“Excellent Option for Transit in HCMC”
Review of Tan Son Nhat Hotel

Tan Son Nhat Hotel
Ranked #184 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Excellent value choice for a transit overnight in HCMC. Stayed there for one night. The hotel is a mere 5 minutes drive from the airport - bet this is THE closest economy option ($35 / single). Historical building, clean rooms, good but impersonalized service - but what did you want from a big hotel? My window was facing a noisy street but I was so tired that could not hear anything from the outside. Restaurant - the food was excellent, but I was asked from the restaurant before I could have my dessert because they were closing - I would expect the staff could wait me finish my meal.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank polynesian1
There are newer reviews for Tan Son Nhat Hotel

Reviewed March 31, 2010

If you need to be close to the airport and you don't want to pay over a hundreds of dollars.This hotel met the criteria.

The triple room was big enough for our family. The restaurant on site met our needs.

Unfortunately, the hotel allows smoking in the rooms. :(

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Tompat923
Reviewed March 5, 2010

The Hotel is very near to the airport which attracts many tourists to this hotel. I stayed twice in this hotel. The rooms are neat and clean and the pricing is economical. For buffet breakfast, variety of food served. The room is connected with wired internet and good connectivity is available. The staffs are friendly.

Only thing you prefer to stay at the farther end of the hotel to avoid the traffic sound. Be cautious few staff may charge you for extra tips.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank aquaguys
Reviewed January 18, 2010

it is not my first stays in HCMC but I have to say that I am quite disappointed by this hotel.
Old, no proper design, mixt of styles and nothing really attracting to stay there.

Staff are kind and friendly as Vietnamese are but not well trained to "deal" with foreigner guests. Breakfast is too much Asian cuisine, I love Pho but like also viennoiseries and danish pastries too...

Internet is free but very slow. A nice choice of foreigner TV channels except French... do not ask why as the reception was not able to reply to me...
Very noisy and quite hard to sleep until 7.30am as doors are banging by staff, traffic on the roads near by never stop and no double window and of couse forget sound proofing, certainly too old to take care of it.

If you have nothing to do near the airport, go somewhere else in downtown, so many small hotels much more sexy, clean and attracting instead of this huge building without charm and personalization.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Chrisinasia
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Stayed for one night only,used this hotel for our last night in Vietnam.The place as a lot of character.If you want to eat outside of the hotel there is place right next door which is very popular with locals.Had breakfast in the hotel which was buffet,it offered a wide range of choices,something for everyone.I found the room clean and tidy and this appeared to be the same throughout the hotel.Staff at reception very helpfull.It took only 10 minutes in taxi to get to the airport,this hotel in a good location to avoid all the heavy traffic to get you to airport nice and relaxed.For the price i thought it worth it,would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hullbug
Reviewed November 26, 2009

This hotel was recommended and booked for me by my Vietnamese customer. I did not know this hotel belongs to the Military. Even though the hotel is basic I really appreciated the courteous service, quiet atmosphere, fast cable internet in my room, cleanliness and very nice buffet breakfast and restaurant. I've been there twice now and even though it does not have upscale amenities, it is just right.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank chilewine
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed in a basic room of a wing that was being remodeled. My room was nice but basic, and well worth the $35.00 rate I paid. The room had a small refrigerator stocked with drinks and food. There was wired DSL in the room and it worked well. I was impressed to have internet in such a inexpensive room. The bathroom was very good. The restaurant was excellant with a very large free Vietnamese buffet each morning.

There was some construction noise during the day at the hotel. They were in the middle of a big renovation.

It is a government hotel, and I believe that is why they are pretty rigid about having guests in your room. If you want to experience Viet Nam, then I recommend this hotel. If you think you must eat western food or you will die, then you better stay in Dist 1.

I like the hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo