“A very good hotel”

Ranked #49 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Kilkenny, Ireland
“A very good hotel”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Four days in the Windsor Plaza hotel completed a wonderful two weeks in Vietnam.
The hotel reception is on the fourth floor, the first three being given over to a shopping area.
Staff in the hotel are quite outstanding, professional, cheerful and unfailingly helpful.
i had the misfortune to come down with a tummy bug on my first night (I ate in the fourth floor buffet but the jury remains out on the provenance of the bug). After a horror night and bad morning, thankfully I recovered. The management were very solicitous of my well being, delivering ginger tea and flowers to my room.
We upgraded to an executive suite which was well worth the extra cost, giving us the use of the executive lounge, laundry, a free bar and nibbles during happy hour (5-7pm), a late check out and several other comforts.
Breakfast was gargantuan in size and scope, though the Western options were average. This is not meant as a serious criticism because otherwise the repast was of the highest quality.
The hotel is located a few miles east of the city centre, accessible by hourly shuttle bus.
Would have no hesitation in staying again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Your review of your four day stay with us was very much appreciated. I was very pleased to read your comments about our staff who again expressed true Vietnamese hospitality and care. I am also pleased that you, like many other guests, enjoyed the specil benifits which are encompassed with an executive suite, also the hourly shuttle is always a big plus.. Thank you for staying with us and we certainly look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The property is a little way from the central area but makes up and more by the excellent service provided. I was delighted with the friendly and efficient service provided. Nothing was any trouble to them, from the bell boys to reception, to restaurant staff as well. It's clean, comfortable and homely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ajaya S
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Your review was, indeed, most encouraging. Your discovery of our well managed Vietnamese Hospitality was a delight to read, we like to refer to Windsor Plaza Hotel as your home away from home. With our location with offer to our guests a complementary suttle bus service to major destination points in the CBD. We look forward to welcoming your guest and our sincere thanks for your review.
Thailand
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Windsor Plaza is located in District 5 so a little out of the way for the center but they have regular shuttle services and taxis are cheap.

The hotel layout is a little odd with the reception and check in on the 4th floor.

The hotel is not a modern, 4 or 5 star hotel but I would describe as a more 'local' 4 star or perhaps an international 3 star (plus).

What struck me when i arrived very early in the morning was the warm and friendly welcome and a genuine feeling of wanting to be of service. I went to the 4th floor and check in was painless and very pleasant. I was upgraded, apparently a random guest gets upgraded every day, i was that days random guest.

The hotel is a little tired with typical beds for this type of hotel which are very firm, i like this but not everyone does. The bathrooms are a little tired but everything is clean, functional and in working order.

For me, the test of a successful stay is simply whether I would return or not and in all honesty, i would not hesitate to book this hotel again. My only criticism is their coffee was pretty awful but that's about my only issue and it certainly wouldn't stop me returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Like all reviews submitted by our guests all points raised are addressed and discussed by management. I was delighted to read that you would certainly return and your stay with us was indeed acceptable. Check in was handled professionally and with courtesy and you enjoyed your upgrade to the Executive Floor for your stay Thank you for your review and we look forward to your return.
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Great hotel with fantastic helpful staff. The staff at the Windsor Plaza are so awesome. I can not remember the names of all of them but they will help with anything they can. Go up to the bar on the 24th floor. The views are fantastic and the barman Tougue will mix you any conncoction you wish for. He is so friendly & helpfull. Then you have Tran the most expert customer service relation person I have ever met. Nothing is to hard for her. I will definately be staying there to my next visit to Saigon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Your review of your stay at Windsor Plaza Hotel has not only delighted me but all of our wonderful staff you had contact with who served you so well, and your comments have been passed on to each and everyone. We strive to ensure all of our guests receive the best and you certainly experienced to true meaning of hospitality, Vietnamese Hospitality. We will be delighted to serve you again on your return visit. Our most sincere thanks for your review.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Windsor last weekend.
Upon arrival we were communicated that we had been upgraded to an executive room.
Room was nice and comfortable.
The hotel have a free shuttle bus that every hour depart from hotel and stops in 5 location in District 1.
Sunday morning we checked out and left our luggage with the concierge to spent one more day around, before leaving to the airport later in the afternoon.
Unfortunately, walking downtown my wife badly twisted her ankle. Her foot rapidly swollen and she was in terrible pain.
We took a taxi back to the hotel.
When we arrived the hotelballman provide us with a wheelchair.
The staff invited us in the executive launge where my wife could confortably lay down on a couch.
The staff provided us with ice and a towel.
After a few minutes the hotel's manager come to check how my wife was and in a few minutes the hotel doctor came to visit her.
Everybody showed sympathy for her pain and tried to help.
We where invited to use the buffet of the executive lounge.
When our pick up to the airport arrived the hotel manager escorted us, together with a member of the staff to carry our lugagge, to the door.
We were very much moved from the behavier of the hotel staff. Even if we already checked out they were incredibly kind and helpful.
We wish to thank all the hotel management, the doctor and all the staff for their kindness.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RomChem
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Reading your review of your stay was most encouraging, and I am so pleased our staff were able to assist in every possible way after the unfortunate accident. You indeed truly discovered Vietnamese Hospitality. I trust all went well on your return journey and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights on a busineas trip. The hotel is located in district 5 and it isn't exactly a tourist area. Other than this pho-24 joint across from the hotel, it's kind of hard to find food within walking distance. The streets aren't exactly the easiest to navigate. The shopping center below the hotel that the website advertises as a place were you can buy anything, is nothing like the nice mallls that are connected to 5-star hotels in Singapore or Jakarta. While it is big center, the shops are more like cramped stalls with shop attendants/owners who speak zero English and are more busy talking with each other rather than attending your needs. The alleys were messy, it was hot inside and I couldn't find a food court.

Now the hotel itself, is older building and while the inside is clean and well maintained, it could use some interior updates. The lobby is decorated with this rich gold tone and it looks a little tacky. The receptionist was quite slow in checking me in, but doormen were very helpful with my bag, and whenever I had to get a taxi to work each morning.

Breakfast was decent. There were a lot of options to choose from, but the wait-staff service was almost non existent. I had a hard time finding a table on the first day and had to wait a long time to get my utensils on the next two mornings (they're not set on the table). I wonder if this's all because it was a busy several days with this big group of Singaporean middle schoolers also staying in the hotel.

My hotel room was very spacious, the bed was nice and comfortable, but it had a hint of musty smell and the bathroom was dark and it had this ugly green tiles they used on the walls. This doesn't really bother me tho, as I was only in the room at night to sleep. The hotel doesnt offer free wifi, but the pho resto across does. I ate there three nights in a row just to utilize the service (it also had decent food).

Swimming pool was on the top floor and it was tiny. It wasn't inviting enough and no one seemed to be interested in making use of it,

Overall, the place is an okay place to stay at if you're on a business trip like I was. For a 5-star hotel, it is probably a cheaper option compared to hotels in district one. However if you come on vacation, I wouldnt recommend staying here. The location is quite inconvenient, it's off a busy street and there isn't much to see, eat, or do within walking distance, unless you don't mind taking a cab everywhere.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Merlin T
werespond, Guest Relations Manager at Windsor Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Your review of your stay and comments are most important to us and the areas that you highlighted will certinally be addressed. As you stated we are not in the CBD however we do provide a complementary hourly shuttle service to various points in the CBD which is extremly well received by our guests.Ww thank you for your valuable comments.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed end of Jan 2103 for 3 nights with husband and friends. Nothing negative to be said, but not a very special experience either. Great views from the roof top bar. Much appreciated the frequent free shuttle to District 1. Had our dinners in the street "restaurants" nearby. Always good food, but once experienced a rip off - huge bill which we did not pay in full. Hotel breakfast very good, also their evening buffet looked nice but we preferred the street life.
A shopping center adjacent to the hotel. Favourite hobby was to sit in the corner cafe watching the traffic madness!

Room Tip: the higher the better!