“Good location for De Tham”
Review of Elios Hotel

Elios Hotel
Ranked #75 of 468 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We've stayed at the Elios on each ot the four times we've been through Saigon. It's handy for the bars and restaurants in the De Tham backpacker area, especially those in Chua An Lac (an area we love), but a bit more expensive than the really cheap hotels. Staff are unfailingly polite and efficient. Breakfasts are usually good and varied. The 12th floor restaurant boasts a balcony you can sit on if the weather is not to hot and view the Saigon skyline. We've had three of the superior rooms with windows (usually in the area next to the lifts and stairwells) and one cheaper one that was a bit gloomy for its lack of a window or natural light. The only problem we had with a room was a superior on the 11th floor. Being right next to the stairs and under the restuarant we were constantly being woken up by noisy guests on their way or from breakfast or supper. We asked to be moved without fuss. The only downside to travelling to Saigon was getting caught by a taxi scam at the airport. Elios used to arrange a pick up but I gather do not any more so if you are not used to Vietnamese taxis I'd advise ensuring that you get a metered taxi to get there. Yes we would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a superior but avoid 11th floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for a few nights at Elios. It is right in the heart of the action of Pham Ngu Lao street. Lots of nightlife, and walking distance to major attractions. Room was clean, quiet,but small. We had a room with window, but window really was pretty small and didn't offer much of a view. Good shower...HOT water. We found the (free) breakfast buffet disappointing...hardly any fresh fruit, and mostly Korean oriented dishes. We've seen much better free breakfast buffets at budget hotels. We did extend our stay 1 day, but staff required us to rebook online...other wise the price would be much higher. Seems like they should have given us the online price, and avoided the commissions. Oh well.
Booked a bus to Phnom Penh from a booking agent next door...bus stop was right in front of the hotel...very convenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alaska99
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I don’t think I would stay here again, although everything was fine. I checked in at 2am after a delayed flight and had no problems. The location is right in the heart of the backpacker’s district which is nice if you want to be in the heart of everything but can be very noisy.

I stayed in a single room (805) which didn’t have any windows but had a nice bathroom (no bathtub though) and a king sized bed. Breakfast was included (630-10 daily), but wasn’t all that great. For “western” food they just had a variety of dry breads, although the view was nice (11th floor).

They had a “gym” which was a room with 4 machines and no AC.

For the price I think you can find something better in the area.

Room Tip: Would reccommend a room on the backside (away from the main street)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lovetotravel352
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked this hotel after reading a lot of reviews on trip advisor, we were looking for a good clean hotel in a central area for a reasonable price.....and that's what we got. The room was clean and spacious with a nice view of the park opposite, we booked a double deluxe room. Breakfast was served on the top floor of the hotel (again great view) with a very good choice of hot and cold dishes. All the staff were helpful and friendly, and the hotel is in a very central location (district 1). There are plenty of restaurants in this area, also a Bia Hoi ….. Great fun. Ben Than market is about 10 min walk away. The only small problem we had was the A/C, it was very, very cold when turned to high but may as well not be on when turned to low. I think this hotel is good value for the price.

Room Tip: book a deluxe room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights while on our honeymoon, we had an end room on the 8th floor, which was spacious and had a great view of the city and parkland across the road. The 12th floor Restaurant offers great views, especially at night, and once we explained that I am gluten free, we had no problems in getting advise on dishes from the staff. We experienced the staff wanting to help, with a waiter who was teaching us to speak Vietnamese. The location was great, within walking distance of major landmarks and the Ben Thanh markets. There are restaurants nearby and a supermarket just down the road. When being picked up for a tour, the concierge will escort you across the hectic road, and will gladly teach you some more Vietnamese words. We do recommend this hotel and found it to be clean and located in a great area. The bed was a bit hard, but the room was quiet.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I had to go to Saigon for a trade-show, I was looking at a decent hotel in a good location where I can roam after a day's work too. Few suggestions were given but after reading some reviews I finally decided to book Elios Hotel.

I was told it is a budget hotel, unsure about the star rating because every country has its own standard. After check-in, to me Elios falls into a basic 2*+ hotel.

Location wise, it's good, right in the heart of backpacker area thus you will find lots of cheap guesthouses, travel-agents, even executive buses going to Cambodia etc also starts from this area. Very convenient. A good bakery is just next to Elios and a little further also a Highland Coffee outlet. The Ben Thanh Market is near but it is not that near, at least 10-12 minutes walk and that includes few street-crossing :)

Room is small, luckily I was traveling solo so with my luggage it's not too bad, if you are traveling with partner, you may find room is uncomfortable. There is only one tiny window. Bathroom is small, standard with bath-tube and shower. All worked pretty well.

Breakfast was served on the very top of the building, 12th floor offering nice panoramic view of Saigon. I had my dinner upon arrival as I was too knackered to venture out. The food was alright. You can pay also in US$ too. Breakfast menu was mostly cold dishes (salad and company), there were few hot dishes too aside from the regular rolls and bread.

Most 2-3* independent hotels in Saigon are in the form of one slim building, therefore lobby is always small.

Staffs were helpful every time I need a taxi to go to the fair exhibition hall located on the other part of town. They would wave and call taxi for you and even explain a little to the driver before you step in, in case the driver don't speak English. One time, I had to go to pick up my fellow at other hotel on the way, I asked the bellman to explain to the driver too.

Three points rating it is, in fact I would add a half-point but here it's either three for four so it's just a three-points (***).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kongco
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel was comfortable, safe and clean. The staff were friendly and efficient. The roof top restaurant has stunning views of the city and serves reasonably priced food. Breakfast is included in the price and the choices are wide and tasty. The street below is loud and exciting, but within the rooms it is quiet and cool. There are lots of things to do within walking distance or by a rickshaw or taxi ride.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the park on the main street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family