My wife and I started our honeymoon in Vietnam with a 3-nights stay in the Windsor Plaza Hotel in Saigon. We were somewhat "bewildered" at arrival after a 20-hour trip, and hotel personnel were looking a bit strange at us and our backpacks (did we maybe smell like durian fruit? You are forebidden to take this into the hotel, if you have smelled it, you'll understand why). However, after they dug up our reservation for an “executive room” (made on splendia.com – great website!!!), we could immediately start to enjoy the amenities of the executive lounge on the 24th floor.
What was great about this hotel?
- Ecellent and large choice in breakfast
- Excellent room, although the dvd player was broken
- Complimentary minibar for executive room
- Complimentary drinks and appetizers in the executive lounge
- The wonderful cake we were offered in honour of our wedding
- The free shuttle to city centre
- The rooftop pool, that seemed to be reserved for us 2 only
- Very friendly staff
However, don’t forget you’re in Asia: they will still try to rip you off if they have the chance. We booked a few extras via the hotel/travel office of the hotel: a one day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels and the Cao Dai temple: very expensive, and not at all “authentic”. Worst thing about this 1-day trip: lunch in some tourist place where there was no Vietnamese in sight, except for the waitress. We also booked a private driver to the Mekong delta via executive reception (they strongly dissuaded us to take public transport). It was very well organized, but we paid 75$. Since we were only starting our trip, we didn’t have a clue that we were being robbed… But we got where we wanted to be in a very confortable car, which was nice. As always in Vietnam, the driver who was said to speak fluently English could barely understand us.
I was disappointed though that we had to pay for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. At first, the driver even refused to take us, since we didn't make reservations up front. Then, after a call with hotel reception, they did take us in the end (for I think it was 12$ per person). We were the only 2 in the minibus. Makes me wonder what and who they were waiting for at the airport, if in the end they did take only the 2 of us to the hotel...
All in all: great hotel for a fantastic price: I still find the executive room at 79$ per night excellent value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windsor Plaza Hotel offers authentic Vietnamese hospitality and world-class facilities. Key Features + 376 well-appointed rooms and suites + 3 award-winning restaurants and a terrace bar + Conference center with six meeting rooms + 2,000-person capacity Jade Ballroom + Fitness Center and swimming pool + Hourly shuttle bus to city destinations + Complimentary wireless internet ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Windsor Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Windsor Plaza