“Small Room”

Thien Tung Hotel
Ranked #246 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
“Small Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights. Room sizes vary greatly in this hotel. As part of a group, I noticed that some people had large rooms and some people had small rooms. My room was tiny with a view of a grey wall through the window. I had to sit sideways on the toilet to fit as the bathroom was that small. The hotel information book contained no information about the location of the restaurant, contact numbers for the lobby, Hotel services, or any useful tips. Instead it contained a list of the hotel rules and what you would be fined for messing up their towels and bed linen. On that topic, my fresh towels were stained and contained holes. Lifts were also tiny and slow. The breakfast was average. On a positive note, the staff were excellent, helpful, and friendly. The reason I am giving this bellow par hotel three stars is purely based on my positive interactions with the staff.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Rooms are clean, comfortable but the road noise is really quite intrusive - I am not bothered by noise usually but this was really loud - No double glazing.

Room was nicely furnished, a good size but filled with passive aggressive notes usually found in youth hostels - the hotel seems to miss the concept of customer service completely. The staff personally are nice but everything is set up to make things not exactly difficult, but just unpolished and as if the hotel does you a favour by staying there. To get a power adaptor, you buy it - fine - I don't mind buying it but its that whole - "if you use a towel to wipe tea, the towel costs $25" mentality that just doesn't make your stay relaxing.

The breakfast is the worse that we have had in 8 weeks travelling in cheap/mid range hotels.

Location is good - really handy.

This hotel isn't awful - its clean, locations good - its just in need of an attitude change and some sound proofing. I didn't have any particular fall out with the staff - they were pleasant enough its just the pieces don't add up to a nice experience.

Pool is small but just too cold to use - which was a pity. The children did go in but wouldn't repeat the experience :)
I would recommend going to the Huong sen 5 minutes ago.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Vivienne-youngFamily

Travelers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

Gold Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Unfortunately I ended up in one of the front rooms which was way too noisy. Right on a fairly busy road, with noise from the busiest road a couple of minutes walk away. Not to mention the construction site 30 seconds away and the busy bus station 1 minute away (which can be handy) the buses make a huge noise also when they use there indicators as well as the continual beep beep from all the other traffic. My fault for not changing rooms but I'm a smoker so I kept the room for 3 days so I could sit by the window to smoke. If they double glazed the windows this would help a touch.

But on a positive note: The rooms are comfy enough clean and a good size. Staff were fantastic and really couldn't do enough to assist any requests. A good breaky with such a lovely man greeting you at the door for breakfast. It only took me 5mins to walk to Ben Tanh markets even with the busy roads. It really is terrific location just request a quieter room at the back and I should learn by now to have ear plugs handy. My wifi wasn't the best but I think I really just had a dude room. I didn't get to use the pool but it can be handy after the heat in Siagon.

Please don't disregard this hotel because I had a bad room and I am a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Night market next to Ben Tanh markets is a must. You can enjoy a la carte in a tent just set up each...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JohnnyGoldcoast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Clean, comfortable and decent rooms. Breakfast is very typical of Vietnamese buffet style breakfasts. If you want your bacon, sausage and beans, good luck finding them. They do serve eggs, toast and array of Asian sides. Staff were friendly and happy to aid in any queries we had. For the price you pay ($20 a night) you'll be happy with what you get. The greatest thing i found was the location. 100m to the ben thanh market, 2km south of the remnants museum and about 2km south west of notre dame cathedral. There is also a familymart next door. All in all, very happy and would recommend for those looking to reel in their spending.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a great small hotel in the centre. Rooms are small but very good decorated, bathrooms are good equiped. Only setback are the two elevators, slow and small. Good breakfast on the top floor. There is a small swimming pool and other sports which are ok for a small city hotel. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are cleaned spotless each day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Birkeroed, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel has a nice location very close to the market and close to restaurants and shopping, and within walkindistance or a cheap taxidrive from a lot of sights. We had a familyroom wich was nice and big with a nice bathroom. The rooms are not too charming, but nice and clean. There is no safe in the room.
We only stayed halv a day because we were leaving for the airport late in the evening so we did not try their breakfast, and we dit not try the beds. Our other hotel in Ho Chi Minh was unfortunately fully booked so therefore we had to move for this half day.
On arrival we asked for the price for a car to the airport. Tho hotel would charge 15 USD. Since our other hotel would charge 7 USD we found it way too much and thanked no.
When we checked out the front desk asked if they should call a taxi, and we said yes. Waiting on the street we were surprised to see the se the security people wawing away taxis. A normal taxi turned up at we put in our luggage. Suddenly the taxidriver started saing "my friend says 15 USD". Promptly I went out of the taxi wanting to take out our luggage again and they said "ok ok taxameter". The trip to the airport was then only abouy 7 USD!
I really dont like when the people at a hotel you are staing at are trying to pull these scams on you. And it cold not just have been the security guys - the ones in the reception was also part of it. After that experience I would never stay in that hotel again and I would not trust the staff, and would be worried since there is no safe in the room.
Maybe we were just unlucky - we have been travelling in asia a lot and luckily we have never met this problem before.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LiseErichsen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed in a twin room and it was nice and spacious with a good sized bathroom. Great location. You can see the markets from our room- just over the roundabout. Staff are super friendly and helpful making my first stay in Vietnam one to remember. Down the street at the intersection and to the right is a laundromat and to the left is a small store that sells everything u need. Eg. Beer, smokes and water :)
I recommend the Cu Chi Tunnels tour from the front desk. I did the half day and it was awesome. The tour guide was hilarious! Totally worth it! Bring something small for lunch as it is not provided.

Sadly a little pricy, but we winged it. I'm guessing if you book prior the price will be cheaper. It didn't bother me too much as the location and staff made up for it :)

• Stayed August 2013