“Wait what...did you hear that rooster crow?”

Secret Garden Home-cooked Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #195 of 4,981 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Secret Garden home-cooked vietnamese restaurant is located on the rooftop of old building serving vietnamese authentic foods.
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

You realize it is a slightly touristic restaurant when you find a rooster crowing from within a tiny cage in the middle of the restaurant with the sole purpose of entertaining the guests.
The restaurant is very characteristic. You need to climb few floors of stairs, ending up in a rooftop with a splendid view.
The food and the service are quite adequate as well. Nothing spectacular in my opinion, but I have nothing particular to complain about.
Overall a good restaurant. Give it a try if you want a taste of Vietnam (and I am not just talking about the food).

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

So glad we stopped by secret garden. Absolutely divine food and great value. Would recommend to anyone and would come back. Try and get a spot on the edge of the restaurant outside so you can enjoy the city view

Reviewed June 8, 2019 via mobile

Somewhat hidden, this is a great place to get a local taste and you see a good mix of local people and foreigners here yet you don’t feel very tourist. The home cooking menu has plenty of choices and the food were just good! Do bare in mind that it’s a outdoor place and no air conditioning so can be somewhat hot in the middle of summer days.

Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

The location is interesting, and the garden is nice. My snails and chicken were both over cooked, and no other dishes were especially delicious. I would not go back, and if you have a limited time in Saigon, I would find better food elsewhere. Disappointing.

Reviewed June 6, 2019 via mobile

Just finished our last dinner in Vietnam before heading back to our home country. We wanted to try Secret Garden based on the good reviews on TripAdvisor and our tour guide’s recommendation. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed. We ordered four dishes, some of the dishes I wanted because my mother made them for my family growing up. The first two were great (sticky rice with shrimp and pork & caramelized chicken with ginger), the last two were terrible. Our last dish was tofu with minced ground pork in a tomato sauce, my favorite dish that my mom used to make. The pork was so undercooked that we could not eat the dish at all, entirely dark pink throughout the meat. We bothered to not say anything because of reviews stating rude and poor service. In addition, I saw reviews that stated cats and chickens were in the restaurant. I do not mind cats being around in the establishment. However, it was concerning that the waitresses were holding the cats in their arms when they are the ones who also handle our food. Our bill came- not only was it bothersome to be charged for two white rice instead of one (while most Vietnamese restaurants don’t even charge for white rice at all), we were charged for the two wet wipes/napkins given to us at the beginning of the meal. What a disappointment of our last dinner in Vietnam. I do NOT recommend this restaurant at all.