“Nice and friendly hotel”
Review of Amigo Hotel

Amigo Hotel
Ranked #38 of 122 Hotels in Hue
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Stayed 3 nights with my friend and felt at home. Beautiful staff and old friend-like hotel owner makes me want to stay for more. Every trip you need could book here. Rooms are clean and well equiped. They just remodeled for about 6 months ago. Can't think any negative side for this nice hotel. Very convenient location to most of the attraction spots in Hue. Located in the quiet alley like a hidden gem.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank cucucu

Reviewed June 4, 2009

This is a great little place, and despite its few flaws, is highly recommended. I stayed in numerous hotels during my month in Vietnam ranging from $15 to $275 a night, and can't say one was more hospitable.

I was supposed to take the train from Da Nang to Hue, but it didn't run that day. I ultimately took a private bus for a few dollars and was picked up for free (including the taxi to the hotel), by one of the hotel's staff. They apologized for recommending I take that train as they were unaware it stopped running at that time recently.

The rooms are not especially luxurious, but have everything you need: Air conditioning, TV (which had the Laker games on!), large bathroom with tub-separated shower and small balcony. I think I paid around $18/night.

The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and nice. I ate breakfast there one day, and everyday after (regardless of when I woke up), was asked to eat again. I think they felt bad or disappointed when I declined...I just wan't hungry or wanted to eat elsewhere. The internet doesn't work in the rooms (a fact that there are now aware of and plan to fix), but I brought my tiny computer down to use one night and was immediately given tea to drink. I booked the room for 3 nights, but a booking error made them believe I would stay for four. They staff was worried that they had done something wrong and I wanted to leave, which could be further from the truth. This was all completely sincere and therefore much appreciated.

The laundry service was cheap and fast.

Aside from the lack of internet, there is also no elevator. I was on the third floor, so it wasn't bad. This are the only two flaws I remember.

I highly recommend this hotel, it is moderately priced (I met others who were paying a few dollars a night) with better than expected appointments. The service is incredibly sincere and helpful. I am surprised this place isn't ranked more highly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Narayana
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The hotel is fairly new. All the facilities (hot water, TV, internet ...) worked. Number of available room is limited to about 12 doubles (I think). There is no lift so you should be prepared to climb the stairs (up to four storeys). Suitable for quiet, unassuming travellers. The hotel appears to have regular business guests. The staff are very friendly and anxious to please. The cook is very good if you like Vietnamese food particularly Hue style.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Well , like the majority said, I found this hotel very new, clean, great location with very warm welcoming host and staff.

There's only one minor complaint that there is a bad smell in the pillowcase and bedsheets. The reason could be because of the weather in Hue at this time of the year is extremely humid which cause clothes/fabric to have an unpleasant smell. I guess the owner could have pay more attention to this issue by having them treated more carefully. There's also a bad drainage smell in my room's bathroom. This is quite a common problem for multi-storey houses in VN even if they are newly built.

Anyway, besides this smelling issue, the hotel is a cute, cheap little place with great service.

Restaurant: We had lunch here but found it quite average. There are many cheap eateries out there where you can taste authentic local food, depends you know where to find them.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We had stayed at Amigo Hotel during Hue trip. The location is about 10 minutes from the river bank, restaurants and bars of Western style.
The room is very clean and the staff is very friendly. Rate is also very reasonable.
We highly recommend this place to those who are looking for a comfortable place to stay without paying a lot.
Anh&Lien San Jose, USA.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2009

A delightful family owned relatively new fourteen room hotel, where the owners and staff are courteous and friendly; the cook serves up the most delicious Hue style vegetarian meals. The rooms in the hotel are clean with basic amenities…TV, bar refrigerator, air conditioning, telephone with free WI-FI internet access at the reception….ideal for those on a low cost travel budget. The hotel is ideally located in central Hue, providing easy access to local traders’ shops, restaurants, and the numerous tourist sites such as the Buddhist Temples, Citadel and Chinese tombs accessed by boat cruise down the Huong River (Perfume River). If you enjoy the hustle and bustle of asian markets and the fun of being hassled by store holders then a visit to the Dong BA Market is a must do. Affordable and highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

First the positive aspects: The amigo hotel is still better than the big one where the bus from DaNang to Hué stops and where everyone wants to get you inside pretending all other hotels are booked out, far away or dirty :-P Simply ignore it and a taxi is not far to any other hotel.
The location of the amigo in a small quiet alley next to other hotels (e.g. "phoenix"), a travel shop, a small supermarket and next to a road with several ATMs, bars and also the river is pretty good. The rooms are normal, but also not big for around 20USD... the bathroom has a shower and bath tube, the bed was ok. Overall the rooms were ok and clean (besides one big bug running around in the wardrobe :-S ), but for 20USD I have seen much nicer furniture in VN hotels before !
The WiFi didn't work inside the room (others reviewers also write the WiFi doesn't cover the entire building). At least reception gave me an Ethernet-cable for the room which even worked.
Like mentionned before, the staff is very pushy concerning selling tours and hotels, where they get best commission. They never talked to my VNese friend, only wanted to persuade the Westener in a very pushy way. The dragon boat tour is sold everywhere at the riverside and a travel shop with overall reasonable prices is just next door. So avoid their proposals cos of the price, what previous reviewers write about quality and (for me most important) cos I hate that pushy style so much... I mean I can ask myself and "no means no", right ?
I read the previous review with the stolen money on a room at amigo, so I was a bit alerted and kept nothing of value in my room (which is advisable for every hotel of course). Anyhow I was a bit frightened that the door was not locked when I came back... the room service might have forgotten this... ? or someone else has had a look? Anyhow nothing missing, I got a bit scared about the hotel at that evening.. having the robbery story in mind ! :-O
The breakfast was the worst I had so far in VN: the fruit plate was horrible tasteless bad fruits, the noodles were tasting precisely like paper.. the coffee was cheap instant coffee instead of the described "VNese coffee". And when I asked at the begin for the price of the breakfast, they said "25.000 for each person"... later they showed me different prices on the menu card and wanted me to pay 160.000VND. For this price you can get a real tasteful lunch including drinks in Hué's smaller restaurants and for half of it a good breakfast... means: the breakfast at amigo is a pure rip-off. With awful taste !

If you find no other vacant hotel than this one, if you don't mind pushy staff and if you wanted to avoid the breakfast there anyhow, then you can take the amigo for one night.
But otherwise I would recommend you to go somewhere else... sorry.

This one gets the award for worst hotel... of my 8 different hotels on my Vietnam trip April2009.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends