“Good food, great staff”
Review of Hatvala - CLOSED

Hatvala
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Hatvala is a stylish bistro restaurant, coffee shop and tea house in the heart of District 1. Our restaurant serves Vietnamese cuisine with international style presentation. We use fresh, local ingredients, do not use MSG and are light with salt and oil in our cooking. The restaurant style is all-day casual rather than fine dining but we offer a good value, varied and interesting menu including breakfasts, set lunches, soups, starters, mains, desserts and monthly or seasonal specials. A selection of beers and wine is also available. We also specialise in high quality, pure Vietnamese teas and coffee (some of which are organically produced) which you can enjoy on their own or with your meal. We offer a free tea tasting service subject to availability and sell tea leaves and coffee beans in packs to take away. We look forward to welcoming you.
San Diego, CA
“Good food, great staff”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I ate here since it was close to my hotel and based on TA reviews. The food was good and the staff was very attentive. The staff were eager to practice their English skills with us, which were very good to start with. We ate upstairs with a good view of the hustle of Saigon below.

• Visited October 2013
Thu Ngoc N, Owner at Hatvala, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. We hope that you enjoyed your time in Vietnam and your visit to our restaurant. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and service and will pass your comments on to our staff.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
“Average”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Agree with Mary M, the meal was average. We ordered the duck; it had crispy skin but the tamarind sauce was overwhelming. We also had the baked fish in banana leaf, which was overdone. For the price you are paying, you can get much more elsewhere in Ho Chi Minh City. The restaurant was clean and the staff were attentive. Would recommend going elsewhere for more authentic Vietnamese food.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Globetrotter806
Thu Ngoc N, Owner at Hatvala, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are clearly disappointed at having our efforts summed up as average. I have discussed your specific points on the food with the kitchen. We will look again at the tamarind source although this is usually very popular with our customers and has been praised in several previous reviews. Our apologies for the fish not being cooked to your requirements.

We remain convinced our prices are extremely competitive for a central District 1 location (particularly as we are one of few places that does not add on VAT and/or service to the quoted prices) and we benchmark these with other establishments regularly. I will be interested to read the reviews of the other HCMC restaurants which you recommend for better value for money and more authentic food.
Dublin, Ireland
“average at best. can't understand the great reviews”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We just ate dinner here based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, but we would not go back. The food was distinctly average at best. For Vietnam, it wasn't cheap either. I had the seafood soup in coconut and it was not very nice. In fact, I didn't eat it. It was very gelatinous and not particularly pleasant. We had soft shell crab to start which was fine. My boyfriend ordered squid stuffed with pork and the squid was extremely chewy. The staff were pleasant, the restaurant was clean, but the food was not something I would want to eat again. A very disappointing experience overall.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Mary M
Thu Ngoc N, Owner at Hatvala, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always disappointing when someone's visit does not meet up with expectations. I have passed your specific comments on the food to the kitchen as we continuously strive to improve our standards.

It is the policy of our restaurant to check customer's satisfaction during and at the end of their meal. I understand that our manager spent some time talking to you but that there was no indication that you were dissatisfied with either the food or service. It is a shame that it was not possible to address any issues while you were in the restaurant.

With regard to prices we are confident that ours are extremely competitive for a central District 1 location where as you can imagine costs are significantly higher than other areas of Vietnam.
New South Wales, Australia
“Great food but small meals”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The food was fantastic for starters! The first time I had grilled squid and it was very tasty and the size wasnt to bad. The second time we came here i got the stuffed squid the size was fine but my partner got the grilled squid (which i had the night before) and it was so very small. I dont know if they had a different chef on but he was very dissapointed about his meal. For the price you pay at this place i think standard sizing is essential. My mother got bbq pork ribs of which she only got 2 ribs. I know its not a western country but i think the meals need to be a little bit bigger.

• Visited October 2013
Thu Ngoc N, Owner at Hatvala, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post your comments. We are very happy that you enjoyed your food but are very disappointed that there was a problem with the meal size - particularly in that there was inconsistency between your two separate visits. Our aim is to provide good value for money and to serve generous sized meals that will satisfy all appetites. Clearly something has gone wrong with our portion control during the time of your visit. Please accept my sincere apologies and hope that it did not affect your enjoyment too much.
London, United Kingdom
“Special one!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hatvala is special! The restaurant is nice, cozy, colourful, with original interior design ad furniture. The food is delicious and you won’t regret to spend a bit more: prices are a bit higher comparing to other restaurant, but money well spent! May I suggest you some courses?! Fresh or Deep fried spring rolls are amazing, the Grilled Seafood Skewer with Rice in Pineapple is unique, Crispy Sautéed Noodle with Seafood has a flavour that I won’t forget. So if you are in Ho Chi Min City, and you find this restaurant, well… grab a chair and order some great food!

• Visited August 2013