“Good location, unfriendly/unhelpful staff”

Hong Kong Kaiteki Hotel
Ranked #169 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is my first review but having used TA to research the hotel I felt it was necessary to inform others of my experience. Firstly this isn't a social option as the reception is small and often full of bags so not somewhere to go to mingle. My boyfriend and I have been traveling for six weeks around Asia but the reception staff here were the worst we've encountered. They constantly ignored us while continuing to talk/ laugh/ listen to their computer through earphones. We asked about going to the War Rememamts museum, we were told by the reception staff it was closed weekends? We quiered this having heard differently from fellow travellers. The receptionist continued watching and listening to her laptop and kept repeating that it was closed and she didn't need to check. Thankfully another guest of the hotel heard our conversation and confirmed he had just returned from the museum.
Hostel positives are a comfortable bed vs the typical Asian hard bed and close to the action in he main backpacking/bar area. Another strange issue was no new towels or room cleaning everyday which was a first in any hostel or hotel we had stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Megc00
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Kaiteki Hotel

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed in a capsule for $ 7. For such ridiculous money you get a perfectly clean bed, fresh air and all everything you need for sleep in this bustling district of Ho Chi Minh. We stayed at the beginning of our trip in another more expensive place in the next street and sleep on Friday was quite impossible! Here all is well with insulation! And very close to a variety of fun bars if you do not want to sleep at night.
Friendly staff. Clean. Interior very funny. I advise everyone to spend at least a night there! interesting experience to visit space)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

The capsules might be good, but we booked a double room and it was the worse hotel we stayed at in Vietnam (while never overpassing the limit of 20 $/night). There are plenty of better options in Saigon. Don't waste your money.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zuzana Z
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed recently in this hotel’s Business Capsule and I must say that this establishment is superb in a lot of way! It was my first time to travel out of my country, and a solo one, and I’m thankful for Kaiteki Hotel for making my courageous journey a pleasant and memorable one, especially with the fact that I’m an introverted person. So if you can relate to my personality, read on further. This review will basically reflect my experience in their business capsules. I’ve written a long review in this hotel’s Facebook page; so what I write here will basically be the same as the one in their FB page.

PRICE – At a price of 8USD for a sleep pod in the business capsule, I believe that it is cheap since the sleep pod offers great value for the money. Of course, the economy capsule would be cheaper and the rooms would be pricier. If you’re a tourist, which means that you will be going out of the hotel most of the time, then the sleep pods are a good choice for you. It can provide you with a great unit to sleep and rest after your tours or explorations in Saigon. The business capsule area is also like a hostel, allowing you to talk and socialise with your roommates while giving you some privacy if you needed it (thanks to the shade that you can lower and cover your pod). Additional Info: there’s a 3% additional payment if you pay by credit card, just like in some of the shops across the city.

STAFF – For an anxious, solo traveller who’s having his first out-of-the-country trip, I am so thankful for the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff in this hotel. Despite bits of communication confusion when conversing with the staff (my spoken English and my hearing is really bad, by the way), they never lose patience (or show that they’re losing patience), and questions and requests are addressed satisfactory. Their friendliness even begins before you will make your booking, because I had communicated with their representative via email to make enquiries. As a person who was planning to do a solo, out-of-country trip, I had so many questions to be sure that I will be safe. The hotel’s representative who attended to my emails was patient and helpful enough to provide the information I need. I also appreciate the friendly tone in her emails, which is something that I can be particular about.

AMENITIES – In my opinion, the hotel generally provides basic stuff that a travelling individual will require, at least in my experience while staying in a business sleep pod. Toothbrush and towel are provided to you upon check in, while you can find liquid bath soap, shampoo, tissues and toothpaste in the common bathroom but just don’t expect them to be found in standard positions or formations like the ones you see in guest rooms. Headsets and TV remote (you will have a TV in your sleep pod) can be requested. I do wish that they have hot-water showers, but I didn’t ask the staff if there were or how I could enjoy one.

