“Great Service”

Tropical Garden Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 375 Restaurants in Hue
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Typical Vietnamese food with great service. Live music at night. Vietnamese tea for only 15000 dong (.075 USD).

Reviewed January 19, 2014

It was a nice place for dinner. They have live music in the evenings but it is slightly more expensive than the other restaurants on the same road.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I went there based on the Lonely Planet recommendation. . . Funny that they failed to mention that the Tropical Garden caters mostly to large groups going there straight from the tour buses. :/

Don't get me wrong: The food is tasty, the prices okay, and the service efficient. What I didn't expect or wanted was to share this dining experience with about 80 people. The restaurant looks peaceful from the outside, but it was a cool night with rain in the forecast so I elected to eat inside. And when I stepped in, that's when I realized that this wouldn't be the kind of evening I expected.

Contrary to what I anticipated, what with the presence of no less than 3 huge groups, the service remained quick and professional, and it didn't take forever for my food to arrive. I went for the pork in a clay pot, with steamed rice, a Festival beer, and ice cream for dessert, all for about 8$. So even if the Tropical Garden is as touristy as it gets, the price of a meal remains quite affordable. Moreover, the food was quite good.

There is a Vietnamese folk band playing until around 9:00pm. At first, they were playing some traditional folk music, which created a nice atmosphere. But when they launched into contemporary Western stuff, I knew it was time to go.

In order to avoid the groups, you might want to check it out for lunch, or at least get there early. Otherwise, you'll be sharing your meal with a vast crowd. . .

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Only ate here once but on that occasion, the service was excellent, the food was delicious and I ate the best shrimps in garlic I've ever tasted - ended up with 2 orders they were so good! This restaurant had been recommended by the hotel we were staying in and it did not disappoint us on the night. Price was very reasonable. There was live music but it was not to our taste - we came in late so only caught the end of it. The food and service was very good - well worth a visit.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Tropical Garden is one of many restaurants and is nothing special compared to any other local eatery. The fact that they cater to so many large tour groups is a big downside if you get caught up in the flood of orders coming in from the large parties as we did. At least a 15 minute wait between our two dishes and the second dish was supposed to be the appetizer and they were both cold. When explaining to the server our issues with this we got the no English routine. We had decided to try it out because it was listed in two of our books and it left us wondering why it had gained this status. Also as others have said you can get the same meal at many other places for less. We would not recommend Tropical gardens.