“A Way from Centre of Saigon”

Ramana Hotel Saigon
Ranked #174 of 475 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed here as it seemed to be somewhere relatively convenient to the airport the night before I left Vietnam. I was really happy with this hotel and wish I could have stayed longer. I'm not sure how handy it would be to the sightseeing locations in district 1, but it wasn't that much more expensive than a 3 star I stayed in in district 1, and Ramana was a much nicer place. The service was excellent and the rooms were very nice and comfortable. The business centre is open 24hrs and the cafe downstairs seemed very good. There is also a great gift shop.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3nights and found the staff very friendly. It is located away from the usual tourist hub. But still only a 20 minute walk to the central city (Reunification Palace etc). The gym had very dated equipment but adequate. There are some local markets within a few minutes walk too, where you can grab breakfast on the run or do some shopping. The Spa which is located on level 4 is open 24hours if you wish to get a massage (I would definitely recommend one at only USD$14 per person for 1 hour). The only thing we didn't like was the live band which plays in the lobby during the evening, we didn't mind the music, it was just too loud to enjoy whilst eating your meal. The noise from the band or the traffic outside could not be heard from our room and the beds are very comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank towzer00
Reviewed January 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed over Christmas. Staff were more than helpful. They really could not have been nicer. Food was very good. Rooms nice enough, hot water, no problems with AirCon. Hotel is located about 10 minutes from centre (3 us $ by taxi - use Vinasun - were reliable and honest). The location isn't the most scenic but gives you a good idea of local life - close to traditional Market, some nice clothes shops, small pharmacies etc.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank OdyTempest
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed here for one night before flying home from HCM City and in all honesty I was pleased it was only the one night.
The hotel is adequate for a one nighter, the rooms are in little out dated and require a major refurb but are clean. On a positive note the staff were friendly and were happy to help. We left the hotel to find a restuarant for dinner, but having walked a total of thirty minitues could not find one. We ended up going back to the hotel and eating the buffet there which was overpriced and not the best.
This is not one of the best 4 stars in HCM City and I would recommend keeping a wide birth and choosing another even if it is further from the airport.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2010

The Ramana is a nice 4-Star hotel away from District 1.

Good service from hotel staff. All staff are friendly and speak English. Hotel management competent and professional.

Room was clean, but a little dated. Bathroom was nice - Bathtub with separate shower stall and brightly lit sink/vanity. Hot water came out instantly and water pressure is good.

Air conditioner works great. Can control from Low to High setting from bedside control panel. Free in-room wifi with decent speed.

Only a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the airport depending on traffic. Hotel lobby, dining area, and bar/cafe seem to have been renovated recently. Good selection of diverse foods from the kitchen. Bar tenders were smart and gave good advice about the city.

Liked Best: Friendly service, helpful staff.
Liked Least: Window partially blocked by next building over.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NinjaExpat
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We were booked into this hotel by Jetstar when they cancelled a flight. The hotel is large and impersonal. The room we were allocated was old and the woodwork around the edges definately needed updating. The view from the window was of a brick wall about 2inches from the window. The double room bed was very small by hotels of this *rating eg. double australian size not queen or larger.

The hotel and in particular the room that we were allocated stunk of cigarettes and smoke.

Worse for us was that we couldn't seem to use the phone in the room and rang the operator to assist - he said he would fix and ring us back - after 1/2 hour he hadn't. So I went to the business centre where the phone also didn't work. Then went to reception and the manager rolled his eyes at me when I asked why the phones don't work he then let me go into his office to make a call.

When we arrived at this hotel there appeared to be little eating options around the hotel so you may be stuck with the hotel food. Which I am sure would be OK for a couple of nights but you could need some variety if staying longer.

We ended up leaving after approx 2 hours as this is definately not the type of hotel that suits us. Our $50 backpacker family room in District 1 was far more stars than this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Lou_and_Paul
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We spent one night in the ramana as we had to overnight in ho chi minh.... It was dreadful. We had booked on line and prepaid 48 hours before but as it had been a national holiday their own system had not been updated and they had no record of our booking. We had confirmation by email which we repeatidly sent to their email to no avail- we ended up paying to print it in the morning when the buisness centre opened. The front desk called us continually until almost midnight to tell us he had not recieved the email despite us showing it to him on our phones. It was extreamly stressful. The hotel itself is tired, big, and impersonal and even for a one night layover I would avoid - there is far better in HCMC

• Stayed: September 2010