“Fantastic Experience”

Ranked #58 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
West Kirby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting family and would absolutely recommend the hotel.

It's in a good location, which feels safe. The customer service is consistently good. Rooms are very nice we stayed on the 9th floor and the views really excellent. The rooms are perhaps not 4 star western but more than fine for what you need. Made up immaculately daily.

Nice rooftop bar which usual marked up drink priced but nothing crazy. Pool nice to have a swim in, not all that big so can become busy on the terrace easily.

In general very good value for money breakfast included good quality.

Would absolutely recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFirrs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel offers excellent value and a true four star experience due to the good standard, good room, good breakfast, fitness available (only with two threadmills). A big plus for the magnificent pool on the rooftop with panoramic view over Saigon - which can be enjoyed until late - which really increased the comfort after intense Saigon tours. Good location (near park, night market, even a few restaurants within 10 Minute-walking), good service. I recommend the twin deluxe room which offers good comfort and size.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C D
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

If you just want to have a fancy hotel with good location and a rooftop pool, Eden Saigon is the answer. The service was polite and quick, rooms spaceous and nice, wifi worked, pool was clean with a good view and there was something for everybody at the breakfast buffet. There wasn't anything special in this hotel, but absolutely nothing to complain about. Would go again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norriska_A
London, UK
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Eden Saigon for three nights at the start of April 2014 and absolutely loved it. We stayed in a premium deluxe twin which is a very decent sized room with a picture window and view of the city. There is enough room for two armchairs and a table, and plenty of space for two people to get ready without bumping into each other. The bathroom was not luxurious, but perfectly well appointed and everything that we needed. First impressions are great, with an elegant lobby whose air conditioning is always a welcome relief when you walk in. And one of the main reasons we chose this hotel - the rooftop pool and bar - did not disappoint.

Breakfast was included and was served buffet style. There was an amazing selection of tropical fruit and little glass pots of vietnamese yoghurt. You could choose breads and pastries, noodle soup, hot buffet items, or order eggs any way you wanted from the egg station. The omelettes were fantastic!

The location is also good, being close to the night market and within walking distance of sights like the central post office (well worth seeing) and the old quarter walking tour suggested in Lonely Planet. At one end of the road is a lovely park that really comes to life early in the morning. I walked round it at 6am, watching groups of women doing tai chi, people practising kung fu, synchronised dancing, and impromptu badminton games going on across the footpaths.

For our first stop in Vietnam we were over the moon. In fact, we enjoyed out stay so much that we changed our plans to have two more nights here at the end of our holiday. Had we just visited the once I would have given this hotel five stars, no question. But things weren't quite as good on our return visit. When we contacted the hotel to make our return booking we were told they had no twins, but could offer a suite. We agreed, excitement at spending our last two nights in Vietnam in a fabulous room overcoming the extra cost. When we arrived we were told that there was a 'problem with the floor' in the room we had booked and that they could only offer us a twin. They did apologise, but not very genuinely. The attitude came across much more as, 'we are offering you a room, so what's the problem?'. We were confused that when we booked two days before we were told there were no twins, and were sold a more expensive room. Was this true, or were they just trying to up-sell? We were told there were no more Eden Suites available, but they did not offer to put us in a family suite instead. The rate they quoted for the twin was $15 per night more than our original booking. We queried this and 'as a goodwill gesture' they took $5 per night off the rate.

I can't say we were bowled over by the customer service. It would have been very easy to make us happy customers - after all, things do happen and we can understand the suite wasn't available for reasons out of their control - by offering to match the rate of our original booking or, at the very least, offering us a complimentary drink at the bar. Something small that would have cost them almost nothing, but would have made us feel they cared about making our stay enjoyable.

The room we were given was on the 10th floor and, when we arrived at 8pm, there was loud music coming from outside the hotel. It turns out this was from the rooftop bar of the building next door and that we hadn't heard it on our first visit because we were lower down on the 6th floor. When I complained the hotel showed me another room on the 2nd floor which has no view. So we stayed where we were. But I would recommend that if you stay here you try to stay between floors 4-7 for the best combination of views and less noise disturbance. There was also significant building work noise going on during our second stay from the hotel putting in a new lift. We were not warned about this on checking in, and no apology was given. The air con unit in our 10th floor room was also significantly louder than our 6th floor room, and I had to turn it off to get to sleep. At this point I felt there was absolutely no point mentioning it to reception.

On the customer service side I would also say that when we arrived for our first stay, they could not find our booking despite me having booked nearly a year before. Thank goodness I had my printed email confirmation!

I left the Eden Saigon with mixed feelings. I think that if you have the right room on the right floor, it is hard to beat. There is a lot that is good about this hotel. And for that reason, I would stay here again if I return to Saigon. But I think they really need to improve the service and friendliness offered by the reception staff, especially when dealing with problems created by the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floors because of noise from the building next door.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mandyc
Brisbane
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed at the hotel twicw when in Saigon. The first time the room was OK but a bit on the small side and had a strange configuration - but as we were there for only one night, we accepted it. The second time we asked for a larger room as we were staying several nights. The first room offered was next to the lift well and one could hear the lift travelling up and down. We refused that room and was offered another, one floor below, which was a relatively large room. All rooms seem to have good acoustics for hearing your neighbour's ablutions.
The hotel is fairly well situated near the park, and is a reasonable walk to the markets (dodging motor bikes all the way). The street that the hotel is in, has wall to wall hotels of either 3 star or 4 star and is popular with tour groups - whose coaches continually hold up traffic.
Not a lot of restaurants nearby, but there are a few good ones (and some not so good). There is a couple of the Saigon equivalent 24/7 stores across the road which are good for stocking up on room supplies. The hotel has free wifi.
Breakfast is quite adequate, although get down early as the tour groups seem to take over the place like locusts en-masse in order to meet the time schedule of a 9.00am coach departure for sightseeing. They then move to the lobby to await their coaches which means that you end up fighting your way through them to get to the door.
A better option is to stay at one of the hotels in the downtown area near the Opera House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift well.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AntarcticBound
Preston
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Arrived after direct 12 hour flight and hotel collected us from airport which all ran smoothly and was given our 2 rooms early a definite bonus. Rooms on 2nd floor and at back of hotel so no views but then did not have any traffic noise either. Booked our trips to Mekong and Chu Chi Tunnels through hotel ladies who were very helpful. They did try to sell me the private trip but opted for cheaper group trip (turned out to be 10) and had a brilliant guide whose English was exceptional. Only annoying bit was seeing other people pay less to the guide for the same trip, the Eden makes on you ! I had heard the Vinh Moc Tunnels are better and the Chu Chi tunnels are like Disney meets Vietnam. Mekong was ok but by the time we got to the floating market most of it had floated off! The hotel ladies even organised our sleeper train from Saigon to Danang not for the faint hearted I have to warn you, they tried to encourage the plane and I should have listened! We organised the city tour through Saigon Hotpot who offer free tours from Uni students although I did give a donation to their organisation. Only criticism of the hotel is the amount they want to charge you for late check out. One of the group left their sun glasses at at the pool but even though we asked everyday they never materialised and the hotel could have been more helpful as we asked for a letter for insurance purposes and they refused. Hotel is in a good position, clean, helpful staff and would return. Stock up on water, beers, crisps in little 24/7 opposite. Best rate of exchange at airport far better than hotel and if English don't bother with dollars bring pounds we got 20,100 for the dollar and 35,500 for the pound.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TheSunIn09
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Okay I'm here right now April 22nd 2014. This is the situation here. There is some construction going on. This hotel is two years old and they are not finished. I booked 4 nights. I get here and the first thing I was told is that I double booked the room on booking.com. As a penalty for cancelling the other booking which I have no record of I was charged 85 american dollars. So am I getting scammed by booking.com maybe. The hotel I booked in Hanoi emailed me and told me I had double booked as well. At least they notified me in advance. This place is way too expensive for what you get. 85 american dollars per night and supposedly this is four or 5 star. Well you have to pay for ice. 3 American dollars for a very small cocktail bucket. So l luckily I have my dive mask case to put the ice in the refrigerator so it won't melt. Also you can hear your neighbour's take a poo. The walls are made of paper. Bring your ear plugs. The cocktails in the lobby are terrible. Don't order anything beyond a neat or a beer. Order your alcohol on the side and make your drink. The roof top pool is nice but wear your sandals or you will slip and fall. And their only 6 lounge chairs that are always full. Toiletries. No conditioning only shampoo and a comb that you can't even use to comb a mustache through. The staff. Big fat guy at front desk has an attitude problem. Bad front desk service except from the younger Vietnamese employees. For the money you might as well stay at the renaissance riverside hotel. The spa is nice but their is no division for separate facilities for men and women. They assume everyone that stays here is a couple. Luckily for the hotel i am from San Francisco and it was not bothersome to me. But just a warning for solo female travelers who are not comfortable in a unisex facility then I would not use their spa facility. Pros. The rooms are big and clean very modern furniture. Bathroom very nice except for the shower curtain being too short which after a shower the floor is flooded. Good thing their is a drain on the bathroom floor. Free internet. Free use of new computers in lobby. The rooftop pool has amazing views and the pool is very nice. The free breakfast is western and eastern. The food and service is excellent but they only serve until 930am. Great location close to Ben tranh market and good restaurant's. Oh and break any coffee cups. I was charged 5 American dollars for coffee cups that should not have been put in the bathroom stacked up upon each other. They are always placed next to the coffee maker. Good air conditioning. Nice room service and mini bar with fridge. Beds are very comfortable with nice and clean sheets. Nice TV. Side note Saigon cooking school awesome.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends