“Terrible Service”

Ranked #155 of 453 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
JQTran
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I booked this hotel by having a friend who lives in HO CHI MINH City scope it out ahead of time without reading online reviews. That was a terrible mistake. My American friends have warned me about their bad customer service but I did not take caution because it was too late.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. But the customer service at the reception desk and hotel restaurant is beyond describable. They gave an excuse for everything you asked. For example because there are no printers anywhere within 10 blocks of this hotel I asked them kindly if I could use their printer to print out a word document and their excuse was their computer is not connected to the internet with the printer. It's a hotel and they receive international customers but they don't use a printer with a computer that connects to the internet?! That's a little absurd and outragious!

Also, they demand a tip everytime someone opens a door for you or greets you even. They just stand and wait until you pull some US dollars out.

Outside the hotel are a million beggars and children selling worthless things and the hotel management does not prohibit this. If you give money to one person a swarm of others come tugging on the corner of your shirt relentlessly until you are surrounded and trapped. This threatened our safety.

Above all I don't recommend staying at this hotel for the rate you have to pay. There are far better and more pleasant ones in the city to chose from.

Conclusion: TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

• Liked — the air condition in the rooms
  • Disliked — terrible staff service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Publicinspektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 1, 2008

the Lan Lan 2 was recommended by a Viet Q relative. They stayed there less than a year before and were impressed.
Called the hotel direct and booked a room but as usual with many Vietnamese hotels in this category, reservation systems consist of a log book which may or may not include your booking. In our case it did not. But the friendly and courteous staff gave us a lovely room and honored our reservation non the less. The rooms were very clean modern and on the whole more then I expected. If you want a larger room with windows you'll have to ask for the rooms in the front or rear of the 9 story building. Some of the center rooms although also clean and modern do not have windows and that might be a problem if you're claustrophobic. In addition I found the bathrooms to be some of the nicest I've seen in Asia. Plenty of hot water, everything tiled with sparkling fixtures. Outstanding was the daily maid service. Thuong our daily housekeeper was remarkable in how she not only super cleaned the room but neatly arranged all of our personal items as well. I have never even had that level of service in a 5 star hotel!
The breakfast was a delight and became one of my favorite meals of the day. Granted it was not a Western style breakfast buffet but hey, this is Viet Nam not Jersey. Great food! and all you can eat. fruits, local specialties and of course Pho'. I just loved it!!!
Can't say enough about the place. I recommend it with confidence. If your looking for a resort or western style hotel go somewhere else but if you want a clean, friendly and generous place to stay close to everywhere you want to be in Saigon then the Lan Lan is for you.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — some of the front desk staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank la_la_land_lover
Ohio
Reviewed January 30, 2008

It's a nice and clean hotel. The restaurant's breakfast is very good. However, the attitudes of the front desk staff easily eclipse all good things about this hotel. My sister and I stayed and paid for a double room (2 people). We were given ONE breakfast coupon. When we asked why we're not told that only one of us would have the free breakfast that come with the room, we were told that for the second person to have the breakfast, we would have to pay an additional $8 for the room. A rip-off. Furthermore, the front desk shown us a different and higher room rate sheet when we asked to see the rate sheet the 2nd day of our stay. The hotel won't allow us to use the computers to make internet calls like all the other hotel in the area. The receptionists were rude to us. So much so that we moved on the 3rd day to Hong Hac Hotel, only a few doors down, cheaper, and the people there are a whole lot more accomodating to their customers.

Won't stay there again and recommend other to do the same.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Having stayed at Lan Lan 2 before, I had thought it safe to recommend it to my family on our recent trip, boy was I wrong. When my parents arrived at the hotel they were informed that their room had been sold and there were none available; they had to stay with my relatives outside the city for that night. When my sister arrived a few days later, they had sold her apartment too and it was only after a stern talking to by my parents that the hotel agreed to give her an upgraded room instead (not at a discounted price mind you); they'd initially told us she had to find another hotel.

Already this hotel was losing points in my book and it only got worse from there. My sister's room had ants on her bedside table and after being assured that they would be sprayed, the next morning she woke to find an ant's nest in her cupboard (where the ants were coming from in the first place), the room was sprayed again despite my assertions that she be transferred. I finally lost my cool when on the third night having come home late, my sister's bedside table was once again found to have ants on it. Management at the hotel didn't seem to concerned though and asked me "it's just ants what's the big deal?". The same disgraceful sense of nonchalance was given when it was pointed out to them one morning that in their restaurant where people have breakfast, there was a cockroach walking across the floor.

On checking out I was informed that a discounted price would be given to my parent's when they returned a few days later from Nha Trang (the hotel having secured a hefty deposit to ensure the room wasn't sold again) for all our trouble at this hotel. Yep, you guessed it, no discounted price was given.

This level of service and lack of hygiene was an outrage, especially given the amount asked for per night. When I was downstairs complaining about the rooms on several occasions I almost had to take a ticket as there were various guests venting their complaints in English and Vietnamese. This hotel has a great location however what it seems to forget is that there are a dozen hotels within 50m which would appreciate your business much more.

I would strongly recommend any potential traveller against booking at this hotel, there are a number of hotels that are much nicer including Le Duy hotel and are just as close to all the action in Ho Chi Minh city.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hygiene and service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank JHNguyen
san diego, ca
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We recently stayed at Lan Lan 2 on Thu Khoa Huan for 2 nights. The hotel is 2 blocks away from Ben Thanh Market and is very close to everything (shopping, dining, major attractions). The staff is very polite and courteous. Their breakfast buffet is above average (we've tried many breakfast buffets during our 3 week trip and this is the best). The room is a bit small but very clean. Overall, this is a very good hotel to stay at a very reasonable rate.

• Liked — its location
  • Disliked — the size of the room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed October 31, 2007

It's in a good location - 1.5mins to Ben Thanh Market. There is a plethora of shops along the way and infront of the hotel. There are also a number of other 3* hotels next to and in front of Lan Lan. Service-wise, not that great esp the ladies. The male staff (taking over at night) were much more helpful. Their bell-boys cum security guard cum general staff are around 24/7. Great for those who just want to hop and skip to Ben Thanh all day. Close to restaurants as well (Pho2000, Chi Nghia, Rosy Cafe). Larger rooms available for families. Breakfast ok but don't expect full continental buffet. Free Internet available.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Safety
  • Disliked — nothing in particular
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo