“Great hotel but one huge problem”
Review of Park Hyatt Saigon

Park Hyatt Saigon
Ranked #3 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
beijing
“Great hotel but one huge problem”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Look, this is the best hotel in Saigon by a long shot, don't get get wrong. Facilities service etc--all tops. But something really stupid happened here which makes this 1 star review necessary because frankly you're only as good as your weakest link and they have a big one.

My friend decided on the spur of the moment to visit me in Saigon, she lives in Hanoi. So she flew down on a Friday night and right from the airport we went out and had a dinner drinks etc. She needed a place to stay so naturally I suggest my hotel. That's when it all went wrong wrong wrong. We rolled into the hotel around 1am and went up to my room and we were watching some TV, unwinding, when whaddya know the phone rings.

"We know you have a girl up there" I was told as if I was either a) a criminal corrupter of women or be b) a sex mongerer.

"Yes so?"

"She has to leave."

"Why"

"No unregistered guests after 10pm."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"No sir."

We went down to front desk to discuss this.

Me: "I'd like to register my guest"

Hotel: "Unmarried Vietnamese women are not allowed in hotels with men overnight."

Me: "So if she was not Vietnamese she would be allowed to register?"

Hotel: "Every Vietnamese woman knows this."

My Vietnamese friend: "I've never ever heard this before."

Hotel: Passive face, stony expression. Shrug.

Me: Pissed to high heaven.

My friend: Humiliated, made to feel like some cheap prostitute.

So what did I do? Went down the street to another hotel where we checked in with no problem.

After I got back home I raised this problem with PR and with Hotel management. I got a huge runaround. At no point was it communicated to me that there was a law in Vietnam stating that unmarried local women were not able to spend even a few hours in someone's hotel room after 10pm. I asked them why they did not communicate that to me upon check in as you'd think that would be a fairly important piece of information. No straight answer. They just showed me a PDF copy of the registration card I signed on check in which states very clearly (in fine print), "no unregistered guests after 10pm."

In lieu of the fact I was unable to get any kind of straight answer from the Park Hyatt Saigon management, the only thing I can conclude is that they deliberately suppress this information fearing that guests will simply go elsewhere if they know what that their overnight guests are going to be harassed and made to feel like cheap prostitutes.

It's a great hotel for foreigners, just don't try to bring your friends back there because apparently they are second class citizens in the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
16 Thank leemack
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, General Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at Park Hyatt Saigon.

This is a delicate and uncomfortable situation for both our guests and the hotel employees, however the law clearly states that all guests must be registered with the front desk. After 10 pm, Vietnamese Nationals are unable to occupy rooms unless they are married with proof of the nuptial. As an International hotel, we respect and abide by the country’s legislation and regulations.

We appreciate your comments on how this incident was handled, and will ensure that our employees communicate this in the most appropriate and sensitive manner when such a situation reoccurs.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Michael Golden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The service at the Park Hyatt is exactly what you would expect from a Hyatt: fantastic and bending over backwards to help you. Great staff and a beautiful hotel in a great location with wonderful food.

We stayed at the Deluxe Pool Room which was perfect for walking to and from the pool, avoiding the hassle of making a big trip down to the pool, it felt like having your own pool which you were sharing with everyone else! The room's outside space is nice and relaxed and feels private even though it's on the edge of the pool.

The bed is as hard as nails and both myself and partner had sore backs every morning! They need softer mattresses! The room itself feels small because of the way it is designed and with some odd furniture choices making it feel even smaller. It's also the wrong shape which doesn't help and with a buggy/baby stuff felt cramped.

The food and drink options are excellent. I recommend the Square One restaurant over the Opera one where we had to send a burnt pizza back but the staff not only took it off the bill they took off a couple of other things too! Square One will cook whatever you want which is just as well as there are limited vegetarian options for my partner. Excellent food and well priced wines too. Breakfasts at Opera are sumptuous.

They have a wonderful martini bar called 2 Lam Son which is very dark and cool with lovely cubby holes and a great atmosphere. Great for couples and impressing people on first dates!

The Spa treatments were excellent and great value combined with being friendly and strong. Babystiting service was very good too and needed for that romantic dinner!

Saigon itself is a strange city, not quite trying to be a tourist destination and definitely not family friendly but it has its charm and vibrancy and the people are lovely who ironically love caucasian kids!

