“Another "Yes" for this budget hotel.”
Review of Blue River Hotel

Blue River Hotel
Ranked #106 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Detroit, Michigan
“Another "Yes" for this budget hotel.”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We just spent 3 nights and enjoyed the basic amenities of this budget hotel -- a frig; clean bathroom, sheets and room; very helpful staff; working AC (a bit on the weak side, however); and a tasty breakfast of eggs or pancakes.
First time visitors to Vietnam, the hotel's driver picked us up at the airport in the middle of the night for around $17 (Contact them via phone -- 84 83837 6483 --or email with your flight numbers) It is centrally located, close to some great restaurants and to the Vietnamese Traditional Massage Institute where we received an extraordinary hour massage from the HCMC Association for the Blind for around $3. The hotel is situated in a quiet alley that proved to be an oasis from the hyper noise of motorbikes and cars!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed two nights with our son, on a layover enroute yo Manila. It is right smack in the middle of the backpackers area so its a busy area. Friendly employees with warm hospitality and a decent breakfast, you get your moneys worth. The aircon in our room barely gave out cold air though, the only downside of staying here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I visited the room before deciding to stay and it looked like any another low budget hotel. Once I booked, I was told the water for the shower lasted 3min (up to 5min if I was lucky). I saw some long black hair on the bedsheets. This is all I can say about the bed as I didn't get the chance to sleep in... I was told at reception that I should leave my room key if I went out (probably so they monitor more easily who is in or not) and that s what I did. Like in other similar hotel, they said the hotel door should be open till midnight and after that I d have to ring the bell for someone to come and open. BUT when I came back at 11.50pm the door was closed and when I rang the bell for 10min, nobody came!!! I had to sleep in another hotel! When I came back the next morning telling the owner it was unacceptable and saying I didn't want to pay for a room I had not used, she screamed, called me a liar and said I was making excuses not to pay the room fee. She then showed me a video camera recording of the door that could just have been any other night. After half an hour of arguments, I paid this angry women promising her to leave my feedback about her ugly temper and service...

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Alex F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at the Blue River Hotel at the end of our 10 days trip around Vietnam. The hotel is very average, we booked two rooms and they were both quite small; the sheets were stained and the towels a bit smelly. The staff was quite helpful but they made a mistake on the bill and charged us 5 USD less - a couple of days after we had left they decided to charge my credit card for that missing amount, without even consulting me first. The location however is great and this hotel is good if you're travelling on a budget... But don't expect too much!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nicolamele
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed there in Jan-Feb and found employees went out of their way to help. They looked at addresses for me on my map, recommended stores...
I once broke a glass in my room and someone rushed to clean debris within minutes. mI was not charged for the glass.
Mr Long, the manager is VERY helpful and friendly, yet professional.
I was paying $25/night, a discounted rate for over 10 days, which is MORE than you would pay for less comfort and service in the same alley. All over I think it is well worth the price considering service cleanliness, safety deposit box and large room. Mine was also very quiet.
There are 2 rooms at a lower rate but they were rented when I arrived.They are smaller.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This hotel is truly a great place to stay. We stayed for 5 nights in twin room with window. The room was very nice with the most comfortable beds I encountered in SE Asia so far. The bathroom was excellent as well.

Downside is that there is no elevator and breakfast area is a bit stuffy and hot (it could use a couple of extra fans).

Location is great, in the center of the city but in a small alleyway so it is quiet during the night.

Staff is excellent, you can rely on them to give you all the information you need, to help you with any problems you might have. They arranged bus and train tickets for us and changed our train tickets when we realized we told them the wrong date. After our 3 week trip through Vietnam, we came back again on the day of our departure, and it was no problem for them to keep our bags and let us chill out in the lobby, even though we were not spending the night.

I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 7, 2014

If you're looking for a place to stay in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), you really can't go wrong with Blue River Hotel. There are a lot of bigger, well-known, high-rating hotels around HCMC but Blue River's location, service, and price easily makes it the best choice among its competition. My wife and I, along with some friends, stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights. And all throughout our vacation, we were treated warmly by the staff (one of the best people you'll meet in the city). You can book your city tour or arrange taxi service with the hotel's receptionist. Or you could also go on your own exploring the city since the location of Blue River is perfectly situated near some of HCMC's must-visit landmarks, locations, and services (museums, markets, food/places to eat, convenience stores, parks, bus and taxi terminals, etc.). The rooms are clean and everything else are well-provided: air-condition, towels, small hand soap (which are replenished everyday), water heater, a TV with cable channels, a big closet with mirror, electric sockets, trash bin, small refigerator, etc. One nitpick though is that we didn't see anything from our windows (room 201) because the wall from the nearby building blocks the view -- other than that, the room is still impressive. If we are to come back at HCMC, I would definitely choose Blue River again. It is convenience and affordability wrapped into one warm package!

Room Tip: the hotel stairs are a bit steep and small; so if you're packing heavy luggages, i suggest you t...