“Over-priced and half-filled drink cups”

L'amour Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #68 of 146 Dessert in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Near Annam Gourmet on Hai Ba Trung, this place features baked goods in the window. The chocolate croissant (pain au chocolat) is ok. Haven't tried the other small quiches yet. These pastries are more expensive than Annam Gourmet, for example, which is already expensive. But what really got me is that I ordered a juice, the 'signature' drink L'amour juice. Cost of 69,000vnd or about $3.50usd. Their juices are supposed to be a mix of fresh juices. This one had mulberry, grapefruit, passionfruit and probably something else. I saw them pouring juice from a bottle, but maybe they made it earlier. Maybe. The staff put the drink in a plastic bag to take away, and I didn't think anything of it. But when I stopped to take a drink, I saw that the cup was about 3/4 full of ice and 1/2 full of liquid. Really? Expensive and then not even a full drink? That's the last time I'll go there. I should have known better.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

If it's about food, the food have to be good. L'Amour apparently is about everything else; glamour? style? love? price? (It's way over for the quality they offer). I may be a sucker for many thing but not these things at L'Amour.

1  Thank CoyVing
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stumbled upon this bakery while looking for dessert at night. The bakery showcases delicious looking pastries, so we bought chocolate ice cream, crossnut, velvet cake slice, chocolate cake slice, mini chicken pot pie, and pork puff pastry. We took all of it back to our hotel and threw almost all of them in the garbage after tasting them.

Crossnut = delicious (even the employee was eating it in front of us while ringing us up)
Velvet cake = stale, dry, tasteless (must be days old)
Chocolate cake = stale, dry, tasteless (must be days old)
chicken pot pie = no chicken present, just peas, carrots and grease
pork puff pastry = greasy but tasty
ice cream = delicious

3 stars for crossnut, ice cream, pork puff pastry

Reviewed November 16, 2013

You can queue in that one place in NYC, and get two at most at a time. Or maybe if you're loaded, pay someone $50 to wait for you. Or if you happen to be in SGN, you drop by here, and pick up as many as it takes to put you in a diabetic coma. No need to overthink this one. Your pancreas will eventually forgive you.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The crossnuts here are absolutely amazing! Well worth coming especially for. Even the pastries are good takeaway to recommend!