We have a buggy with big wheels which is just as well trying to navigate the city's street pot holes and bikes parked across every walking path. Not to mention trying to cross roads where bikes and cars show no sign of stopping even when signals are red. With a buggy this is lethal. I saw no locals with buggies for good reason, they only use bikes! The malls here also don't have ramps and some don't have lifts making traveling with a buggy a nightmare.

Enjoy the hotel and the service and food but don't expect to see too much if you have kids!

Room Tip: deluxe pool room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have no words to say how much I enjoyed staying at this amazing hotel while visiting Ho Chi Minh City, in Vietnam. This place was so beautiful, luxurious, and comfortable that I couldn`t believe! It has an amazing ambience, very intimate and cozy. I also really enjoyed the restaurant and the bar there, and the service was awesome. The rooms were so welcoming, and the bed was incredible. Also, enjoying the swimming pool there was lots of fun. Everything about Park Hyatt Saigon was elegant and flawless, and I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and happy to hear you made use of our restaurants, bars, pool and the rest of the hotel's facilities. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2013

this was my second visit. the hotel is located excellent in the middle of the city. the overall experience is fantastic. my econcierge requests where answered quickly and Acknowledged by a personal email (which is not always the case). The pick up was quick and as ordered. the check in was done by a personal in room service, which was quick and efficient. I had booked a Deluxe Room and as a Diamond member I was upgraded to a Park Suite. The Suite was well maitained and all amenities offered. The hotel also operates a nice Spa and a beautiful swimming pool. F+B good quality, the room service Vietnamese Food was warm and tasteful. The dinner at Opera was ok. The Tortellini where overcooked but the cook acknowledged this. the Milanese was excellent, crunchy and fresh.
I would recommend this hotel without a shadow of a doubt.

Room Tip: the Deluxe Room at the Pool level are nice if you have some time to relax during the day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
It's wonderful to hear your feedback on your recent visit at Park Hyatt Saigon. As a Hyatt Gold Passport member, we do appreciate your continued support and happy we were able to make your stay with us more memorable. We pride ourselves in maintaining the best quality of product and service standards so please let us know if we may be of any further assistance, and hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Malaysia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in June this year for a conference and enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to return with my family in August. It is definitely a tad expensive but the rooms and the service is generally impeccable. Small thoughtful touches such as fresh fruit in our room, keeping the pillows as they are (we had connecting rooms for our two children and they would take the extra pillow in our room and the housekeeping kept them as they were) as well as recommendations for sightseeing, assistance with restaurant reservations etc made our trip memorable. The hotel is centrally located in a very nice part of the city and we could walk to most of the major city attractions which was nice. A lovely city/business hotel but probably less experienced handling families. We had very nice rooms overlooking the garden and pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is one of the best places for a workshop I have even experienced in my trainer's facilitator's career.
Great service, great organisation, hotel team always ready to help and solve problems that always happen in this kind of job.
Catering was also outstanding and made participants to this workshop appreciate the delivery even more.
Fantastic place, classy, friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
First and foremost, we thank you for hosting your seminar/workshop at Park Hyatt Saigon. Our Great Events = Hyatt campaign was implemented to ensure flawless execution on all our meetings and events, which includes tailor-made menus, service standards and state-of-the-art facilities (including a Bose sound system), to position ourselves as the best destination for MICE in Ho Chi Minh City. Therefore, we're happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience. Please do let us know if we can assist you further and hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I occasionally drop by 5 stars hotel in the city I live, either for their spa, either for their breakfast. And I'm happy to tell you that I finally experienced a real amazing one at Park Hyatt!
the buffet is huge, and full of all you need for a massive good day-starter! from cheese to cereals, poached eggs and of course, Bacon, the breakfast's Best Friend! ( and every other meal's best friend actually..)
and the most thrilling about this venue, is the service. finally a palace where you don't have arrive in Bentley and Armani Costume to be well treated. In most of Saigon's 5 stars hotel, I felt like I don't look rich enough to receive a high quality service, and from my point of view, that's the exact opposite of what a palace should offer! whether you go there in flip flop and short, or in golden suit, you should receive the same very high handed service from the staff! and I felt that Park Hyatt understood that very well. ( no worry I don't always hang out in flip flop and short, that was just for the example..;-) )
check also their lounge, with a great Piano, just for a tea in a quiet place with one of the best service in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, Director of Food and Beverage at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write about Park Hyatt Saigon, highlighting the breakfast served in Opera. We're happy that you enjoyed not only the food, but the service. We look to provide the best standards of hospitality and hope to welcome you back soon. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Philippe Borde