FACILITIES – I believe that they are generally basic. But it won’t really matter especially when you’re out of the hotel for most parts of the day to do your explorations and tours. For your business sleep pod, you will have a cabinet locked by a key to keep your valuables safe. You will also have a bigger cabinet outside the pod but in the same floor you’re in. It is locked with an electronic system to keep your bags and clothes safe. The pod is spacious enough for big people, I believe. Just make sure you’re booking the Business Capsule, because it’s really worth it. I won’t recommend the Economy Capsule to claustrophobics. Speaking of claustrophobics and big people, the small elevator and the narrow stairs may not be suitable for them. If there’s another way upstairs aside from what I saw, I wouldn’t know because I did not ask.

LOCATION – I think the hotel is in a good place if you’re just planning to explore Ho Chi Minh. It’s a walking distance away to all the good places that a tourist will want to see. It’s also near a place where you can see lots of tourists like you hanging around on the streets at night. I read reviews about the hotel having noisy rooms due to the fact that it is beside a [disco?] bar. While it’s true that the bar is beside the hotel, I did not experience any noise from there. Well at least that’s what I experienced while staying in the hotel’s 5th level.

Generally, I believe that Kaiteki Hotel has offered a great-value deal to me, and it would be a great value to you too especially if you’re like me – introverted and shy who can’t generally do the first moves to do conversations, but a bit of an adventurer to explore the world despite language and communication barriers. I cannot express fully how I am so thankful for the people behind this hotel for being one of the reasons why my first out-of-the-country trip has been a pleasant and memorable one. Cam on rat nhieu, Kaiteki Hotel. I’ll look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Ethan L
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

What I say above nice staff and nice hotel ,had a nice stay there. Me had a double room without window was quiet and clean would every time book again. Hope you had fun with killing the bottle :-) maybe see u next time

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I arrived early to check in but was told to wait till 1pm even after I had put in request (which couldn't be met), leave my bag at the lobby, hotel staff tie them up together and issued a receipt to come back later and retrieve for check in. Hotel staff was friendly. The whole time there, receptionist kept my passport. Business class capsule was great (witnessed that they only change the sheets and didn't washed the comforter when check out on my last day!). Some capsules has spoilt usb ports, only one plug. Borrowed travel adaptor from receptionist, toilet was a bit stinky, couldn't find where the smell come from after i washed the whole shower area. They provide toiletries in the basket. Not great for socializing so much though i did made some friends. Staff were very good at recommending places. Quite near areas where tour agencies are and a few roads away to Ben Thanh market. There is no common room or kitchen. My stay was pleasant as i loved the personalized space i have in my capsule. It can be quite noisy if come with friends as many of them seems to be in the capsule looking for silence. So bring your ear plugs just in case.

Room Tip: Business Capsules are still more worth it and you wont get distracted by people walking past you as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We booked superior room for 4 nights from 22nd to 26th of May at a higher price of USD28 per night for the sake of window and view. Arrived there around 10.30am. Staffs were incredible rude! Treated us like we were invisible. Told us that we can't check in early which we don't mind and requested to leave our baggage while we walked around and have our lunch first before check-in at 2pm. Leaving our backpacks there meant to put it at the common seating area so which was not secure, might be taken away by any other guests anytime. We came back at 3.30pm and was given a room at level 3, room 301. Guess what, the room does have a window but view? NO! Once pulled the curtains open, you'll face a wall with terrible sightings! Disgusting! It was totally from what it had described in booking.com. This hotel should be more truthful to customers by describing the facts! Even though the room was big with a sofa bed right at the door entrance but bed was hard. We requested to change to another room or downgrade to standard room but was denied, claiming that all rooms were full. Fine! We requested to check out the next day as I'm not interested in staying there anymore with the lies, deceiving and outrageous attitude from the staffs. 1st day in Vietnam, never expect this kind of attitude, totally spoiled my day since when along the way to the hotel, we were greeted with warmness even though we are Chinese. At night, it was 10 times worse! Loud noise vibrated through from the pub 2 doors away. The lobby also had a foul smell which smelt like urinate. Sorry to say this but if you are looking for an accommodation, there are far more better hotels down the road at a cheaper price, with better services, better rooms and quieter at night. If not, good luck to you..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple