“Interesting Overview of Ho Chi Minh”
Review of Trails & Tales

Trails & Tales
Ranked #52 of 475 Tours in Ho Chi Minh City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trails and Tales Tours offer an exciting alternative to your regular guided tours. Our professionally trained guides will take you on a fascinating three-hour journey through the myths, fiction and non-fiction, of Ho Chi Minh City unveiling its rich history and modernizing present. Soak in the sights, learn some Vietnamese phrases, and delve into the psyche of the nation..for free! Meet on Saturdays at Starbucks.
Reviewed October 24, 2016

Having only one full day in Saigon, I was looking to get a brief overview of the city's history, visit famous landmarks, and learn more about Vietnamese culture & traditions before heading back to the States.

Not only did this tour meet my expectations, it exceeded them. We stopped at ~5 stops along the way to learn more about them and to see how they evolved over time (Adam had laminated print outs that he passed around to the group - a great visual aid to see the transformative change).

Adam was a great city guide - taking pages out of the free tours across Europe but putting his own South East Asia spin on it. Since he has lived in HCMC for 7 years, he is a fountain of knowledge and answered every question posed by the group.

All-in-all, you probably walk close to 5 miles (8km) and learn a ton about the city.

If you are on a limited time frame for Saigon, I cannot recommend this tour enough.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"meeting point"
"sugar cane juice"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 9 reviews
in 25 reviews
"sights"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed October 17, 2016

Having done the museums and Cu Chi tunnel tour in Saigon I was seeking more of a general overview of this city in particular. I enjoy walking tours as they are a great way to get a sense of orientation which is needed especially in a big city like Saigon. Adam was friendly, fun, energetic and told stories and facts in an engaging way. All stops were interesting as they not only focused on the historical but the current living history of this fast-changing city. Perfect tour to do at the beginning or end of your trip. Opportunity to join Adam and his family for lunch at the end which is a great way to find out more about contemporary life in Saigon.

2  Thank Issel_B
Reviewed October 4, 2016 via mobile

One of my first walking tours so wasn't sure what to expect. We only had 2 days in HCM so this tour was perfect to learn about the sites and history of the city. As most of the other reviews mention Adam is an expat who has good knowledge of the city and runs a well informed tour! Over 3 hours we visited quite a few important landmarks and are given clear explanations and backgrounds of these important monuments/landmarks in the city. Be prepared to do quite a lot of kms of walking in the HCM weather (it was about 30 degrees for us!). Definitely recommend!

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed September 26, 2016 via mobile

I arrived in ho chi Minh, like most, a little overwhelmed by the city, with so many things to see what should I do first? I suggest you take this tour before you do anything else! Adam will take you around the hot spots in HCM, teach you some language basics and lots of interesting stories too! I'm traveling alone but that day I met people who I spent the next couple of days with ...bonus!

Date of experience: September 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

Adam the guide has put together a very slick tour! As an expat, Adam gives the tour from his perspective and his enthusiasm for the city really shines out. It's filled with history, both old and recent, and drops little bits useful info as well. I went in knowing nothing and came out wanting to explore the sites more deeply afterwards.

Only downside is that it's only on Saturdays.

Date of experience: September 2016
Adam P, Owner at Trails & Tales, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2016

Hello William,

Thanks for taking time out to review us. I'm very happy that you enjoyed the tour and wanted to learn more about the city. My wife is currently learning the tour so we are hoping to run the group tours twice a week but if anymore is not available on Saturdays I do run private tours around my teaching schedule throughout the week and on Sundays. Please email me for more details.

Kind Regards,