“Constant noise...even worse than the streets!”
Review of Thien Xuan Hotel

Thien Xuan Hotel
Ranked #153 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Sydney, Australia
“Constant noise...even worse than the streets!”
Reviewed December 26, 2010

My room was next to the restaurant...this meant that I was awoken at 5am by loud music and clattering of dishes. When I decided that I might as well just join the chaos it was rammed with guests, poor food and very average service. I waited over 20 minutes for my eggs to arrive but unfortunately only one egg survived the treacherous journey from the kitchen.

Late night room service was also a very low standard.

Room was nice, internet was fast. Helpful reception staff as well.

Some of the staff look close to going postal though. I let one old maid past me in the stair well and she shouted something at me and barged past. No, it definitely wasn't a come on!!!

The massage is an experience if you get the same dude as I did. He absolutely annihilated me, but it seemed to do the trick. He has the most amazing wall eyed milk bottle look going that you just have to see ;) the definite highlight of my stay...!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I have stayed at THIEN XUAN on 2 trips for dental work mixed with touring around. Granted if its just budget that dictates its not the cheapest. It is however central with great staff,from the housemaids to the front desk on all shifts & the price compares not to bad.On these trips I have come back & forth a number of times & never found any problems,I am prompted to write as I'm planning to go around May again & looked at its reviews after a tripadvisor email about another hotel which I thought dear for the location, and some bad writeups. Highly recomended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank jonno22
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as we could not get into the hotel we wanted.
Clean and spacious room with good air conditioning. Room a bit dated but overall well presented. Wifi did not work properly in our room so the staff moved us up to a higher level where reception was a little clearer. There are three computers on the first level though free to use at any time.
Breakfast choices were limited for westerners we felt.
Front desk staff helpful and obliging.
Would we stay again? Probably not as it was a little far from restaurants and bars in the backpacker area.
We had previously stayed at the Vien Dong Hotel a couple of weeks before and preferred that one for it's top location and overall presentation and service.
However, Thien Xuan Hotel is good value for money. Ben Tahn Markets very close for bargain hunters.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
cm
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The male staff is Gay friendly and will help you to find the kind of places you are looking for. The breakfast buffet is a little stupid but tolerant is OK I would stay there again. Close to everything in the center of town. Not a backpacker hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cmrichsw
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We crashed into the Thien Xuan at about 5.00am after coming off the local night train from Nha Trang. We were met by friendly, understanding staff who got us settled in our room as quickly as possible. We had originally planned to arrive late afternoon the previous day and enjoy a last night and morning in Saigon before flying out to Singapore. However, as happens in Vietnam, the SE express day train never arrived in Nha Trang (never found out why but finally - after 5 hours- was told that whole line from Hanoi closed). My email contact with the Thien Xuan staff had been very efficient when booking and when I rang to advide that we would probably be arriving 5 hours late they said no worries room would be kept and ready. when I rang again to say that we would only arrive next morning, could we still have our room to crash for a few hours and freshen up in we were told no problem and will only charge half room rate with breakfast still included.
The room was small but comfortable, the bathroom very nice indeed and everything very clean. Breakfast was fine and although you had to pay extra for it, the fresh orange juice was a lovely change from the long life stuff you usually get. The location of this hotel is one of the reasons we originally picked it as we wanted to do last minute shopping at Ben Tanh and you can't get much closer. It is certainly a very convenient location although not as close to the backpacker area as others.
Based on our brief encounter, I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I normally stay at a 4 or 5 star international hotel but a friend recommended trying Thien Xuan for the location and price. I was a little worried reading a review that mentioned poor reservation communication. I emailed my request directly and within an hour, was promptly answered with a confirmation at around $52 a night versus $280 for my normal hotel. My bill for three days with a little laundry and a couple beers was $115!!!--with breakfast. less than half the Sheraton or Melia for one night. Upon arrival the service was fine and with a smile, my voucher was ready, all my luggage was taken from the taxi to my room, air-conditioning adjusted for me. It was great. Wifi in the room. The room was more than adequate for $50 a night. Decent size but pretty basic furniture. Plenty of amenities in the bathroom. Breakfast was fast and ample with 4 or 5 choices. Really fresh eggs made tasty onion and cheese omelets. The location was so much more fun than the international hotel area with many restaurants, stores, the market, stalls on the corners with gifts all to the right and left of the hotel. The charming girl at the front desk person helped research and print a map to one of my appointments. Shopping for gifts was easy. In the morningI was able to walk to most of my appointments at major banks and securities firms and the efficient bellman got me taxis when needed. My checkout was smooth, the bill was fine. There is no reason to have any skepticism or doubt about this hotel, not for $50 per night for sure and I will never stay anywhere else in Saigon, I'd rather spend the money on gifts and this was more fun!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank emergingmarkets
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel which is very well positioned, next to Ben Thanh market.
The room shows its age and poor maintenance: caulking around the bathtub is falling apart but it is clean. Room size is fairly small. Bed has firm mattress. Free Wi-Fi is available in room but there is no way to connect to it, so they provided a plug-in cable alternative. There is no safebox inside the room which is very inconvenient. Only one elevator is available for the 10 floors and there is only one staircase which connects them all. Breakfast is basic with 1 order from the kitchen (eggs, vietnamese pho...) and 1 hot or cold beverage. For already staying in other hotels in this area close to the central market, we find this hotel a bit overpriced.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple