“Tough Find, but the Best Pho Yet!”
Review of Ru Restaurant - CLOSED

Ru Restaurant
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This place is temporarily closed. Reopen date still unknown. Ru - v. to rock; to sing a lullaby to sleep Reminisce, Rediscover, Reinvent. Here, at ru. pho bar, we take the utmost pride; from conception, to preparation, and presentation, for each and every dish, preserving old family recipes from past generations and recapturing lost authentic Vietnamese flavors from a time before 1975. Conceptually, we specialize in the variability of pho rice noodles; whether it be served with soup base, fried, or rolled, exploiting the many uses of this country's staple food. This is truly a hidden gem in Vietnam for countless reasons: beautiful artistic setting, Zen-like ambience, and traditional yet relevant dishes. You can rest assured in knowing that our chef uses only the best in select organic products, and high quality Australian beef, without ever any use of flavor enhancing additives such as MSG, or added preservatives, setting us apart from any other typical local restaurant located in Vietnam. Hunt for this hidden gem! Admittedly not easy to find, we are purposely situated beyond the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City, along the northern outskirts of District 1. Located near the infamous pink church and behind the Tan Dinh Market; perpendicular to Tran Nhat Duat facing Dang Tat, residing in Alley 27. When you see the Blue Moon Restaurant and the Asian High School, you are in the right area! Look out for Alley 27 between those two spots, with Saigon Academy down the alley facing us. Remember that nothing worth having comes easy... ru. pho bar ...Where True Vietnamese Flavors Meet a Touch of Modern Flair No MSG, No Preservatives, Select Organic Products, and High Quality Australian Beef Open Everyday from 10am-10pm
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Words cannot express how happy my mouth is after a splendid Ru meal. Both food and service are impeccable. It's worth the trip here!

2  Thank mssales

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Excellent place to taste some authentic Vietnamese food (try their Pho or Bun Thit Bo Xao Xa), no added MSG, friendly owners, efficient service, cozy atmosphere, and all that at reasonable prices! Highly recommended!

1  Thank Yves9000
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It was an excellent dinner treat by my lovely Vietnamese friends, who are so kind to take me to this great place.
Friendly staff welcome yous, nice decor in shades of light green and purple and other natural colours, comfortable seating with choice of indoor or outdoor of this two levels building. And of course....superb authentic Vietnamese cuisine, with artistic presentation and totally organic as the resto has its own herb garden to supply the kitchen.
A highly recommended place to have a nice dinner when you come to HCMC... (y)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I thought my mom made the best Vietnamese food until I came to Ru. It's authentic Vietnamese food with a modern twist. The staff was very welcoming and friendly, especially since Vietnamese wasn't my first language. I got the Pho with some spring rolls on the side. The spring rolls tasted delicious and the veggies were very fresh. The pho was probably the best i'ver ever had, literally ever. If you're looking for that authentic Vietnamese food without having to search through the unforgiving streets of Ho Chi Minh city, Ru Pho Bar is the place to go.

1  Thank Anthony D
Reviewed October 30, 2013

While in Ho Chi Minh City, I was brought to this hidden restaurant by a family member which recommended this place for its Pho and rolls (such as spring rolls and egg rolls). Don’t be surprised to be taken to a small cul-de-sac street where you wouldn’t really expect a restaurant of this kind. Truly a hidden, surprising gem… Décor was a mixture of artistic, quietness, soothing and almost of an old soul, old movie times-like. Definitely not your typical, traditional Vietnamese restaurant! You wouldn’t come here for people watching since it’s not located in a busy street. But for private conversation, it’s perfect.

Since I’m not a big eater (yet always like to have my dessert, no matter how full I am), I was happy to see that they offer a lunch set menu which combined a reasonably sized bowl of pho (choice of chicken or beef) with two spring rolls plus a dessert. My cousin ordered the lunch set menu with the bowl of chicken pho and eggrolls and dessert while I had picked the Beef Pho with spring rolls and dessert (the healthier version in my eyes!). The spring rolls not only looked fresh, but tasted deliciously fresh! And during a moment of weakness, I couldn’t help taking a bite of the crispy mini egg rolls (mini in comparison to American standards). All were soooo amazing delicious. I love the fact that they used the real Vietnamese rice paper here, which makes it super crispy and even more authentic tasting (instead of the yellow, chinese wrapper which typically feels greasier upon bite). And to me, the typical yellow wrap that is now used to make eggrolls, is not the true Vietnamese way!

Then came my bowl of pho. The soup came at a surprisingly hot temperature (almost steamy hot) which I didn’t mind, cause it tasted really fresh out of the stove. Not a typical Pho lover, but this was pretty tasty Pho. I was happy to hear that everything is prepared MSG-free here.

Then finally, came the dessert. You had a choice of flan, chilled tofu or these mini banh da lon. My cousin had the mini banh dan lon (though original in taste to my recollection, never seen this mini version before) and I the chilled sweet Tofu (I’ve always eaten this version hot). Both were delicious, and I loved the fact that they both reminded me of something I ate in my youth, yet with a slight added variation here and there, with a beautiful, almost “nouvelle cuisine” presentation! Never expect to find such a classy version of popular Vietnamese dishes, out of today’s food in Vietnam.

The beauty of coming here at least with two people, and ordering the lunch combos, is that you get to taste a little bit of everything. So will definitely come back and try other things on the menu.

One of the area of opportunities that I see here would be more trained, English-speaking waiters. Though very helpful and attentive, they are a little bit shy, and you can barely hear clearly the answers to your questions.

Go discover this little gem, away from the the loud and busy streets of Ho Chi Minh City.

3  Thank annamx