“Pleasant staff”

Hong Thien Backpackers Hotel
Ranked #22 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Hue
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed the first night at hong Thien Hotel 1 but then had to move as 1 was booked up. I moved over to 2 and immediately missed the elevator. For the difference in price, I would definitely book 2 as much nicer. The room I had was basic but well served its purpose. As I find everywhere, the cleaning staff was the most friendly of all.

Room Tip: Make your shower quick as the hot water does run out a bit quickly.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Three weeks ago the owner of this hotel promised to correct the following IT problem if I removed my negative review, and he has not done it yet, so I presume he is still enjoying the benefit of customers who fall for the bait-and-switch. I explained carefully to the manager what she needs to do with the website, and she promised she would explain it to the owner and their IT guy.
Here's the problem: When you google hotels and click on the website for the Hong Thien 2 on the google map, you are taken to the website Hong Thien 1 hotel half a block away but hidden in a quiet cul-de-sac. Most people don't even catch on that there are two hotels so close to each other, owned by the same family. Hotel 1 is much better than Hotel 2, for only a few dollars more. We booked by phone from another city, looking at the photos for Hong Thien 1, but instead we were taken to Hong Thien 2 when we arrived. We noticed right away that the hotel didn't match the photos we'd seen. We paid full price for a standard double instead of the deal we'd read online that they offered through Agoda; we had street noise, no elevator, no pool, and the restaurant was not nearly as nice as the one in the photos, it was just a table in the lobby near the front door. The bathroom was ridiculously cramped, to the point of being unsafe showering in a slippery half-size tub with a strange step-up in it, for an older western male; the bathrooms in HT 1 are large and modern (we asked to see the rooms there on our second day, when we'd figured out what had happened to us). Other than that, our room was okay except for the street noise, the staff were extremely pleasant in both hotels, and a modest breakfast was included. However, we paid almost as much as the online deal offered for HT 1, and we felt tricked and disappointed. When I am back in Hue, I might choose HT 1, but probably another hotel altogether. What they should really do is change the name of one of the hotels into something completely different than the other.

Room Tip: I always take the cheaper rooms at the back if I am on a busy street, to avoid the constant honking...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dgilx
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel is basic with a central location in the tourist area of Hue. It could do with better lighting in the bathroom and the shower in our room was set up with a small tub and was tricky to use. Hot water was ample and while our room (101) was pretty loud due to traffic, the corner porch was nice.

For $15 including breakfast, I believe it was great value. What made it even better was the manager who was very kind and even brought breakfast to our room when we laid low after a night of dancing at the Brown Eye.

Sadly, the reason I remember the room number is because I discovered the key to room in my pocket when we got to Hoi An. I asked our hotel here how we could mail it back but they said not to bother. I still have it and if the manager is reading this, I apologize. Please let me know how to return it to you.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed in Huè for one night but our stay at the Hong Thien II was very nice! Simple but good rooms good price and very friendly staff! Also a very good location close to many restaurants.
It's just a great place to stay :)

We paid 8 dollar for room no. 100

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Very cheap accommodation, rooms were decent size and clean, fridge, balcony, satellite TV and breakfast included too. Good location but the real gem is the landlady, sorry can't remember her name, she couldn't have been more welcoming, accommodating or helpful. We booked a good tour and train tickets with her everything was taken care of with no hassle, the tour was exactly what the itinerary stated and the train was a lot cheaper than online. When we checked out were able to store our luggage free of charge while we were on tour and as it rained on us heavily she gave us use of her shower and hot tea when we returned . While we were waiting for the taxi to take us to the station a street vendor came past and as her family were having something she also got us some traditional soup and shrimp wrap things, she wouldn't take payment for them as she"invited us to try" , she is genuinely looking to make your stay a great one, also tried to give us bananas for the trip:) lovely lady!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Amy D
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We had 2 nights in this very nice hotel. The owner gave us some good tips of very good local restaurants. It's nearby the city center and has good information like tours and bustickets. If tje dun shines, you even could use the swimmingpool in Hong Thien 1.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Colin L
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of nights while passing through Hue. The room was quite small but all I really needed, and it was very cheap. The lady at the front desk (Hong / Song) was really nice and helpful with sightseeing and restaurant advice, and the location was within walking distance of the old imperial area and some good bars (by Hue standards, it's not really a party town, but also a lot safer when out drinking than other parts of Vietnam). I'd stay again :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends