“Great location, comfortable and friendly”

Saigon River Boutique Hotel
Ranked #103 of 462 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel was absolutely fabulous. It was in the best location, surrounded by beautiful restaurants and shops but just far enough away from the crazy bit of town to feel relaxed and get a good nights sleep.

Every morning we headed up to the roof top bar and had a beautiful breakfast and amazing coffee and planned the day, it was a real escape and sometimes we didnt feel like leaving!!

A lot of thought has been put into the decor, with a stylish european twist. The thought that has gone into the decor reflects the care the owners and staff have for the customers. The decor is like no other hotel I saw in saigon, sophisticated, stylish and comfortable.

The staff couldnt have been more helpful and really made our stay. They were extremely informative and Daniel spoke amazing english which makes things very easy!!! People must appreciate and respect his amazing work ethic, especially being so young.

I can't understand why anyone would make a negative comment, particularly the ' crappy' comment. I can't believe any of that would be true, he must have been in the wrong country to make such racist remarks!!

I can't wait to go back I will definitely stay there again, especially being so cheap.

Thank you so much guys. Can't wait to come back. The kids are ready to come back!!!!

Room Tip: Family room, fabulous.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you so much for the very positive review. It made me think you must have an understanding of hospitality and that you appreciate fully, the intention behind running SGR Hotel.
It was a joy to have you staying with us with your delightful children and it made us happy to see our room family room fully utilized, creating a happy atmosphere for the hotel.
In creating the hotel we took care to provide interiors of a less traditional nature and in doing so hope that the more contemporary design was a refreshing environment to come home to every day.
I agree with you about the positive location of the hotel and although I spend almost everyday there I never loose a fascination for the vibrancy of that particular slice of historic District one.
Thank you for your compliments directed to our senior staff member Daniel who always works so hard to make everyone happy and has developed quite a Western sense of humor that adds to the fun. I think he is blessed with a real desire to care for people and I am endlessly grateful for his contribution to the life of the hotel and for slowing the rate that my hair turns grey.
It would be a total joy to welcome you and your family back to SGR Hotel and trust that it will be in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Spent 3 nights here in early May as a first stop in Vietnam. I chose this hotel after diligent searching because of cost and value along with location.
Was pleasantly surprised and pleased with my choice. Had a lovely room with tiny balcony facing the street which was not over noisy. While I think the rooms could be jazzed up a little more to match the dynamic foyer, it was comfortable, very clean and even numerous TV channels in English werer available. Breakfast was on the roof terrace, a little meagre with one choice of dish and a drink but very adeqaute. Candidly can't fault anything, and the manager was most helpful and obliging.
I would HIGHLY recommend this place when staying in Ho Chi MInh City for value and high standard. Close to the river, other large hotels and several restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms with 401/501 and so on face the front with small balconies, and are calssified deluxe but well...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank your for your positive review of our hotel as it is important to us that our guests have a rewarding time whilst in our care.
For our breakfasts we offer an inclusive, simple but good quality selection which enable travelers to stay with us when either they are either not terribly interested in eating a large breakfast, or when they aim to travel on a smaller budget. We have a second menu with a broad range of choices of both Western or Asian dishes and all dishes on this menu are optional and offered at additional and extremely affordable prices. Perhaps our new waiter may not have offered this menu to you, so thank you for commenting, so we can draw this matter to the attention of our waiting staff.
I hope that the rest of your travels in Vietnam were enriching and fun.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Good little hotel at river end of HCMC. (It overlooks the Sheraton.)
Good service from the Hotel team.

Satisfies these key items when booking a hotel in VN:

* Rooftop bar /eating
* Elevator (To level 5)
* Good air con
* Large room with Window
* Large room with balcony

Would stay again.

Room Tip: As with all hotels in VN ... go for front or back room with a window. Spend a little extra and the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you very much for your succinct review and yes we certainly aim to provide all the key items as best we can, so thank you for your encouragement, which is most appreciated by both staff and management.
I greatly pleases us when we feel that our guests have left feeling happy and that their stay has been comfortable and that they have felt cared for.
Trust we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you again for taking the time to express your satisfaction on Trip advisor.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This small hotel is in a great location, the staff from Daniel & Kelvin on reception to the fabulous food cooked with care on the rooftop garden. Tim & Graeme are dedicated to quality of the hotel and
service as are the people that work there. Daniel planned all my last minute trip to islands, Mekong, air fares etc., was no trouble at all for Daniel. Highly recommend this hotel for travellers who are looking for a friendly welcoming environment. The rooftop garden is a fab meeting point for guests to chat, read, have a drink or snack.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel are quiet, front rooms action over the bustling street
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

I am often amazed when travelers respond really quickly, with a review on Trip Advisor and am equally surprised and delighted when a review pops up, written by a guest whose stay was not that recent. Surprise surprise and on this occasion many positive memories were kindled regarding your time with us. You were indeed a fun guest to have staying with us and everyone hopes that you return again before too long. You were kind and inclusive with our staff and they in turn felt comfortable and happy, hoping to make your stay a special one.
We were very happy that your on going travels, organized by our senior staff member Daniel, worked out well for you, but suspect also that you have the great capacity to make the most of every situation and what a joy that is.
Many Thanks!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Arrived in HCM around midday, went to hotel to check in. No-one at desk, bell boy said I have to wait, they are having lunch. Noticed some other people also waiting (Koreans, very polite). Being English, I said I am not going to wait, I want to check in now please. Bell boy phoned someone, then said reception will be down in 20 minutes. I said, down in 5 minutes or I find another hotel. Reception guy (not happy) came down in less than 5 minutes.
He looked at my passport, said "I can't see your visa for Vietnam". I said its there or I would not be allowed in the country. He said, if you have no visa you cannot stay here.
I asked for my passport back, I picked up my bags, walked out of hotel, down the road 50 metres to the Business Hotel, said, you have a room? No problem, checked in, nice room, good friendly staff. Saigon River? Don't waste your time.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank hdgh29

I recently enjoyed hearing the manager of one of the worlds top hotels speak and particularly remember him saying " I do not believe in detail, as everything I attend to is of equal importance."
It was most upsetting to read your review, which I would not necessarily say was particularly British. Needless to say I have looked closely into as many 'details' as possible to ascertain what kindled such a negative response.
As you know our hotel is small and that is usually a positive, but that also means that we do not have a huge number if staff, so on this occasion we were a reception staff member short. Daniel our senior receptionist was having lunch and I have never noted another occasion when he has been called to reception, that he has not come immediately.
You seem to have quite a lot of dialogue with staff in the lobby and congratulations for that, as the young man on duty is quite new and has limited English and suspect that you do not speak Vietnamese. No one said that a staff member would be down in 20 mins. So I suggest that is an indication that there was a general break down in communication.
The issue with your visa certainly needed to be clarified and our receptionist was simply carrying our his responsibilities in a professional manner. Indeed you may well have been able to enter the country, but the issue you needed to address was, had your visa into Vietnam expired?
You had stayed at our hotel on a prior occasion, so can only presume that your stay then was enjoyable, otherwise why return I would ask? Our staff remember your last arrival as it happens and felt at a loss how to best serve you, bearing in mind colonial times have well past. I really want our guests to always feel welcome, well cared for in a happy and creative environment, but know too, that is not always possible and like individual personal relationships, ' things' just don't work out and often that is through a lack of good communication. Not sharing a common language does not help the situation of course, but generally this is not a problem, and can often be last of the fun of being off your home turf. Many thanks!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

When i booked this hotel i wasn't expecting much other than a basic budget hotel but i went ahead and booked it anyway from the 9/4/2014 to 28/4/2014 and i was more than pleasantly surprised when i arrived. After a little overcharging by the taxi the lovely modern entrance with bespoke and unusual furniture cooled me to a nice temperament lol ... i was greeted by Daniel (manager) who was very charming and happy to help at any time should i so needed it, the cleanliness of the hotel was second to none and the rooms were air conditioned and modern with very comfortable beds. As the days went by i met almost all the staff who always greeted me with a smile and friendliness and always seemed genuinely happy to see me, i felt like i had been welcomed into someones home and Graham and Tim (owners)were always up for a chat without being intrusive which to me are the perfect hosts. The roof top cafe/bar is a lovely touch and albeit not big is very accommodating and cosy with beautiful views and again the staff are always happy and on hand to help. I would gladly recommend this hotel for any traveller whether you on a budget or not, now its not the Ritz but give me the Saigon River Boutique anyday. Thank you to all the staff and management for making my first trip to Saigon a very happy safe and memorable one

Room Tip: if your a light sleeper the rooms away from the road outside would be better but being honest i had...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

What a totally splendid review, so thank you so much for sharing your positive memories, especially when I am sure you must have been still battling jet lag, such a curse after long haul flights.
It was a total pleasure for all our staff, to care for you in our hotel. After chatting with you I know that you are heavily involved in the hospitality industry and perhaps because of that understood our intent, in regards to what we quest to provide for our hotel guests. I am tempted to want to embrace many of our guests simply as friends of the hotel and certainly during your stay with us, this quickly became the case. You were so caring of our staff and that is always a joy for me, as they are good people, who by and large have come from far from privileged back grounds, but who have stopped calling me "Mr Stickler", as they all develop their own standard of professionalism in their respective areas of service.
Our roof top area has become a lovely little retreat and how delighted am I that our new staff member Patrick enjoys gardening as much as me. I am sure if plants could talk they would express the same sentiments as me.
To our great delight I understand that you are planning to return later in the year and what a pleasure that will be. Many thanks!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was my first trip to Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh. What a great hotel to stay in! So close to everything,We walked everywhere discovering the markets and local food which I love.
The hotel had great staff who were not just good at their job but were fun and very helpful. This is a small hotel but clean, well run and made our stay just the greatest. We want to go back NOW.

Room Tip: A front room gets a balcony overlooking the road, but the street sounds did not keep us awake all.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

I am so glad that you took time to write a review for our small hotel and it was a delight for me to see that you and your partner so evidently enjoying yourselves. Our staff are so important to me as an owner of the hotel and I have always valued their contributions as individuals in their respective areas of service, but have always encouraged a broader sharing of knowledge, especially in regards to the running of the hotel. How wonderful for me to see that you were so open to share your professional skills In hospitality and obviously having fun with our staff as they guided you through some local knowledge tips in the same arena. What a vibrant time, so thank you for the spirit you brought to our hotel, where our aim is always to provide a more intimate level of hospitality, without being too intrusive.
Very best wishes for your future travel and hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.