if this is customary in Vietnam but we didnt find that people expected tips in Hanoi.

There are some good bars just around the corner.

Overall a good hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colin R
Melbourne
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I organized a private car through the hotel to collect our group of 6 from the airport, once arrived a sweet young lady called Mai collected our clan and took us to the Romance. Once we arrived, the very helpful bellboys took care of the luggages. In the meanwhile, Mai sat us down at the very comfy lobby sofas to check us in and a hot cup of tea was served to greet us. We all felt instantly welcomed, there were free Internet access, about 4-5 computers available in the main lobby and free wifi. The hotel itself provide a good range of amenities and services. Spa including sauna, massage, mani/pedi, for about $8-$10 u get a well worth body massage for an hour. I visited with the rest of the clan every night for a different treatment. There is a pool on the 11th floor, this floor is also shared with the buffet breakfast. Breakfast buffet was average, u have the eggs, pho or bun Bo hue, fresh fruits.. If you skip breakfast you won't be missing out on much. But.... Awesome beer garden!! The staff are gorgeous in the hotel! So helpful, they will literally do anything to make your stay memorable. It's very clean and new, I think only 2 years old, we spoke to a lot of the staff and their English was great. People in Hue are sincere, really enjoyed our stay at the Romance. Will be back ;)

Room Tip: Make sure the frosting on bathroom window are higher than your breast to save you from too much expo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kimboz
Melbourne
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We had been booked in to the Ideal hotel for 2 nights which is in the same area, The Ideal hotel was so bad that we transfered our second night here at the Romance hotel.

For around the same price there was no comparison in standard, The Romance was fanastic.With 4.5 star.
The rooms are large and well kept, service was given by the friendly staff. This looks to be one of the newer hotels in Hue

The restaurant is on the top floor with very nice views of Hue. There is an outside eating area attached. Breakfast, just wonderfull.

The small swimming pool is also on this floor. When you get of the elevator at this floor, To the right is the restaurant and to the left is the pool, There is only a glass wall and door dividing the pool. Unless you have a body like mine this cauld be off putting to some people.

I still think this hotel is a good one and would stay here again any day.

Many restaurants are in the near by streets with lots of shopping.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view, We where on the 5 floor .
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple