“Do not do the Duna.”
Review of Duna Hotel

Duna Hotel
Ranked #397 of 467 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Duna Hotel for 3 nights, we had room 701 which was $25 a night.

First the plus points about our room:
- Flat screen tv mounted on the wall (not every room has this but ours did).
- Strong water pressure in the shower and super hot water.
- Great location just 5 mins walk from Ben Thanh market, lots of good and cheap food to be had around the area.
- Free wifi.

That's about it...
Our room had one double bed and two small pillows that yes, felt like cement bags. The bed was firm but a bit creaky. The room was fitted with a nice dresser, fridge and two sofa chairs that looked a bit worn. There was a fan but it didn't work and we didn't use it anyway. We checked and there were no towels, we had to ask for them.

Despite being on the 7th floor we could still hear constant noise from the traffic as our room overlooked the main street. The walls were too thin and noise from the room next door could be heard easily along with door slamming etc.

The bathroom was clean but TINY. The bathtub could probably only fit a child. The toilet was fitted at an awkward angle so there wasn't alot of room to move around. However the fittings looked new and water pressure was great.

Our second night we couldn't turn on the a/c. After calling reception they told us a very strange way to work the button on the remote and we finally got it working.

On our last day we came back to find the room prepared but the sheet under the blanket missing, leaving only the blanket. That night we woke at 5am to find the power cut off. Thankfully we managed to get the a/c on but the rest of the electrical stuff like lights were not functioning even till morning.

Breakfast everyday was pretty basic: A choice of baguette with jam, baguette with egg, baguette with omelette or instant noodles. The omelette was good but be warned if you choose the ice coffee the glass comes only 1/3-1/2 full. The cook is cheerful but doesn't speak much English. My husband ordered the noodle one morning and got served baguette with jam.

The hotel is adequate if you're a solo traveller just looking for a place to park yourself for the night. The location is very good, we ate at the night market every night, spending an average of $7 for both of us (2-3 big dishes, soda and beer). However there are better places to stay than Duna Hotel if you come with spouse or family.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dancingheart

Reviewed January 4, 2010

The hotel looked very charming from the outside, so we rented the cheaper room with no view for $20 per night. It was very old and dirty and our bed was about to fall apart. The next morning we found a nicer hotel for $19 per night nearby.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dodibau
Reviewed December 9, 2009

First time stayed in this hotel 4th of December, It was nice with affordable price.
The day We came back from other province to stay back at this hotel, it was a bit noisy with the staff swearing at the corridor.
In the evening we found out our camera and phone missing. We report to the manager
and the manager Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Muoi replied with such an approprite action to us to read the rules and regulation even we as low profile people talk to him.
In the morning we still checked the camera was in the laptop bag but in the evening it's gone. There must be the staff who clean and make up the room takes this camera and phone. Be more careful and think 100 times to stay at this hotel with bad management.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank juanibo
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Don't stay here. Simple. The only thing going for this place is the location. Right on the main road with everything right at your footstep.

I came to stay at this unfortunate hotel after my volunteering guesthouse turned out to be in someone's home. I asked for them to take me to a hotel and they recommended this place??? There is no need for bad recommendations when you have tripadvisor, but I took their word and found out for myself that this place was a dud.

I paid $USD30 a night, not much by most people's standards but Vietnam is a cheap country and $30 should get you a clean basic hotel in a good location. Unfortunately this hotel was far from clean and that was the deal breaker for me. I got a room overlooking the street. The balcony houses the air-con and therefore you can't actually use it. The chairs had deep stains and were worn out. (I did not sit on them) The bed was hard as a rock, the hardest bed I have ever slept on in 10 years of travel. The pillows were definitely like cement bags. There was the longest black hair hanging over the fridge.

The service was not good. The girl that works the day shift is not a people person. Really a mandatory requirement for someone working in the service industry. Also if you must stay at this hotel please disregard their exchange rate. They won’t give you the advertised rate and they really are just trying to rip you off.

You may ask "Why did I stay at this place and not leave immediately" , well I dropped my bags off and then went straight to my volunteer placement, I got back at night and was tired, I lasted 3 nights. I bathed with my feet out of the shower because the shower flooded, a goldmine of bacteria I wanted no part of. "What broke the camel’s back", you ask. Well on the 3rd night (yes the 3rd night) I was brushing my teeth and leaned my head forward, lodged in the basin I discovered old disgusting soaps, tooth pastes and so forth as they had removed the plug so people can't hand wash and flood the place. That was it. I marched myself downstairs asked for a refund on the last 4 nights (they did obliged, I will give them that) I managed to find a clean room in a hotel down the street for $USD18. I don’t believe I have ever been so happy to see the back of a hotel room....please don’t stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Annannann
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I made a reservation, secured with a credit card, on hotel's website, as it was busy Tet time. Duna failed to hold room and hotel was booked solid - and what's more, later someone made a bunch of bogus purchases on my card!! The staff were only slightly apologetc, and rather miserable toward us. A guy directed us to another hotel, but then demanded a commission from me!! The worst service I've ever encountered, anywhere. Not just bad, but dangerous and scary.

Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank zoomtokyo
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Our 2 nights stay with DuNa Hotel was doomed from the start- we had paid US$45/night through a Rose Hotel agent, supposedly for a 4 star hotel. When we got there, we realized it was only a 2 star hotel with our tiny room actually costing US$25/night. Rose Hotel repeatedly disconnected our calls, after answering once with false promises.

Regardless of how we got there, the room and service was very disappointing. As you can see from the photos, the room is tiny, with old-fashioned decor and a "window" that looks into the hotel corridor. There is no partition between the shower and toilet, but at least it was clean. There was air-con, a fan, TV, fridge, slippers, wardrobe, and free soap, toothbrush and paste. On our first night, we hardly got any sleep. We were on the 4th floor and there wasn't much traffic noise- it was the people noises that kept us awake. People were talking, going in and out of their room, slamming doors. It was like the walls were paper thin. What all the noise was about I'm not sure, but at least they didn't continue into our 2nd night there. Meals were in a small room in the back of the hotel, crowded with guests' luggage. It was kinda depressing and the meals were very ordinary, to say the least.

Service: We couldn't get the water hot enough for a shower, so we called reception. They sent a guy up who fiddled around awhile and said he'll be back "in a moment." He wasn't. The hot water system still wasn't working. This was fixed the next morning, after telling reception again what had happened.
We asked for an adaptor. They had none.
We asked for a hair dryer and at first, it wasn't available. There was only 1 for the whole hotel. When it became available, we were told to come downstairs ourselves to get it.
I needed to do a reverse charge call to my Australian bank and the receptionist told me she didn't know the international operator number. She also said she thinks it's not possible to do a reverse charge in Vietnam. So I got a phone card with a toll free number, but she couldn't tell me for certain that I won't be charged by the hotel to call this toll free number.

Our biggest problem came when it was time to leave. The manager tried to persuade me to pay him US$11-15 (can't remember) upfront. We opted for the meter and toId him to book us an airport taxi, as they seemed to be cheaper than a Vinasun. He called back and said he doesn't know any airport taxis, so I said, "That's fine. Don't book us a taxi. We'll find one ourselves." On the day of departure, after waiting over 20 mins for him to check out a couple before us, we found that he had gone ahead and ordered a taxi for us anyway. The driver didn't speak a word of English. He spoke to the hotel manager and then tried to charge us $150 000 Dong. Because we knew that it only cost $90 000 Dong to reach the hotel from the airport, we told the manager that we were going by the meter and the MAXIMUM we would pay was $150 000 Dong (in case the driver went wandering). As far as we were concerned, it was understood and agreed to. Half way there, the manager calls and tells me that we also have to pay a $35 000 Dong phone bill, which he forgot to tell us about. We agreed to pay the taxi driver that and he can pass it on. When we reached the airport, the meter said it was only $84 000 Dong, but the taxi driver insisted on his $150 000 Dong. After experiencing a string of similar bad business practices in Vietnam, we'd had enough. We stood our ground based on the principle of it. What followed was an at least 35 min long "discussion" between us and the taxi driver, with another Vietnamese driver acting as a translator, who seemed to find the whole thing pretty funny. The taxi driver, highly agitated, phoned the hotel manager at least 3 times; twice the phone was passed to me and the hotel manager was literally screaming at me to pay his now $36 000 Dong bill. I kept telling him that yes, we are paying the bill, it's just the taxi fare we're disputing. He screams back that he doesn't care about the taxi fare. I tell him then that I don't know why I'm even speaking to him at all. He screams at me again to pay is bill and hangs up on me. How unprofessional. In the end, after threatening to take us back to the hotel and a lot of Vietnamese shouting, the taxi guy got $120 000 Dong and $36 000 for the bill, and he still wasn't satisfied. Everybody left angry and this episode totally ruined our already shaky impression of Vietnam.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank woozie3
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We were attracted to this hotel for its price, cute friendly name, and great location in the pham ngu lao district close to restaurants, cafes, bars etc. but our experience was rather disappointing. Even though our room was fairly spacious with a great view over the ho chi minh hustle and bustle, this also meant it was terribly noisy. im not sure we would have slept too well regardless, as the pillows sure don't take after the hotel's name, instead they were like firm rubber concrete slabs! While the bathroom was clean and even included a bath, the water didnt ever reach any temperature above cold.
Although breakfast was included in the price, it was basic to say the least, and not very appetising. Plus it was served in a poky little cupboard of a room which just felt shabby and dingy. There are many affordable, simple yet pleasant places to stay around this area, Duna hotel is not one of them.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple