“Cute little boutique hotel”

Saigon River Boutique Hotel
Ranked #98 of 447 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cute little boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Situated close to the Saigon river with a small corner view of the river from the rooftop, this hotel is truly a boutique hotel. The staff are super helpful and professional. They found me taxis, motorbikes, and a pharmacy. Rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The bathroom is big and clean.

Breakfast is served on the rooftop with a view of the Saigon river. A very good way to start your morning. Staff are very eager and willing to help you with whatever you need.

1 Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is my first time at this hotel although not by any means first time in HCMC, and it is quite a find, the staff are exceptional, i.e. when my laptop adaptor broke, a staff member was asked if he would go by motorcycle to the 'electrical' area and procure me a replacement, not only that but I was offered use of their laptop if all else failed. I also returned one afternoon to discover that the lady cleaning my room spent over 10 minutes to eradicate a mosquito which she knew was there (and I HATE mosquitos). The rooms are comfortable, I had one of the small windowless rooms but was perfectly adequate for my needs, plenty of hot water and good toiletries. The breakfast room on the roof terrace has great view of the Saigon River, but building work on a tall tower almost next door has spoiled some of the view. Breakfast itself is a la carte, but is adequate if not bountiful and the view & breeze makes up for that. Location and staff deserve 6 stars, and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms per floor, two superior (with windows) & one standard (without window) but unless y...
1 Thank philter1000
hestercoombe, Manager at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
As many of our guests comment, yes our location is excellent and how often have we heard location, location, location, when it comes to real estate. I am sure you will agree with me that when it comes to hospitality that it is also, staff, staff, staff. I am so proud of our staff and what is special about them, even the mosquito hunter, is that they naturally love to care for people and to make them feel welcome. This can come to some degree for training, but that often has a shallowness and can irritate as much as flatter. Thank you for expressing you appreciation, it certainly makes me happy to hear that guests have been well cared for, but kind remarks are always well noted by our staff and are so encouraging.
I fees less comfortable about the breakfast being simply adequate and it is a little dilemma we have to address. Breakfasts are included in the room rate and we do offer additional dishes to expand the variety of dishes, as well as the guest tummy, but of course at an additional, but hopefully realistic cost. We really endeavor to keep our room rates as low as possible, as we make an effort to welcome a variety of travelers in a variety of budgets. Getting back to the hotel's location, one has to be aware that this is possibly the most prestigious area of Saigon, as well as the most historic, so simply cannot attempt to compare to say the Backpacker area, or areas further from all the main tourist attractions.
I guess life is about choice and balance and thanks to the varied comments from travelers we are able to look at what we offer, constant evaluate how we can provide the best possible level of services, in a realistic way.
Love to hear your comment about a six star rating for our hotel, but suspect your own spirit and humor would have certainly acted as a catalyst, to our staffs level of care.
We have many return guests and how enjoyable is that? We hope that you will indeed be one of them in the near future and for now, best wishes for your travels.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Surprisingly design furniture and modern atmosphere. Breakfast is not buffet, so you get only one meal andare one drink from the menu. Location is amazing andare very central, 50mt from the main shopping street. Highly recommended if you are looking for a very practical solution andare you do not care too much about frills.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nenefirst
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Even when technology is so much at our finger tips today, I am still impressed when guest take time to write hotel reviews, when there is so much else to do whilst traveling.
What attracted us as owners to this hotel, was the location and in fact we lived in the hotel for the first six months of development and later operation. Like you having everything so accessible remains a major advantage as does the charm of the area, tree lined and laid out by the French.
We chose to develop this hotel along more contemporary lines, which is particularly evident in the hotel lobby, and hope with time for other areas of the hotel to further develop its creative edge.
At this stage we tend to be no frills, but hope what ever we offer is of good quality. Breakfast for instance is included in the room rate price and we try to keep this rate as low as possible, to make our hotel accessible to a broad range of travelers. One can of course also order from our more extensive menu and have to say that our young chef provides very well, with a good understanding of Vietnamese, Italian and Thai dishes.
Every week we make changes to the hotel and staff continue to develop their expertise, so I hope you can become one of our many guests who return and becoming part of the hotel 'family'.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

You should give it a try!
Simply loved this hotel! Service is great. It is clean. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Location - safe, secure and easily, accessible ( public transport...shopping area...mosques). The rooms are cosy, and comfortable. Wifi - excellent. Views from rooftop restaurant - simply spectacular. You should give it a try.
I chose this hotel because it is conveniently close to central mosque and halaal restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Sadi-sedi
I was sorry that I did not have the opportunity to meet you whilst you were a guest at Saigon River Hotel. I have always been very proud of our staff and with time they have very much taken a stance of ownership in their individual roles.
I was very pleased to hear that without hesitation they we are able provide for your dietary needs etc, at a significant time of your spiritual calendar.
You really raised and awareness for us, not only in regards to your dietary needs etc, but also that we have, in the past focused on the hotel being well located to many historical buildings, museums and the ultimate in establishments for retail therapy. I feel very remiss that we had never addressed spiritual needs and places of worship. You are correct in that there is a mosque one street away and also several Halal restaurants and Notre dame Cathedral is just also walking distance. Hindu and Buddhist Temples are also conveniently located and should you just want a tranquil park to relax in, or hug a tree, early planners did well in providing a significant number of green spaces to service your needs.
Traveling is such a special privilege and provides special opportunities to meet and experience cultural differences. It was a pleasure having you stay at our hotel and thank you for sharing your culture with us, importantly adding a depth to the services we provide. Hen gap lai - See you again!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just a couple of blocks from the Opera House, this tiny hotel is well located. There are markets, restaurants etc all within walking distance. Breakfast is served on a rooftop area with pleasant breezes. The rooms are fine and wifi works in the 2 rooms i had and the rooftop dining area. The biggest plus about this place is the staff, especially the day and night receptionists who go out of their way to help. I asked about getting a local sim card for my mobile phone, and they got a staff member to help me find what i needed. If you call a taxi and the driver doesn't speak English, they will tell the driver your destination. I would very happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank David_Hindley
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Really appreciate your positive review, so thank you so much for taking the time to express your satisfaction.
Many guests respond favorably to the service our staff provide and for me I know how hard they work and how much they try to make each guest's stay a really positive one. This of course is made so much easier when the guests themselves are open and friendly and bring their own level of care to the people they come in contact with.
No doubt you will be enjoying the rest of your travels in SE Asia and an exciting time it is, during the wet with often massive afternoon rains, bringing energy and renewal for the coming months.
Thank you again!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The hotel is in a great location in District 1. Easy walking distance to Pham Ngu Lau, Ben Thanh Market, War Remnants Museum and various other places were you can find everything you need.

The hotel is clean and the reception area is well appointed looking like something out of a interior design magazine - very cool indeed! adding great character to the place. The beds are a little too hard for my liking, the wifi can be inconsistent and the breakfast (while good) does not cater to everyone. SE Asia is characterised by it's incredibly fresh range of fruits but there is none on the menu which I found personally a little unusual. Where this hotel shines is the staff. Kelvin and Daniel are fantastically helpful and a great example of a couple of young guys keen work hard to improve their lives and they have a great sense of humour! All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet.
1 Thank Yalee
Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel and I will agree with you that one would be hard pressed to find a better location, in SG. Even being in a most prestigious location and also right in the CBD, one can never guarantee a good and continuous wifi connection. This is particularly so during the rainy season, which we are currently experiencing. Fortunately my business partner has an IT back ground and so if the problem is an internal one, it can soon be rectified. I played a role in the interior design of SGR Hotel, but should I be called in to rectify any IT issues, then I am sure it would be a different story.
During low season we endeavor to keep our room rates as low as possible and for this reason additional fruits are not provided as complimentary. A fruit platter of local season fruits is offered on our menu and many guests do choose to enjoy this. Perhaps our staff needed to bring this to you attention.
I really appreciated your heart felt comments about our reception staff. Daniel and Kelvin have been friends since childhood and love to welcome and assist guests, as if the guests were staying in their home here in Saigon. We like to encourage our staff with an informal educational program and these two boys have excelled and rewarded us enormously by their commitment.
Many thanks again and hope we can welcome you again in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel is located right in the heart of District 1 so perfect for all the sites, shops, markets and restaurants. A basic hotel but clean, safe, with everything you need when you are out and about all day long, downside is hard beds and thin towels.
A nice rooftop area for breakfast - which is good - try the banana pancakes.
The thing that most let the hotel down with the staff on reception - Daniel who from the minute we walked in the door after some friendly banter tried to charge us more for 2 people (even though we had already booked for a double deluxe) and continued to harass us everyday including one final go on check out (even though we made sure it was all cleared up the day before with the manager). We had a tip ready to give to the hotel on check out but when Daniel once again hounded us we did not give this out and left with that poor last impression.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quietest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Traveling is not always easy, as we all know and unforeseen circumstances can perhaps derail/offend, or perhaps take you off guard, from time to time. I guess running a hotel is a little the same.
I understand that you arrived quite late and can imagine tired, so it was unpleasant to have to try to sort out booking complications on arrival. Daniel has worked for us for a number of years and so was totally surprised by your negative comments. What you negatively described as banter is most commonly observed as friendliness, so my apologies and have of course passed you comments on.
The hotel has only recently been refurbished, extensively decorated and remodeled. The towels are good quality, but not of five star quality, but then again neither is our price structure. Mattresses are also generally new and of good quality, but mattresses are like personal relationships and every one responds differently.
In defense of our hotel policies or style of operation, we never contemplate doing anything misleading or underhand and I can vouch for our staffs professionalism and care for our customers, in that regard.
For some reason you made two bookings through a reputable booking website we are linked to, to cover your stay. One booking for two nights for two people and the other for one night for one person. Many single travelers book double Duluxe rooms, so there was no query about you booking a double Deluxe for one person. You may not have observed that you must stipulate the number of people using the room, as particularly in Asia some travelers would be happy for six people to stay in one room for the same price.
The issue raised was the need to pay for the additional person for that one extra night and there lies the confusion.. Our current rates are general Low Season rates, so we are not able to extend our hospitality further, to ignore the extra person who also is able to enjoy a generous complimentary breakfast, as part of the package. During the coming High Season our pricing will be restructured and of course higher, which is of course quite the usual practice.
I agree heartily that you could not find a hotel in a better location and that there are many positives for staying with us. I believe this is reflected in may of our reviews.
You in fact did not speak to our hotel Manager, as he was unfortunately not present during your stay and I am sure this would have made a huge difference, as he has lived in Australia for many years.
The tip is of little concern, but I am sorry that you were stressed during your stay. Your concerns have been addressed with our staff and we aim to eliminate any issues such as you raised to prevent anything of this nature arising in the future.