“They don't serve food”
Review of Tripwriter Bistro

Tripwriter Bistro
Ranked #476 of 4,441 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Description: Bistro is temporarily closed for maintenance. Coming back soon.
Description: Bistro is temporarily closed for maintenance. Coming back soon.
Reviewed April 6, 2016 via mobile

We went there last night but the bistro wasn't serving food. But the bar is still working. Not explanation given.

Date of visit: April 2016
TripwriterBistro, General Manager at Tripwriter Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2016

Dear Valued Customer,

i'm very for your bad experience. Our Bistro is closed 4 days ago for a major change & I had updated the Business Listing on Tripadvisor but they haven't yet proceeded to update the information except the description (they said it took 4-7 business days). When the bistro is opened, we will upload a sign on our page. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 21, 2016

We ate here about a week ago, and the food was delicious, the setting was a really cool style cafe which wouldn't have been out of place in Camden, the only negative was the portion size, which for an evening meal wasn't enough, so I would recommend this place for lunch or a snack.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed March 14, 2016

Our first meal in HCMC and definitely one of the most memorable. Everything we ordered was really tasty, from the medium-rare steak dusted with ants (my first insect eating experience: it went well!) to the absolutely fantastic kimchi and bacon rice (I still think about this rice: and normally I don't even like kimchi!).

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed February 18, 2016

Whilst wandering about the small alleys of Pham Ngu Lao, the Typewriter hotel caught my eye.. Unlike other frumpy cheap backpacker hostels in the area, Tripwriter stands out with its modern take on French Indochine style. A quick look of the Bistro's menu revealed that there's much more to be explored (with my stomach).

I was travelling with a group of friends from America, China and Australia so had the opportunity to sample many of their dishes. In fact, we ordered almost everything from the menu! Hey it was a long day, we deserved it.

Honestly, many of the dishes, including fried rice, prawn cakes, egg rolls and steak were all rather common. They could be found almost anywhere in Vietnam. However, what distinguishes this Bistro from others is its level of care and creativity apparent in every single dish. The fried rice included dried rice which made the texture more crunchy while the steak included a sour salt that was absolutely divine. I was lucky to have the opportunity to speak to the head chef that day.

Mr. Vu, a former architect who gave up his career to pursue his passion in food proudly shared with me that he personally travels to Buan Ma Thuat to secure this special salt. The reason it's sour? Because it's comprised of ants! This may sound strange but I encourage you to try it, you may find it quite appetizing, as we all did.

All in all, a great experience! Very high quality food, with a unique take to traditional Vietnamese cuisine in the most unexpected of places. I wholeheartedly recommend all travelers in the are to seek out Mr Vu's Bistro at Typewriter, you will not be disappointed!!!

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Roger D
Reviewed January 23, 2016

Our first restaurant on arrival in Vietnam and we were not disappointed. They offer a variety of different dishes from all over Vietnam and mainly things that we have never tasted before. The staff were really friendly and clearly passionate about what they do. Every description of a dish makes you want to try it! The story behind the name of the place is cute too...you have to go there to read it on the wall to know more! ^_-
Oh, and the beer is nice and cold and cheap too.
Delicious food, great address in the centre of Hoi Chi Minh City!!

Date of visit: January 2016