“A good and decent stay in Hue”

Phuong Hoang - Phoenix Hotel
Ranked #82 of 121 Hotels in Hue
New York, New York, United States
“A good and decent stay in Hue”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was a decent budget hotel -- clean, gecko free, comfortable enough beds and located in center city Hue. What I appreciate was the friendly and helpful staff...no task too mundane for them to do ( i.e. deliver a plastic straw to my room 4 flights up). This is a nice place to stay while in Hue. You will find warm and sweet people at this hotel and throughout the town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was a pretty good stay. We arrived with friends with the bus and were dropped off in front of the backpackers hostel in Hue. Although we had a great experience with the same backpackers hostel in Hanoi we wanted to sleep somewhere else.

A guy approached us on a motorcycle and said he had the best hotel and another one, en three more. We picked out two of the nicest guys and me and my friend went separately from each other to the two hostels. We made a deal with the two guys that we would first check the hostels, and then decide. It was fine by the guys. When we came back we decided for this Hostel. There was virtually no one there and we could pick any room we'd like. So we did. The price was stunning, cheaper than the Backpackers Hostel, and service was also good.

We asked the hotel owner if there was breakfast, and he said: yes yes breakfast. So we asked: included? Answer: yes yes... The next morning we discovered that breakfast wasn't included, so we were agitated and threatened to go somewhere else, but as nice as the people were: they gave us breakfast for the rest of our stay.

From Hue we rented some motorcycles to d-tour the country. We could leave our bags in the hostel for how long we needed, so we packed our small bags and left the rest at the hostel. When we returned after 8 days, and our bags were perfectly intact.

In sum: Just great!

Room Tip: Choose one with a balcony and a minibar, it's really worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mexico
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I been there for 3 night and for the money that I spend and for the service I was very very happy!
Clean room good breakfast !
Located in the backpacker area , 30 minute by walking to the citadelle.
I have a really good time and I would like to come back.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Govanni B
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had been taken to this hotel from train station by a driver (with cheap price, 20.000 vnd for about 3-4 km) and the receptionist woman had told me the room rate is cheap price but when she knew the driver take me to their hotel, she charged me a additional cost and explained that is for the driver's effort. But that is not the worst thing, after i wondering about this problem she asked me as I want to get a cheap price I need follow the driver to tell him that" I would like to go to another hotel instead of Phuong Hoang" while he leaved there for 20 minutes at least. That is terrible. She has a nice voice as I knew before by reading paper, books...but her thought is.....
So, to square comparison, that hotel is clean, quite, friendly but not very good and just be normal. The price is not including BF. They arranged a day tour with small group (10-14 people), 1 tour guide ( good man), including a fast lunch on the boat but they didnt advise us all of famous destination as I knew.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Please note that the hotel looks nothing like the professional photos provided on this website, however it is still a perfectly good little hotel!

I stayed here with my other half as we travelled down Vietnam for a month. This was a very cheap option on hostel bookers/hostel world (can't remember which specifically) at about GBP £3 to £4 per person per night. It is a budget hotel but is very clean and decorated simply with all the necessities such as air con and a tv, even a mini fridge. The bed is decent too. We did have some ants in our room but as long as we left them alone they left us alone too.

Breakfast is included and is very simple, either a pancake or bread and jam with coffee or tea.

Location is a little out of town, about a 10 minute walk and you could easily get a taxi to the citadel if you wanted to. There is also a big supermarket across the river.

Staff are very nice and looked out for us. We booked two tours with them and would recommend the DMZ tour, however DON'T go for the Hué city tour. You have to pay to get in at every site and the tour guides don't even act as guides! They simply take your money and let you wander off. The best way is to hire a bike/moped and go and see these sites yourself. After we told the staff at the hotel that the tour was bad they apologised profusely and told us that they would try and take up this tour with another company (whether they have or not I don't know but in my opinion I would not go on this tour with ANY company!)

All in all our stay was very nice but be wary of the people...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

On arrival to the Phoenix our double room wasnt ready so they wanted us to go into a twin or more so said we were in a twin. obviously we declined and they put us in a triple room. 1 double and a single. The room was ok the bathroom was all cheap plastic and was pretty dirty toilet seat was rotting away and the watet heater was right above the shower head and was dripping on to the pipes causing a lot of rust, quite unpleasant and the water was cold (we are getting used to that now). The room had TV, A/C and a fridge.
The weather for the couple of days we stayed was pretty horrendous as it was a big storm. The lady on reception refused to believe it though and told us that its worse everywhere else which it really didnt seem that way!
The location was ok but down an alley way off of the main road.
We left to get the bus to Nha Trang and the lady at reception also gave me some bananas for the journey and it wasnt until we realised after feeling bites half way to Nha Trang that we realised they were invested with ants and all mouldy which the lady must have seen when she gave them to me! All in all we probably wouldnt stay here again but each to their own.

Now to Hue itself...
If you are ok at being stared at and laughed at then you will be fine here.
I was incredibly ill here, not with food poisoning but with some kind of fever, passing out and not being with it and after feeling bad for a few days my partner decided it was time to take me to hospital. it was a complete waste of time. People were staring and laughing seeing i was in pain and in tears doing nothing to help, we were turned away pretty much at every door. No one wanted to help me or help Luke find someone to help me.
The next day we went to a pharmacy and had to prize the lady from her tv under the counter to help us. I asked for a pen and paper to which she replied she didnt have then produced it when we wanted to pay.
Next on to the Cyclos we went to the citadel and as i wasnt 100% instead of walking we decided on 2 cyclos asking how much he wasnt very clear and said something that we though was 100,000 vnd and hour we said ok to the hour and went on our way they two incredibly lovely men telling us about the war and that they were just 15 etc. We thought the trip had gone on for more then an hour as we didnt have watches we asked to stop and were charged 3million Dong... They went on for longer then an hour even though we asked to stop after an hour. Onr man got incredibly aggressive. We didnt even have 3 million so we gave 2 million and walked away. Looking back that he wasnt coming after us.

Anyway. I truly disliked Hue. My partner said that it was unlucky that it was us and anyone could have been ill and had our bad luck and that it could have happened anywhere. But i wont ever go back there again even if we get chance to go back id turn it down in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2012
south Wales
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had a great stay at the Phoenix hotel. Receptionist/ manager was amazingly friendly and helpfull and full of charector. She would do anything to help and went out of her way to enhance our stay. after a long day tour moments after returning to our room we had a knock at the door. The Lady had brought us some tea. How amazing is that. She also gave us some fruit when we left.

Really nice.

Rooms are spacious and we had a balcomy. Aircon, 100% wifi and everything was fine.

SO the hotel did great.

There is a fantstic restaurant in the next street over called Confetti. Try it!!

Note on Hue
Bearing in mind I have been travelling for 9 months straight and pretty much come across all the blaggers.
The people of Hue are generally dishonest. From the moment we arrived untill the moment we left we were being haggled from the price of a taxi to the price of a Mars bar.
When you get off the train, taxi drivers will tell you that the phoenix is a dump, full of cockroaches and mozzies and falling apart. So they are basically hurting the business that are bringing in the toursists. That same %&(# of a liar will then ask you for a 100k vnd when his meter is reading 55k vnd.
Cigarettes are 25k vnd everywhere in vietnam but here they will try and charge you upto 75kvnd in some stores because they think you are idiots.

Be wary of tours they too take the pis. We went on a day trip that stated the price for the boat, lunch included, and a list list of all the destinations. 1 place was 80k vnd to enter
25% of the sites are missed due to lack of time, every place is 80k vnd to enter and the best prt is that when you get on the boat your presented with a menu to choose your lunch that is charged for. when you tell them it is included all of a sudden they cannot understand you and just start tapping the menu. and take your money so that you can eat lunch. when lunch is served they bring you what you ordered then bring out the free lunch. They are a rotten bunch of losers and I had no problem telling them so.

The final insult to my intelligence was when I went to buy a painting from an art/cafe. It was a very nice piece. I was going to take it when they told me that the price stated was for the frame only and the picture was double that price alone. I pointed out to them that the exact same frame next to it was at a different price in that case, at which point they agreed to charge me the price on the picture. I told them to stick it.

In the end I don't want anything to remind me of Hue as it will taint my view on the rest of Vietnam

Room Tip: There are different grades of room we went for superior, and it was nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple